Almost hit someone with my car, my fault.

Marissaj77

Almost hit someone with my car, my fault.

Postby Marissaj77 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:14 pm

I'm really shaken up over this, and ended up having a panic attack whilst driving.
This happened about an hour ago, and I'm really scared, normally I'm a very safe person and this is the first time something like this has happened.

I was in a rush to get home, and there was a cyclist in my lane where I was about to turn soon. There was ample room for me to over take and turn as he was going quite slow, so I went for it.
As I was turning, the cyclist caught up to me, and almost ran right into me. This was followed by him screaming at me and calling me an idiot (rightfully so). He turned to follow me down my street before turning around and continuing on his original path.

My question is,
What if he got my number plates?
And if he did, would he report me? Would anything come of it if he did? (Eg. Contacted by police/get a fine)

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

trailgumby

Re: Almost hit someone with my car, my fault.

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:29 pm

First of all, kudos to you for owning and admitting your mistake. That sets you apart from the majority of drivers, and probably the majority of Australians.

Secondly, you've learned a valuable lesson: cyclists are often travelling much faster than drivers *assume* (which appears to be what you've done).

A collision would have resulted in injury to the cyclist, and charges against you by the police for failing to give way. What you did is popularly known as the "Left Hook" and is responsible for a lot of cyclist admissions to Casualty, which is why he was so angry.

If he got your number plate and lodged a report with the police, you are likely to get a phone call. Depending on how the conversation goes you are likely to get a fine. If he was running cameras, as many cyclists do, you most definitely will get a fine if he complains.

Here is an example backing a report that I lodged a couple of months ago. It would have resulted in a TIN (traffic infringement notice) if my work schedule had not prevented me from getting to see the traffic sergeant, who was very keen on issuing a ticket:

I hope this information helps you understand the situation.

The important lesson is don't assume, and give vulnerable road users plenty of room.

Marissaj77

Postby Marissaj77 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:37 pm

Thank you so much for replying, it's greatly appreciated.
I have definitely learnt a lesson and feel terrible about doing it.
Do cyclists often report things like this? And if he did report me, do you know how long it would take for me to hear something?

Thank you!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:40 pm

The trouble with most people that make this manoeuvre is, they forget about the slowing down part for the turn and the cyclist still maintaining their speed. :wink:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:16 pm

I'd say 14-21 days after he reports it.

With regard to the above incident, if the lady had been apologetic instead of arrogant and self-justifying I'd have simply deleted the file.

A schoolmum in a Range Rover did similar later that week and made a point of pulling over to say sorry. I'd seen it coming in plenty of time, so was happy to accept the apology and leave it at that.

I'd also like to say it's important not to be paranoid around cyclists. Just follow the road rules, be predictable, give plenty of room when overtaking (1.5 metres), be courteous and don't rush, and we'll all be fine. :)

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:30 pm

You're a born spokesman, TG.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Howzat wrote:You're a born spokesman, TG.
+1, nice work, there's nothing to add to that.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:45 pm

Marissaj77 wrote:Thank you so much for replying, it's greatly appreciated.
I have definitely learnt a lesson and feel terrible about doing it.
Almost certainly nothing to worry about. *HUGZ* for being a good honest and caring person about it. :D :D :D

Cyclists can be abusive and angry because they are vulnerable and they have had plenty of experiences with motorists who are DELIBERATELY aggressive and endanger cyclists lives. But if you recognise you mistake and are aware of it for the future then fantastic!

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:29 am

trailgumby wrote:I'd also like to say it's important not to be paranoid around cyclists. Just follow the road rules, be predictable, give plenty of room when overtaking (1.5 metres), be courteous and don't rush, and we'll all be fine. :)
Wholeheartedly agree.

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:08 am

Marissaj77 wrote: I was in a rush to get home...
I've recently started driving to work three days a week because I take my son to childcare after cycling almost exclusively for five years or so. One thing I have noticed after doing this is that rushing makes a negligible difference to how quickly we get to work or get home - and my life on these days revolved around getting home as quickly as possible so I can have dinner ready for when my wife gets home so we can have a nice family dinner and get my son to bed at a time suitable for a 19 month old.

I also find I am a lot more chilled out, if I just chill out when driving (and cycling, or doing whatever).

YMMV of course, but I doubt it.

And like everyone, genuine thanks for the concern :). I wouldn't dwell on it. Ive shouted at a lot of drivers and even indulged in the educating of them with a single finger, but never reported one.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Given that most of you spend your time railing against drivers who do these things, you are all being a bit touchy-feely, I think.

I have some questions for the OP: how long have you been driving, how old are you and what type of car do you drive?
Not my circus, not my monkeys

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:20 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Given that most of you spend your time railing against drivers who do these things, you are all being a bit touchy-feely, I think.
Its because this driver understands they made a mistake and they don't want to do it again. So that is one safer driver on the road for us, and nothing to be gained from making a scapegoat of them. Lots of other drivers wouldn't see a left hook as doing something wrong, and would just carry on doing it to the next cyclist they come across.

+1 to everything tg said.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:58 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:Given that most of you spend your time railing against drivers who do these things, you are all being a bit touchy-feely, I think.
Its because this driver understands they made a mistake and they don't want to do it again.
Exactly. No need to crush her. Everyone got home safely and she'll be a much better driver in the future. That's worth encouraging.

It's important to remember we're all *people* and we need to treat each other like *people* - that is, with respect. As she has (despite her mistake), so should we reciprocate.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:44 pm

I know I've posted this before however it's relevant to this thread. I wasn't angered at all by this. The driver was clearly shocked when she realised I was there (I roll with high vis shirt and my lights on at all times). The apology was appreciated by myself.

2012 Oppy A4

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:57 pm

trailgumby wrote:Its because this driver understands they made a mistake and they don't want to do it again.
Exactly. No need to crush her. Everyone got home safely and she'll be a much better driver in the future. That's worth encouraging.

It's important to remember we're all *people* and we need to treat each other like *people* - that is, with respect. As she has (despite her mistake), so should we reciprocate.[/quote]

+1000 Somebody who recognises their mistake and feels bad for it doesn't need further berating. It is neither polite nor productive.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:59 pm

trailgumby wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:
Its because this driver understands they made a mistake and they don't want to do it again.

It's important to remember we're all *people* and we need to treat each other like *people* - that is, with respect. As she has (despite her mistake), so should we reciprocate.
Sorry TG but I cannot agree. She admits to having a panic attack, FFS and if she does that on a regular basis she should be catching the bus, not taking the car. She won't be a better driver in the future, she will be a driver who thinks she can soft-soap every situation. Yes, we are all people. But what if she had made that cyclist a "dead people"? Would you be playing the forgivness card in those circumstances?
The number of times drivers are berated by BNA members is astounding yet this one rolls up and says "sorry" and all is forgiven?
Not getting it.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:22 pm

Simply put Gorilla, it's because OP has come onto a bike forum of her own free will, put her hand up and said "G'Day, the idiot is right under here!" I'd hazard a guess that OP was expecting to be verbally beaten with old chains. IMO, it took lots of courage to join and as a first post put your neck in the proverbial noose.

Marissa, welcome to BNA and thank you for being so honest. It's refreshing these days for someone (anyone) to admit error. I hope you've learnt something from the incident- that bike rider could have been anyone, someones brother, an amazingly talented young musician, a mother of three or even your sisters husband. None of them want to meet you face first through your windscreen but many would be happy to buy you a coffee and take you out for a spin. I know I would.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:56 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Sorry TG but I cannot agree. She admits to having a panic attack, FFS and if she does that on a regular basis she should be catching the bus, not taking the car.
How do you figure that!? So it is a problem if somebody has a concern regarding hitting a cyclist rather that the typical not care attitude, its "their" fault.
gorilla monsoon wrote:She won't be a better driver in the future, she will be a driver who thinks she can soft-soap every situation.
And you know this how? She made a mistake. She recognised the mistake and it concerned her. She is much more likely to not do it again that the 99% of idiots who don't even recognise their mistake and instead blame others.
gorilla monsoon wrote:The number of times drivers are berated by BNA members is astounding yet this one rolls up and says "sorry" and all is forgiven? Not getting it.
Yes we should hate all drivers. :roll:

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:15 am

KonaCommuter wrote:I know I've posted this before however it's relevant to this thread. I wasn't angered at all by this. The driver was clearly shocked when she realised I was there (I roll with high vis shirt and my lights on at all times). The apology was appreciated by myself.

That was a lucky escape, could of been a major incident there. The windscreen pillar was probably blocking the driver's view. You got an apology which was good, that's all I ever want when I have an incident with a motorist (presuming it's an accidental incident and not a deliberate one).

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Simply put Gorilla, it's because OP has come onto a bike forum of her own free will, put her hand up and said "G'Day, the idiot is right under here!" I'd hazard a guess that OP was expecting to be verbally beaten with old chains. IMO, it took lots of courage to join and as a first post put your neck in the proverbial noose.

Marissa, welcome to BNA and thank you for being so honest. It's refreshing these days for someone (anyone) to admit error. I hope you've learnt something from the incident- that bike rider could have been anyone, someones brother, an amazingly talented young musician, a mother of three or even your sisters husband. None of them want to meet you face first through your windscreen but many would be happy to buy you a coffee and take you out for a spin. I know I would.

Shaun
Not a problem. Almost wreck someone, come on here and make a mea culpa, say a couple of Hail Marys and all is forgiven. How very Catholic.

So when someone turns a cyclist into pizza becuase they didn't see him they can make an admission here and all is forgven? Sounds fair to me.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Marissaj77 wrote:My question is,
What if he got my number plates?
And if he did, would he report me? Would anything come of it if he did? (Eg. Contacted by police/get a fine).
nah, probably not. most cops are not like CSI on tv where they work all waking hours to solve every crime, they will probably just brush him off and tell him that they can't issue fines on thursdays or some nonsense.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:22 pm

For heavens sake gorilla could you please retract such an offensive, grotesque and targeted piece of writing. That is totally inappropriate.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Ya Know, I had someone do exactly this to me in the early '90's. I was riding at approx. 50kph in a 70 zone, riding down hill.
The problem I had was that in managing to avoid crashing into the rear of the car, I was collected by the near side front guard as it rounded the corner. I went over the bonnet, through the air and slid along the bitumen on my front, grazing me from my ankles to my chin - Nothing broken thank goodness. (apart from my bike)
The Police said that due to the position I was in at the point of contact, I was in the wrong for passing up the inside - looks like things have changed for the better, eh?
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:23 pm

For heavens sake gorilla could you please retract such an offensive, grotesque and targeted piece of writing. That is totally inappropriate.[/quote]
Nah, let him get it off his chest.

Unlike some other belief systems, there will be no calls for holy wars, assassinations, burning of effigies or storming diplomatic compounds.

He'll just be forgiven.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:53 pm

Thank you, but I don't need forgiveness for anything, just answers. There haven't been any of
those so far. Nor do I have anything to get off my chest. Interesting to note the OP has not made any further contact. Probably moved on.