Lighting on the Canal Reserve to Prospect cycling path

g-boaf

Lighting on the Canal Reserve to Prospect cycling path

Postby g-boaf » Fri May 31, 2013 9:50 am

Who here would be interested in having lighting installed along the Lower Prospect Canal Reserve:

http://www.westernsydney.nsw.gov.au/wha ... l-reserve/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently, there is no lighting at all and at night, the place is completely and absolutely dark. It's near impossible to see people in the distance without using the brightest lights (which irritate other cyclists). At night it is also very difficult to see smashed glass too.

I'm thinking of approaching Holroyd City Council to get this happening. There are quite a few cyclists who do use the reserve at night,along with quite a number of pedestrians and runners.

Lighting the path at night would make it much safer for everyone.

I'm also going to raise the issue of the path near Highland Road where the hot-mix "patch up" after the electrical cables were put in is appears to be sinking. If it sinks any more in relation to the path around it, it'll catch peoples wheels and cause accidents.

TimW

Re: Lighting on the Canal Reserve to Prospect cycling path

Postby TimW » Fri May 31, 2013 3:09 pm

might be an idea prior to contacting council, to see if you can source any information relating to crime stats/hooliganism/graffitti etc etc that has been reported to Police. Then contact the council with figures to back up your argument if it proves fruitful. The intell officer/crime manager at the Holroyd Local area command might be able to assist. :mrgreen:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri May 31, 2013 3:52 pm

Yeah, was going to do that. Just sounding out interest in the idea before I start doing the pencil-pushing.

I can think of more worthy projects, but this one seems like a relatively quick and easy upgrade that will benefit a lot of people. Other things on my mind are getting a proper smooth bike-lane along the edge of Chandos Road and Trivett Street as an alternative to the existing road and linking up to the M7 - but that's got about as much chance of happening as me winning lotto. :mrgreen:

Although I might try my hand at that too. Different council though. :)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:11 am

That would be great. Really enjoyed the path down there! Would be even better if it went somewhere at the end lol

I partially retract that comment, the path seems continuous right through to Fairfield?!

I full retract that one, you can stay on bike paths crossing maybe one street every 4kms on average, for a loop through City Farm and past Yennora Station, for about 40kms :shock: that's seriously awesome. Lots of good solid straight stuff as well. Might be a wife special ....

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:31 am

Xplora wrote:That would be great. Really enjoyed the path down there! Would be even better if it went somewhere at the end lol

I partially retract that comment, the path seems continuous right through to Fairfield?!

I full retract that one, you can stay on bike paths crossing maybe one street every 4kms on average, for a loop through City Farm and past Yennora Station, for about 40kms :shock: that's seriously awesome. Lots of good solid straight stuff as well. Might be a wife special ....
Leigh, the end of the pathway offers not only your option, but a path to Parramatta, down to Homebush, then out to Brighton Le Sands and Kurnell :mrgreen:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:54 pm

TimW wrote:
Xplora wrote:That would be great. Really enjoyed the path down there! Would be even better if it went somewhere at the end lol

Leigh, the end of the pathway offers not only your option, but a path to Parramatta, down to Homebush, then out to Brighton Le Sands and Kurnell :mrgreen:
You should make a brochure :D or at least tell Google Maps about the required updates!!!!!

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Now mate, if you had a garmin, you could download this link http://app.strava.com/activities/50587165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and follow it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:42 pm

g-boaf wrote: I'm also going to raise the issue of the path near Highland Road where the hot-mix "patch up" after the electrical cables were put in is appears to be sinking. If it sinks any more in relation to the path around it, it'll catch peoples wheels and cause accidents.
The cable installation is a TransGrid project - bringing it to their attention might speed things up : http://www.transgrid.com.au/contactus/P ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Shame someone didn't think to ask that the Transgrid project provide the cycleway with lighting as a
community benefit to "pay back" for their use of the waterboard and other easements being used
along the route (see http://www.transgrid.com.au/aboutus/cs/ ... oject.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

It's a lost opportunity - can't see where else funding might come from.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 pm

They haven't finished it yet... They've stil got quite a way to go. Let's see what they think.
TimW wrote:Now mate, if you had a garmin, you could download this link http://app.strava.com/activities/50587165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and follow it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks - downloading that one now. Might try it on the weekend if the weather is good.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:58 am

TimW wrote:Now mate, if you had a garmin, you could download this link http://app.strava.com/activities/50587165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and follow it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers Tim - I am planning a 100k ride and the first half of your route is pretty close to what seems like a good route - nitce to have confirmation.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:49 am

g-boaf wrote:They haven't finished it yet... They've stil got quite a way to go. Let's see what they think.
Thanks - downloading that one now. Might try it on the weekend if the weather is good.
Its a nice ride, but be careful on the cooks river path on the weekends,oodles of pedestrians,brighton also,but its the sort of ride to cruise on anywat and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:29 am

Yeah, no worries Tim - I know what some of that path is like around near the hockey fields near the boat-ramp (just beside runway 07 approach path at Sydney airport). It's not the widest or fastest. I'll behave myself. :wink:

I'll leave the M7 for going fast. I've heard of man-traps being set up on the Cooks River path - that also makes me wary.

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:53 am

The pedestrian part is closer to strathfield right through to tempe. I nearly broke my finger ringing the bell last time the big man and I went on that ride. There is a very narrow part under the tempe bridge, that is interesting as well :mrgreen:

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:56 pm

I think lights along there would be great even though I only ride it at lunch time.

I had a thought about who to contact - an action group (edit: just found it - http://canalreserve.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) was setup to stop the NSW govt selling off the canal land for medium density housing and establishing the shared path along it. I think they'd be a good place to start as they would already have the contacts and the ability to help things a long a bit.