Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

sil3nt

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby sil3nt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:04 pm

mrgolf wrote:I havent noticed any problems. How much do you weigh? I am only 65kgs, but they seem plenty stiff and strong for the application. I did 110kms with 1850m of climb on my single on Sunday and the wheels were fantastic. Topped out at 76kmh down a long hill, and the wheels inspired confidence as part of that package. A lihter wheelset will pay big dividends when climbing. You want to train roadie style with hills?

I have a 75kg friend who has had his for a few years. They have some other ProLite rims there too which seem comparable and are 30mm. Either way, with some slightly judicious spoke/hub/rim selection, you will come away with a kick bum set of SS wheels designed for hard training with a bit of quality about them, rather than an unnecessarily heavy set whose strength lies in its weight, rather than its considered construction. Unless you weigh more than 80, in which case, dont skimp on weight. Aim for around 1700. Just my 2c.
Thanks again Mr Golf, My weight fluctuates between 72-75 kilos. I like the idea of building a wheel up and since I read your thread I did a bit of research and bought a copy of Roger Mussons "The Professional Guide to
Wheel Building";)

Since I am in no rush to complete my bike build (frame should arrive today) I figure learning how to do this will probably pay dividends over time more so with being able to true and maintain my own wheels. I will probably have to do some more research on rims as I would like to build something around a set of DuraAce HB 7600's which I think are 32/36 hole hubs.

Cheers
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:12 pm

For a little more cash, look at the Stans Alpha rims. Available in numerous hole drillings and great light rims. And you can go tubeless, which I would recommend if you dont want to change tubes in the freezing cold... :wink: I have a set of Stans on my Reacto running tubeless and am running ghetto road tubeless on my cx as a commuter. Success... Just sayin'

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:21 am

mrgolf wrote:For a little more cash, look at the Stans Alpha rims. Available in numerous hole drillings and great light rims. And you can go tubeless, which I would recommend if you dont want to change tubes in the freezing cold... :wink: I have a set of Stans on my Reacto running tubeless and am running ghetto road tubeless on my cx as a commuter. Success... Just sayin'
Hey MrGolf, yeah I will do some research on tubeless otherwise i was looking at the DTSwiss R520 which looks like a half decent rim.

Cheers

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 pm

sil3nt wrote:
mrgolf wrote:For a little more cash, look at the Stans Alpha rims. Available in numerous hole drillings and great light rims. And you can go tubeless, which I would recommend if you dont want to change tubes in the freezing cold... :wink: I have a set of Stans on my Reacto running tubeless and am running ghetto road tubeless on my cx as a commuter. Success... Just sayin'
Hey MrGolf, yeah I will do some research on tubeless otherwise i was looking at the DTSwiss R520 which looks like a half decent rim.

Cheers
Honestly, on my first build, I wouldn't worry about a custom wheel build. Plenty of solid options out there for a good all-rounder wheelset for sub $400.

Not being a party pooper, just my 2c. I may have custom built wheels on one of my bikes, but it certainly wasn't my first fixed/ss build. I probably wouldn't bother again either.

But that's me, each to their own etc. There are plenty of positives for a custom wheel, as there are for OTS builds, so it's all up to how deep your pockets are!

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:33 pm

HLC wrote:
sil3nt wrote:

Cheers
Honestly, on my first build, I wouldn't worry about a custom wheel build. Plenty of solid options out there for a good all-rounder wheelset for sub $400.

Not being a party pooper, just my 2c. I may have custom built wheels on one of my bikes, but it certainly wasn't my first fixed/ss build. I probably wouldn't bother again either.

But that's me, each to their own etc. There are plenty of positives for a custom wheel, as there are for OTS builds, so it's all up to how deep your pockets are!
I'm going to do it anyhow because its something I have wanted to do for a while and now I have a good excuse. I spoke to a friend who recommended I steer away from DA unsealed hubs during the winter so I am going to go middle of the road like Miche Primato and see how I go, worst case I pull it apart and rebuild it again for summer with DA.

In other news my frame arrived yesterday, I really like it finished quite well for a cheaper priced frame.

Photos taken from my S2 are as usual !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! but I could not be bothered charging my camera for the occasion.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Can anyone make a headset recommendation ? I was looking at http://www.this link is broken/hope-threadless-headset/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am completely open to suggestion on this one.

I just ordered by DT Swiss RR585 Rims and the Miche Primato hubs ready for my wheel build hurray :)

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:33 pm

I scored a Crank Bros XC headset from c r c for very little a couple of months back. I love it because it is tiny and elegant.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:56 pm

mrgolf wrote:I scored a Crank Bros XC headset from c r c for very little a couple of months back. I love it because it is tiny and elegant.
Hey mate nice, I bought a hope one of Wiggle had some very good reviews and it was on sale :)

http://www.this link is broken.au/hope-threadless-headset/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Mon May 13, 2013 9:37 pm

I will finish this build by the end of the month I have been unfortunately too busy with selling and buying a new house so things were delayed.

Anyhow here is a couple of pics of the new gear:

Everything sitting ready to put together. My Larry Frame and sitting behind it the set of DT Swiss RR585 rims ready to build.

My Shimao TT78 Leavers for the end of the bars

My Miche Primato Advanced Chainset with Miche Performance brakes and Miche Primato Large flange hubs. Shimano 540 something pedals, Hope QR seat Clamp

My Hope threadless headset (Have to say great headset so easy to fit and great quality)

I'am just waiting on a couple of bits now , Charge Spoon Saddle, Ritchey Classic Polished Stem, Profile Designs OS Wing Bar.

Can't wait to get it on the road so I can give my Road bike a break through the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! weather :)

takai

Postby takai » Tue May 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Hehe. I've done almost 500km on mine since you got yours :p. as for the comfort/quality i have loved it, apart from some questionable choices of clothing. One pair of pants I have rubs rather awkwardly ;)

Looks like a good build.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Tue May 14, 2013 5:26 pm

takai wrote:Hehe. I've done almost 500km on mine since you got yours :p. as for the comfort/quality i have loved it, apart from some questionable choices of clothing. One pair of pants I have rubs rather awkwardly ;)

Looks like a good build.
Hey mate, that's good to hear your enjoying the frame I can't wait now, it should be fun to ride to work and back on this bad boy. My road bike can then retire to weekend only duty and I can start planning my next bike project ;)

So far I am glad my wife has not seen my build cost spreadsheet because I think it has eclipsed the cost of my first carbon road bike :/

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Tue May 21, 2013 12:16 am

I have been trying to work out a stack height I like prior to cutting my fork steerer tube... I have modeled it on my road bike but I guess I would rather use all my spacers and reduce the height rather than cut too low right off the bat. Anyone else have any advice on getting the right stack height ?

I threw my PD handlebar on the stem and the Shimano TT brake levers on the bars to see what it looks like.

Got my WI freewheel and all the rest of my bits to finish my build. Now I just need some spare time :)

HLC

Postby HLC » Tue May 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Set the stem up to where it is equivalent with your roadie, and chop the steerer a cm above that. 3cm if you are nervous.

Gives you a little bit of space to play with.

5cm is about the max amount of spacers you would want to run on a carbon steerer, you can probably run more on a steel steerer but it would look terrible.

I am also the worst person to ask, as all my stems are slammed (apart from my planet X, as that is my pub bike/beater).

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Tue May 21, 2013 4:02 pm

HLC wrote:Set the stem up to where it is equivalent with your roadie, and chop the steerer a cm above that. 3cm if you are nervous.

Gives you a little bit of space to play with.

5cm is about the max amount of spacers you would want to run on a carbon steerer, you can probably run more on a steel steerer but it would look terrible.

I am also the worst person to ask, as all my stems are slammed (apart from my planet X, as that is my pub bike/beater).
Cheers,I will do just that and go a cm above my roadie for the sake of adjustment. Its currently around 4.3-5 cm spaced to the stem.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Hey folks I finished my project for the most part and I have been riding it fixed this weekend but I noticed a creaking sound almost ping like when standing on the pedals. I thought it could be my cranks so I checked they were tight which they are, I guess I could pull them off and check the BB too but I know that was tight and greased well when I fitted it.

If anyone has experienced anything similar and could point me in the right direction that would be a big help.

Cheers

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:22 pm

"Ping" sounds like spokes, new wheels?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:26 pm

Yeah but I did stress them really well before hand, I had considered the spokes but the sound sounded like it was coming from the BB crank area but maybe that is the case ?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Anything's possible. Noises from the BB area can be one of the hardest to diagnose.
You greased everything before installation?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Anything's possible. Noises from the BB area can be one of the hardest to diagnose.
Yeah I put a fare bit of grease on the threads for both the BB and frame. If it continues I may just strip it and re-grease anyhow just to rule it out.

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:21 pm

sil3nt wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Anything's possible. Noises from the BB area can be one of the hardest to diagnose.
Yeah I put a fare bit of grease on the threads for both the BB and frame. If it continues I may just strip it and re-grease anyhow just to rule it out.
Could be loose bb cups.

Could be your seat post.

Could be your seat rails.

Could be loose and/or missing chainring bolts.

takai

Postby takai » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:03 am

I had an annoying creak on my Larry when I first built it. Was the end of the seat post rubbing against the water bottle bosses.
Second creak was after switching to the Rival cranks and the chain ring bolts had a touch of surface rust on the mating faces. Alu bolts and a touch of grease fixed that one.

Now I have a persistent croak when riding it. But that's just my cough flaring up in cold weather.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks for the advice guy's, I will check all the above mentioned places and give it a going over with some grease:)

Here is the almost finished product, I rode it fixed over the weekend for a bit of fun :

And here is a crappy phone photo I took after its maiden commute to work this morning with the brakes fitted :

Thanks to everyone for any advice given in this thread so far its made this whole project a great and enjoyable learning experience..... Now onto my next project ;)

yolk

Postby yolk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:59 pm

Good to finally see the bike with all it's pieces in place. Those chains looks massive !! What bottom bracket did you end up using ?

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:37 pm

yolk wrote:Good to finally see the bike with all it's pieces in place. Those chains looks massive !! What bottom bracket did you end up using ?
Yeah the chain is heavy duty, I love it. I ended up just using the Miche Primato BB as it was designed to fit that chainset.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:31 am

Pulled the crank and BB greased the crap out of everything tightened it all back up and now it is smoooooooooth and silky under power no creak :)