QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

The 2nd Womble

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Will do. I have to redo them as I lost the document, but PM me your email addy and I'll send it to you later on :)
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:16 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Will do. I have to redo them as I lost the document, but PM me your email addy and I'll send it to you later on :)
Lost?
Remind me not to partake of your latest batch of scones... :P
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Ah, this week I'm making a piping hot potentially hospital admitting soufflé recipe.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:58 pm

PMed and now I expect scones as well :-)
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:18 pm

darkelf921 wrote:PMed and now I expect scones as well :-)
Got it and no. I lost enough blood last time. My hand doesn't (shouldn't) need to go into the blender for soufflé's.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:01 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Ah, this week I'm making a piping hot potentially hospital admitting soufflé recipe.
It'll be interesting reading your typing through a haze of burn cream and bandages...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:22 am

New Colour version finalised. I'm in a defensive driving course today so I can email this to those interested tonight. PM me if anyone else in QLD is keen to help out.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:44 pm

This from an SCA supporter at 11.30am:
"Speech in Qld Parliament now by Deupty Leader of Opposition supporting cycle safety & share the road. Specific reference to Tanya, the bus tour company & Cairns Post (1.5m) campaign."
I'll try to get hold of the Hansard today, but There is now quite obviously growing bipartisan support for 1.5m in Qld. Thank you and good night!

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:38 pm

From Today's Queensland Parliamentary Hansard. Spoken by Deputy Opposition Leader Curtis Pitt MP:

Bicycle Safety
Mr TROUT (Barron River—LNP) (11.30 am): Just recently the people of Cairns were horrified by the heart-rending loss of a vibrant, much loved community member, Tanya Roneberg, in a cycling accident made all the more distressing by the fact that it was caused by a P-plater driving under the influence at 7 am. Tanya was the sixth cyclist to be killed on Far North Queensland roads in just three years. Her death has sparked a huge debate over cycling safety in our region and elicited high emotions and finger pointing from both sides of the white line.
Our local newspaper, The Cairns Post, has begun a Share the Road campaign, the Facebook site for which has prompted hundreds of comments from both cyclists and other road users. I come from somewhere. It is often said that cyclists, and indeed motorists from southern states, are appalled at the state of our roads, but it tends to be forgotten that those states have a large populace over a far smaller area and thus a smaller road network compared to our huge state with a far smaller revenue producing population. In today’s Cairns Post, a local consulting engineer conceded that roads designed decades ago did not take into account the growing number of cyclists and pedestrians and that retrofitting the Captain Cook Highway would be costly.
There are those who argue that accidents would not happen if cyclists used bike paths. While there are, indeed, miles of bike tracks throughout the region, cycling enthusiasts, particularly those practising for events or cycling for fitness, contend justifiably that they cannot get up speed on a bikeway shared by pedestrians. Racing bike owners would also argue that the expansion joints in the concrete of bike paths cause rapid deterioration of expensive bikes.
Share the Road has excellent intentions, but those on both sides of the argument need to accept the part they have to play to ensure Tanya’s untimely death was the last. How do they do this? The only solution is shared recognition of danger, mutual respect between cyclists and drivers and working cooperatively towards measures that will prevent any further tragedy.
Last week I spoke to the manager of one of the largest fleets of coaches in Cairns, Down Under Tours, whose vehicles travel all over the region, including north to Port Douglas along the coastal highway and west up the single lane, winding range roads to the Atherton Tablelands. He was quick to point out that there were some roads around the area that are, without a doubt, best avoided by cyclists. As both a cyclist and a driver of huge vehicles, he certainly sees both sides of the coin. While excusing himself for the pun, he insists cycling safety is a two-way street with cyclists and motorists needing to show each other due respect. As an operator of a fleet of coaches, Down Under Tours has taken the safety message on board literally, utilising the rear of their coaches as a travelling billboard to push the safety message, reminding road users that everyone on a bike is someone’s loved one and they are expecting them home tonight.
Overseas students around our city pedal their way to language schools or other learning facilities seemingly oblivious of the road rules: jumping red lights, riding facing the traffic on the wrong side of the road and around roundabouts, no hand signals, with helmets perched on the back of their heads. Unfortunately the traffic in Cairns does not travel as slowly as it does in the congestion of Far Eastern cities where bikes are prevalent as an alternative and sometimes faster means of travelling from A to B through stationary vehicular traffic. I would suggest we examine options of educating these young people, either through warning notices presented to them when they utilise bikes given to them at their accommodation houses or even on entry into the country as students.
So where do we go from here in preventing further tragedy? What are the essentials of safety that will prevent another Far North Queenslander from going home to their family? Road signage, safety awareness initiatives, efficient road sweeping to ensure removal of potentially hazardous rubbish, suitably visible clothing for cyclists and compulsory cycling proficiency tests for young or overseas cyclists are all suggestions for greater safety. Adequate cycling lights, increased penalties for those who breach the rules and, in an ideal world, wider roads—which would involve revenue funding strategies such as bike registration which is not a popular choice for our cyclists—have also been suggested.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:03 pm

Seems like the opposition has nailed their colours to the mast :(
London Boy 29/12/2011

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:39 pm

The best part I read was "bike registration" does he also think our car rego builds roads?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:54 pm

It started off so well :( . I suppose you shouldn't expect more than that from a politician (aside from the excellent representation of Bruce Flegg of course.)

So to sum it up, the roads are dangerous and everyone shares responsibility, but it's mostly the cyclist's fault. :roll:

Next thing he'll be quoting Rob Ford's "At the end of the day it's their own fault" filth.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:58 pm

See the forest people. We have both sides of the Qld Parliament supporting the need for safer conditions on our roads. We have never seen this before. Let that fact wash over you for a second.
Just like insurance companies, politicians feel the need to apportion blame in all things all the time. Accept it and dont place too much emphasis on it, because at the end of the day we are on the cusp of something big. You wanted our politicians to do something? This is how it starts.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:27 am

Just quickly (I'm using my phone).

Each of the points / concerns that were raised can now be addressed and responded to by individual Queenslanders as well as cycling BUGs and lobby groups.

Let's do this. I'll be calling up BQld this arvo and saying "hey, I've got my membership renewal in front of me. What's the plan Jan?"

We can all contact our local state and local council members and take this as an opportunity to point things out.

This is our chance. Cycling is being debated in the Queensland parliament. When was the last time it was being talked about by our lawmakers?
2012 Oppy A4

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 am

KonaCommuter wrote:Just quickly (I'm using my phone).

Each of the points / concerns that were raised can now be addressed and responded to by individual Queenslanders as well as cycling BUGs and lobby groups.

Let's do this. I'll be calling up BQld this arvo and saying "hey, I've got my membership renewal in front of me. What's the plan Jan?"

We can all contact our local state and local council members and take this as an opportunity to point things out.

This is our chance. Cycling is being debated in the Queensland parliament. When was the last time it was being talked about by our lawmakers?
How did that go?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Just conducted an interview... I know who reads this thread. Sucks to be YOU know who. You can read the story the same day everyone else does and I just know you'll tryto put your 1 metre spin on it.
My advice is to stay out of Qld. You showed no interest at all in 8 years, so don't start passing unreadable bumper stickers around the place now once the groundwork has been laid as has always been the case with YOU.
Bon voyage.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:24 pm

That's pretty rude Dave, always sign off with a pleasantry...
Pretty cool finding a pic of you on the first search eh? :P
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Lolz. Seriously though, we could have had another 2500 signatures by now. Nevertheless, we will get them soon.

Just prevents them from calling our journo up and offering him a bumper sticker :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:03 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Lolz. Seriously though, we could have had another 2500 signatures by now. Nevertheless, we will get them soon.
Oh, so they are actively white anting your position and not just promoting their own? Bad form people, bad form.
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:Lolz. Seriously though, we could have had another 2500 signatures by now. Nevertheless, we will get them soon.
Oh, so they are actively white anting your position and not just promoting their own? Bad form people, bad form.
Want to see the letters from the lawyer? :)
I can always PM you the background for a laugh or a cringe.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:38 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote: I can always PM you the background for a laugh or a cringe.
Anguished wail at the futility of it more likely :(
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:18 pm

No MB, the message is slowly sinking in down south. Very very slowly.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:23 am

Womble...
Loving this article!!!!

http://m.brisbanetimes.com.au/queenslan ... 2nsxy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:28 am

This is more relevant mate :) (#survive1point5 got us to this point!). we are so close!!!
http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2013/0 ... -news.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:17 am

THANKYOU QUEENSLAND!
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 2nsxy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Mr Pollet's death, and the subsequent acquittal of the truck driver involved in the accident, sparked calls for change and a petition from Safe Cycling Australia advocating the introduction of new overtaking laws.
The push led the Member for Moggill Bruce Flegg to call for a mandatory one metre minimum passing distance for cars overtaking cyclists on Queensland roads in State Parliament last month.
Mr Flegg also tabled a report showing cyclists accounted for one third of all transport related injury cases arriving at Queensland hospital emergency departments.
Parliament's Transport, Housing and Local Government committee will now consider trends in bike injuries and evaluate any potential law changes.
“The committee will take public submissions and consult with key interest groups to see if we can improve the current laws,” Mr Emerson said."

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... z2VTOvU9Rh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't stop signing yet! We still need 10k signatures!