Planning a ride to mt mee

Ryanhyltoncummins

Planning a ride to mt mee

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:21 am

Okay so I'm a little novice when it comes to rd cycling I've only been riding 6 months. Anyways I was planning on doing a ride from Petrie out to dayboro then up to mt mee then turning around and heading back to dayboro and over to clear mountain from Winn rd. then onwards home again. I've only claimed gravatt and clear mountain from the Eatons crossing rd end without any difficulty just hurt to peddle up the rest step bits of clear mountain still got there without walking. Is there anything I should prepare myself for in the mee climb or should I just tackle it, am I going to explode? Is this a challenge too far? I can ride 50-70km no problem over the various bikeways around the city not venturing out on roads much. Are there any tricky spots on that route that I should be aware of where the rd gets small? I don't drive and I've never been out on the most of these rds it's all foreign to me. I plan on attempting this ride during the middle of Friday 10:30-onwards hopefully we get some sunshine :)

Lukeyboy

Re: Planning a ride to mt mee

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:58 am

Mt Mee is a piece of cake. Its a nice and constant gradual climb through the country side. The only time I have to going up that is to take a picture, just stop and admire the scenery or to stop at a red light (road works). Clear Mountain attacking from they Dayboro side will kill your legs if you attack the wrong hill first. I think its 3 steep climbs of 15%+ and a few other steep climbs in between. It also involves more elevation gain than the Eatons Crossing side. Once you get half way you can get a breather going along the ridge line before the next 15% climb where you can observe some bloke building a 4 story house into the hill...... Make sure your chain is up to it as I broke mine climbing up it the other week :P

That should be somewhat relevant to what you will be doing - http://app.strava.com/activities/56294298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:44 am

Lukeyboy wrote:That should be somewhat relevant to what you will be doing - http://app.strava.com/activities/56294298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Holy sheet dude, good effort!

I really want to explore some of these places, looks like nice riding out there.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Pax

Postby Pax » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:34 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Mt Mee is a piece of cake. Its a nice and constant gradual climb through the country side. The only time I have to going up that is to take a picture, just stop and admire the scenery or to stop at a red light (road works). Clear Mountain attacking from they Dayboro side will kill your legs if you attack the wrong hill first. I think its 3 steep climbs of 15%+ and a few other steep climbs in between
Basically what Lukeyboy said :wink:

I'd add though that IMO Mt Mee is one of the most enjoyable climbs near Brisbane. The southern side is steady, attractive, not busy with traffic, has a cafe at the bottom and the top (if you go all the way to Mt Mee villiage (not just to Townsend Rd). It has a hard climb at the end IF you actually turn Rt into Townsend Rd, and the total descent is fantastic...ie constant downhill for almost 8ks, with good bends but nothing too technical (ie if you kill yourself you really did push the limits too hard). In addition; if you ride both sides of Mee you get some good 10% stretches climbing the Northern side....and pub at D'Agular (there is also a pub at Dayboro :) )