Books or maps for rides in Melbourne/Victoria?

flippant

Books or maps for rides in Melbourne/Victoria?

Postby flippant » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:45 pm

I just moved here and am a little bit lost. I've been out running and cycling on some of the trails here, but I would like to go for increasingly long trips, especially starting this spring. Are there any nice, hopefully current books or map collections either online or in print I should look at?

Anything from 30k to multi-day several hundred k rides are relevant to my interests. I ride a touring bike and would prefer not to spend too much time on the shoulders of busy roads.

Thank you!

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Books or maps for rides in Melbourne/Victoria?

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:02 pm

I'd be starting here
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:06 pm

The great Where To Ride series now includes volumes on the North and West of the state, the East and South, and mountain biking. Got 'em all ... they're terrific.

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:38 pm

We can also suggest rides for you, if you let us know which suburb you're in :) .

flippant

Postby flippant » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:26 am

I'm in Abbotsford at the moment, but moving permanently to Brunswick (just off the bike path that runs along the metro).

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:59 pm

You've landed in cycling heaven!

Welcome to melbs. I'm newish here myself.

Start with the Capital City Trail:

http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/media/ ... %20map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This circumnavigates the inner north of melbourne. From this path you can split off and explore other paths such as the:

merri creek trail

http://www.darebin.vic.gov.au/Files/Mer ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Main Yarra Trail
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Yarra_Trail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Sorry, can't find a map!)

Maribyrnong Trail
http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/genera ... ing/41353/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few listed here.

http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/genera ... ing/43879/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Explore google and explore the trails.

Some of them can be confusing at points. The best way to learn the right way is to go the wrong way a couple of times!

I.e. spend an afternoon on the capital city trail near collingwood's children' farm, go to dights falls, go into yarra bend park, get lost, keep riding. fun.

HelmutHerr

Postby HelmutHerr » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Popped into the site to ask a similar question, so I'll just piggyback this thread. :P

Can anyone recommend a site nearish to the Melbourne metro area with a nice BBQ setup (or at least tables) that's near some okay trails and tracks?

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Fairfield park on the MYT or Studley Park not far away on the Boulevard
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:30 am

KenGS wrote:Fairfield park on the MYT or Studley Park not far away on the Boulevard
This.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:05 am

HelmutHerr wrote:Popped into the site to ask a similar question, so I'll just piggyback this thread. :P

Can anyone recommend a site nearish to the Melbourne metro area with a nice BBQ setup (or at least tables) that's near some okay trails and tracks?
MYT near Swan St Bridge - on the Botanic Gardens side has multiple BBQ areas.

two-flat-tyres

Postby two-flat-tyres » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:17 am

G'day, everyone, first post here.

Just to add to the already great suggestions, I have a few others that seem to rarely get a mention on bicycle forums.
I live in West Brunswick, so most of my rides take me north away from the city.
One of my favourites is Mount Ridley http://vro.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/portr ... ion_ridley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. This overlooks Craigieburn, further a field to Melbourne ; and on a clear day one can see right across the bay.
To get there: you can ride north along the Merri Creek track to the metro-ring-road bike track.
Turn towards the east track besides the ring-road, crossover the bridge over the ring-road.
This takes you to the Galada-Tambore track which runs along side the Hume freeway extension to Craigieburn.
One of best things of this track is that it is a wide pavement; there is rarely is any pedestrians; and, there is never any knuckle-head dog owners. So when doing the return trip; and if there is a north wind, doing 40-50kM/h is not a real danger.

Also, if you use the Merri Creek track, you can do a few laps on the Brunswick velodrome on the way through. Though, I much prefer
the Coburg velodrome, as it is much steeper(42degree);and hardly any one uses it. Most of the time When I use it, I'm the only one there. Which is great if you want to do some, fast, flat out cycling without having to worry about motor vehicle drivers trying to kill you. The Coburg velodrome isn't to far away from the Merri creek track; it's a bit obscure on getting there if you don't know the area too well.

Another good ride is going out to Woodlands park http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks ... toric-park" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, on the other side of Melbourne airport . Getting there is is basically following the Moonee Ponds creek. It is advisable to not use a road bike for this adventure as the top end is mainly gravel tracks.

Cheers
--two flat tyres

HelmutHerr

Postby HelmutHerr » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really need to spend more time on the MYT. I'll check out the sites this weekend.

Top post, two-flat-tyres. I find myself heading north-north-east pretty often, so I'll have a look.