Helmet - Australia Standard sticker

Yonas

Helmet - Australia Standard sticker

Postby Yonas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Hi

I'm in need of a new helmet. As you may know buying locally and overseas is a big gap in price.
Wiggle currently is not selling helmet to Australia due to they are in progress of updating about the sticker for Aus standard. I don't know when they're going to start selling again.
c r c has the helmet I want but didn't say if their helmets comply with AU std.

I do not race, I ride for fun with friends. I do ride for charities or events like Cyclosportif. I do have BWA membership card.
Wonder if my helmet isn't compliant with AU std, will BWA still cover my insurance?

Do you think getting helmet with no Aus sticker is okay for my need?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Helmet - Australia Standard sticker

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:14 am

A Probably not.
B No, for the above stated reason. Why give that clown that right crossed you ANY chance to say that your injuries are all your own fault.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:16 am

Yonas wrote:Wonder if my helmet isn't compliant with AU std, will BWA still cover my insurance?
there's a thread at the moment discussing BQ membership insurance (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). This is the main point:
We will not pay for any Injury directly or indirectly caused or contributed to by, or in the consequence of ...
... engaging in illegal activities at the time of the Injury or not complying with the road laws
and/or legislation applicable to the State which they are cycling in;
so not have an AU helmet means you are not complying with the road laws....

kx315

Postby kx315 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:08 am

Insurance company's are looking for any excuse not to pay a claim so why give them one to save a few bucks in the short term. Personally when it comes to my head I think it is pretty important and it is not something I question spending a few bucks on protecting :wink:
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

richbee

Postby richbee » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:13 am

Buy the helmet from c r c.
Go into Big W, K-Mart, Aldi, Anaconda, wherever and buy a cheap $10 kids helmet.
Remove sticker and transfer to new helmet.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:22 am

richbee wrote:Remove sticker...
Which is designed to self destruct if removed...

Somehow, methinks that if bastigeinsurors.com was to discover this practice they would not only disallow a claim but push for fraud charges.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:39 am

kx315 wrote:Insurance company's are looking for any excuse not to pay a claim so why give them one to save a few bucks in the short term. Personally when it comes to my head I think it is pretty important and it is not something I question spending a few bucks on protecting :wink:
victoria - and i believe all of australia - has compulsory, no-fault 3rd party injury insurance schemes. you can ride down the wrong way of a freeway, head on into the traffic with plastique explosives strapped to your body and shouting "allahu akhbar!!", and you are still covered for injury costs. there is no excuse for insurance companies not to pay out.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:44 am

jules21 wrote:that's great. that'll cover your injuries. won't cover the damage you cause to someone else's car/property

it's the only part you have to buy locally.
jules

as per the discussion, BWA will find any excuse not to pay out. If you are breaking the law, they won't pay out (a part of the membership is accident insurance). Breaking the law includes not wearing an AU helmet.....
Last edited by jasonc on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:04 pm

jasonc wrote:that's great. that'll cover your injuries. won't cover the damage you cause to someone else's car/property
but whether your helmet has an AS sticker or not will have no impact on your liability for property damage.

i'm not saying you should avoid buying AS approved helmets, only that it's just another of 1000s of rules and regulations, no less or more important. it's not that big a deal.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:28 pm

jules21 wrote:
kx315 wrote:Insurance company's are looking for any excuse not to pay a claim so why give them one to save a few bucks in the short term. Personally when it comes to my head I think it is pretty important and it is not something I question spending a few bucks on protecting :wink:
victoria - and i believe all of australia - has compulsory, no-fault 3rd party injury insurance schemes. you can ride down the wrong way of a freeway, head on into the traffic with plastique explosives strapped to your body and shouting "allahu akhbar!!", and you are still covered for injury costs. there is no excuse for insurance companies not to pay out.
Wouldn't your example come under an act of terrorism, Jules21? Pretty sure most insurers don't cover acts of terrorism/war/riot even for the injured party who had no part in causing the incident.

If you want to save a few dollars, Yonas, then why not go and buy a KMart helmet and use that one until Wiggle or c r c start selling Aus compliant stickered helmets??? I know the KMart helmet won't be pretty or as comfortable as your intended helmet, but it has the Australian compliant sticker. Or you could try an online Australian retailer?

Pity you're not in Melbourne as the bikeshare scheme sells the blue 'Melbourne' helmets for $5 - they are quite the fashion accessory around town for some cyclists. And now that they are trialling free helmets on the bikes you could just get one that way - free! :P

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Summernight wrote: Wouldn't your example come under an act of terrorism, Jules21? Pretty sure most insurers don't cover acts of terrorism/war/riot even for the injured party who had no part in causing the incident.
precisely! wearing an AS-approved helmet will not save you there, so go ahead and buy one from o/seas :D

Yonas

Postby Yonas » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:57 am

So the helmet must be direct AS certification, not even International CE – CPSC – AS certification certification is acceptable?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:15 pm

Yes, specifically AS/NZS 2063:2008 if the lid was made after a certain fairly recent date that escapes me. Lids compliant with the earlier AS/NZS 2063 standard are still OK to use but not sell.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:57 pm

^^^^ What he said.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:04 pm

If you want a visored helmet that is AS stickered, AS compliant, and cheaper even than those available from OS, may I suggest Kali Protectives.

I did a review on one awhile back on this site and it is my favourite helmet for comfort, the styling is as good as any of the name brands and it's half the price.

I think site admin AUBicycles has one as well and is pretty happy with it. A couple of my riding mates shocked me by buying on the basis of my recommendation :shock: and are happy with theirs too. Personally, I'd have thought the sight of my ugly mug under one of Kali's helmets should have frightened them off, but I guess that shows you how good looking the helmets are :lol:

No neither of us are sponsored, unless you count being able to retain the review item after the pieces were published.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:39 pm

^^^^ What he said.

I commute under a Kali Amara. Great lid but it may be a little too well vented for a Melbs winter, we'll see.
The visor can be popped off if you like your nose sunburnt.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:49 pm

:lol:

I took to using a bandana this week under my lid for the first time this winter. Kept my noggin nicely warm. It was my Il Pirato one. ;) I just need a big gold dangly earring to go with it!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:55 pm

trailgumby wrote::lol:

I took to using a bandana this week under my lid for the first time this winter. Kept my noggin nicely warm. It was my Il Pirato one. ;) I just need a big gold dangly earring to go with it!
And nose enhancement surgery :wink:

I haven't had to drag the GE Baked Beanie out yet this year but methinks coming home at 2100ish tomorrow might open the innings.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mark Kelly

Postby Mark Kelly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:48 pm

http://www.this link is broken.au/road-helmets-1/ carries AS/NZS certified helmets, currently they only stock MET brand, the prices seem identical to UK pricing.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Mulger bill wrote:

And nose enhancement surgery :wink:
i ride with a bandana and having italian blood, didn't need to get a nose job. however, having to tuck it under a helmet doesn't do the Il Pirata look justice :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
The last helmet I replaced I tried to remove the sticker just out of curiosity. Believe me, it ain't happening.

+1 to all the comments about Big W helmets, I use Rosebank Escape helmets http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisure/b ... l-blue-hex" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I have 3 so when they start to smell I can soak the pads in bleach and wear another one :lol: ) and for $19 you can't really complain. As you would expect they are not as well ventilated as more expensive helmets, but it's really not much of a difference, I like to push myself pretty hard and sweat a LOT and it's not like i'm going to get heatstroke because i'm wearing one of those rather than a Specialized/Limar/whatever.

They meet the same standard so if you can't afford the fancy one you want, just use one of these til you've saved up.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:21 pm

I always wear a bandanna, keeps the head and the tops my dumbo ears nice and warm in winter, keeps the helmet pads nice a dry and soaks up the sweat in summer.

As for the standards there is reason there certified, In the event of a prang they have been tested and have to past some pretty hefty tests. I for one would rather pay the extra dollars from my local LBS knowing that my helmet is certified, for me its how much my is my life worth and have been in accidents in past where the helmet has saved my life ( just not my wrists from breaking). if you want to but a import that's not certified and do a dodgey with the stickers go for it . But regardless of 3rd party insurance or bike specific insurance I think your life is more important than saving a few dollars.

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:36 pm

I bought this - http://www.this link is broken/met-inferno-ult ... certified/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - seems ok to me?

richbee

Postby richbee » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:14 am

Mulger bill wrote:

Somehow, methinks that if bastigeinsurors.com was to discover this practice they would not only disallow a claim but push for fraud charges.
I'm riding with my 2 year old Specialized helmet bought when I was still in the UK. It has the European certification which if it was considered safe for me in Europe, I'm pretty sure it's still safe for me now. The sooner local legislation recognises accredited global standards (The local agency does call themselves SAI Global???) the better it will be for prices of helmets, both bicycle and motorcycle, which are disproportionately expensive compared to what can be obtained with the EN label elsewhere in the world.
As for the designed to self destruct feature of the SAI sticker, I bought a Bell helmet for my daughter from Anaconda and the AIS sticker virtually fell out and I had to put it back in with double sided tape.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:40 am

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/04/austr ... d-to-know/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;