QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

The 2nd Womble

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:33 am

http://www.scottemerson.com.au/media/me ... bikes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:33 am

http://www.scottemerson.com.au/media/me ... bikes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:51 am

Wherever you live in Australia, please VOTE in the CM poll being conducted today. It WILL add further to this debate.
http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/queens ... 6658948691" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:35 am

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 2nsxy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:37 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:Wherever you live in Australia, please VOTE in the CM poll being conducted today. It WILL add further to this debate.
http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/queens ... 6658948691" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can't vote for more than one option except by selecting the last option which means you vote for everything which I don't want to do. The poll is useless.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:13 am

Not exactly, it still lends additional weight to the call for a change to the current law.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:17 am

Ross wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:Wherever you live in Australia, please VOTE in the CM poll being conducted today. It WILL add further to this debate.
You can't vote for more than one option except by selecting the last option which means you vote for everything which I don't want to do. The poll is useless.
But nicely worded to appeal to the typical Gooier Male commentor. Hit the 1m+ button and be done.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Uh oh, it's now in the hands of a committee. I feared that would happen.
You have officially become your parents.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Ross wrote:
But nicely worded to appeal to the typical Gooier Male commentor. Hit the 1m+ button and be done.
I thought we wanted 1.5m?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Don't worry, we do want 1.5m. We didn't create the poll.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Bicycle Qld's being given the credit for the proposed review. Right now I'm making a suggestive side to side gesture with my upturned fist while rolling my eyes. And men can't do two things at once, pffft.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:20 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Bicycle Qld's being given the credit for the proposed review. Right now I'm making a suggestive side to side gesture with my upturned fist while rolling my eyes. And men can't do two things at once, pffft.

LOL
2012 Oppy A4

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Just saw AGF take the Kudo's on ABC News. All through the report it was "1 meter".

NO WE ARE SAYING 1.5mtrs
2012 Oppy A4

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:16 pm

I did vote, but I hated having to choose all of the above. Because cyclists shouldn't be banned from multiple lane roads.
KonaCommuter wrote:Just saw AGF take the Kudo's on ABC News. All through the report it was "1 meter".

NO WE ARE SAYING 1.5mtrs
What happened to the AGF representative on this forum here? Can't she see that we DEMAND 1.5 METRES! AGF should get behind this 1.5 metre campaign fully and make it work for the better of all cyclists.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:22 pm

g-boaf wrote:What happened to the AGF representative on this forum here? Can't she see that we DEMAND 1.5 METRES! AGF should get behind this 1.5 metre campaign fully and make it work for the better of all cyclists.
I may very well be wrong, and if so, I apologise profusely.
I seem to recall that AGF rely in some small part on funding from "external" sources so I'm sure they would not be into biting the hand that feeds them.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Do I take it then Dave that you are denying the rumour that you are secretly in cahoots with the AGF, with you so capably filling the role of bad cop ?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:24 am

Should I have put a smiley in that post so that Womble knows I was teasing him ?

Nah he's a smart lad, will figure that out for himself :D

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:29 am

find_bruce wrote:Do I take it then Dave that you are denying the rumour that you are secretly in cahoots with the AGF, with you so capably filling the role of bad cop ?
There's that rumour hey? Allow me if I may...

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:31 am

An actual Woops LMAO. I felt the rumour ought to be put to rest and that was the only email that didn't contain "not for publication" in it.

Don't ever call me smart.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:53 am

Sorry Womble that was a low blow, next time I will just insult you directly, rather than by association :D

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:11 am

Sounds good mate.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:16 am

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... z2VZf8El4x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The potential introduction of a minimum one-metre passing distance for cars overtaking cyclists has prompted calls for a serious, reasonable debate over the safety issue."

No, we're calling for a change to the law.

"As the voice of Bicycle Queensland for more than a decade, Ben Wilson quietly picks the eye teeth out of the important issues facing the fast-growing number of Queensland cyclists."

Yup, that's what BQ does, pick the eye teeth out of it, every time.

"He is determined that the debate surrounding overtaking rules, which will be reviewed by the state government, will not be shrunk to a tussle between cyclists and motorists.
And he wants the review committee to look at a broad range of issues, including what he says is research showing a lack of attentiveness from motorists."

Why, there are no other issues here at this point in time!

"The Greens, meanwhile, stress that the creation of bikeways is not keeping up with the public's uptake of cycling.
Greens Senate candidate Adam Stone said Queensland Injury Surveillance Unit data showed most accidents involving cyclists happened on roads (70 per cent), not bikeways (11 per cent).
“This data confirms that cars and bikes don't mix without an unacceptable number of cyclists coming away bloody,” Mr Stone said."

Ah yes, the Greens, our political frien... Wait a minute.
Build another bike path but don't worry about our roads, we're likely to bleed and that's a bit yukky. Thanks for trying to NOT help.
Meanwhile - and again think about who's supporting what here in Qld - leave it to our peak motoring body to be the voice of reason this morning:

"The RACQ's executive manager of technical and safety policy Steve Spalding said a healthy debate was needed about how much space competing road users would need in the years to come.
"What is important to try to avoid is issues that unnecessarily polarise the two road user groups," he said.
"It should never be cyclist versus drivers, or cyclists versus trucks or whatever."
He said safe passing distances and courtesies should underpin all road users' behaviour."

Dumstruck!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:34 am

Mulger bill wrote:
g-boaf wrote:What happened to the AGF representative on this forum here? Can't she see that we DEMAND 1.5 METRES! AGF should get behind this 1.5 metre campaign fully and make it work for the better of all cyclists.
I may very well be wrong, and if so, I apologise profusely.
I seem to recall that AGF rely in some small part on funding from "external" sources so I'm sure they would not be into biting the hand that feeds them.
And for the better of transparency, so people can make an informed decision on who to support, which external sources might those be.... :wink: :idea:

Hmmm indeed.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:49 am

The RACQ is getting involved, huh? Something tells me the turkey isn't gonna vote for Christmas.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:51 am

high_tea wrote:The RACQ is getting involved, huh? Something tells me the turkey isn't gonna vote for Christmas.
The RACQ aren't standing in the way of progress, unlike the AGF and BQ. The push continues for 1.5 because that's what Qld wants.