had enough

trailgumby

Re: had enough

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:14 am

VRE wrote:Australian "advocacy" organisations are woefully inadequate. What we need is something a bit more like the CTC in the UK. This video is a good example:
They're scared of turning people off cycling.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:03 pm

trailgumby wrote:They're scared of turning people off cycling.
they have a point. we can cry about being victims (and i wouldn't begrudge anyone who was actually a victim doing that), or we can focus on promoting cycling and reducing the risk of becoming a victim in the first place.

this is similar to the argument in the other thread that shall not be named here, except that i believe this sort of campaign is likely to be more of a disincentive to prospective cyclists than wearing head attire.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:15 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
VRE wrote:Australian "advocacy" organisations are woefully inadequate. What we need is something a bit more like the CTC in the UK. This video is a good example:
Absolutely right. That just about had me in tears.
+2

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:38 pm

jules21 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:They're scared of turning people off cycling.
they have a point. we can cry about being victims (and i wouldn't begrudge anyone who was actually a victim doing that), or we can focus on promoting cycling and reducing the risk of becoming a victim in the first place.

this is similar to the argument in the other thread that shall not be named here, except that i believe this sort of campaign is likely to be more of a disincentive to prospective cyclists than wearing head attire.
Yeah, and it's a fair point. I can't remember which country it was now, maybe Holland, where running a campaign to promote wearing helmets resulted in a measurable dip in cycling participation.

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:56 pm

trailgumby wrote:Yeah, and it's a fair point. I can't remember which country it was now, maybe Holland, where running a campaign to promote wearing helmets resulted in a measurable dip in cycling participation.
That occurred in Copenhagen not Holland. The Dutch wouldn't even considered wearing a helmet! :wink:

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:09 pm

This is taking the topic off track for a minute, but I just read this on the OnlineOpinion Forum:

"Why shouldn't cyclists pay registration and display plates?

Shopping centres have heaps of problems with gangs using cycles as a blind and as a the transport to check vehicles in car parks to break into and for human targets for assaults. Home burglaries too.

Such regular events are not the stuff that can be sensationalised by the media and politicians and escape publication. For every drive by sshooting by some ethnic drug gang pretending to be bikies there are dozens of other crimes, mostly home burglaries. Home burglaries have a very poor clearance rate."

:shock: Thanks Ben Wilson for attracting the maggots.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:03 pm

A link might help Dave...

Otherwise...
Yerwot? :shock: :?
The safety thing is riding the crest of a pretty damn big wave in QLD at the moment-one that will hopefully break over other states and he wants to pour thousands of litres of fuel oil on it?

Dark forces be at work Womble, keep that flag flyin'.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:40 pm

I think cyclists should demand the right to pay rego. Governments know that it'll be a huge negative cost to them and moron motorists will be beside themselves at just how much getting what they want costs them
2012 Oppy A4

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Mulger bill wrote:A link might help Dave...

Otherwise...
The safety thing is riding the crest of a pretty damn big wave in QLD at the moment-one that will hopefully break over other states and he wants to pour thousands of litres of fuel oil on it?

Shaun
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/threa ... ssion=5843" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think the comment was page 3.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:59 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:A link might help Dave...

Otherwise...

Shaun
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/threa ... ssion=5843" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think the comment was page 3.

I had negative emotions within reading a few lines / posts :(
2012 Oppy A4

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Yes well. The OP also posted numerous times in response to this morning's Brisbane Times story. You know, the one where the journo hit the speed dial button for a few comments from Ben Wilson.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:14 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Yes well. The OP also posted numerous times in response to this morning's Brisbane Times story. You know, the one where the journo hit the speed dial button for a few comments from Ben Wilson.
Sincere thanks for fighting in our corner however I'm going to give it a rest for a while as I'm just not thick skinned enough and the haters are getting me down. They have some real sociopaths on their side. They'd kill a cyclist and sleep soundly that night. At the end of the day we'll win because cycling is the future but until then
2012 Oppy A4

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:22 pm

I think the whole concept of rego is outdated and should be replaced by a comprehensive road user fee based on emissions, distance travelled and individual wheel loading (as a way of estimating repair and building costs).
Here's my $2.89x 6 bikes for the current year to start them off.
Damn, only got a 50 on me, can I prepay for 3 years? :D

EDIT, couldn't stomach beyond the top of page two.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011