Bottom Bracket help

BriP

Bottom Bracket help

Postby BriP » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Ok so this bike that i just bought is starting to show more and more flaws as i look. its a 2011 Azzurri Pista track bike (fixed). bought it secondhand..

it came with the chainline slightly off, which annoyed me (and made a noise) so i investigated, and saw that the bottom bracket doesnt seem to be properly centered - ie one of the cups? sticks out on the drive side, whereas the other side is flush with the frame. all bearings are smooth though so its not warped or anything..

im really a newbie when it comes to these things. its in internal cup i believe (teeth on the inside?)

help, how do i go remedying this problem (which will also straighten out 60% of the problem with my chainline). ie, remove, or push in properly..?

thanks all

ozdavo

Re: Bottom Bracket help

Postby ozdavo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:12 pm

If there is no play in the bottom bracket, I would loosen the non-drive side (NDS) cup sufficiently to allow the drive side(DS) cup to be tightened fully. Then re-tighten the NDS cup. Note, firstly you need to remove the cranks, and secondly, if the DS cup won't tighten fully, you may have to remove is and clean the threads.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

BriP

Postby BriP » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:43 pm

thanks ozdavo i'll give it a hit. are there standard bottombracket tools or a variety of styles?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:47 am

The big G says the Pista runs a cartridge BB, the huge majority need something like this.
Edit, the something is the round toothy bit on the end, not all have their own handle.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

BriP

Postby BriP » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:14 am

ah i figured that, are they a standard number of teeth? i guess they bolt straight onto a 1/2inch drive socket wrench?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:29 am

You can get ones that have a half inch square drive socket. Mine is one and helps you get a bit more leverage with a longer bar.
With the one pictured you could just slip a length of pipe over the handle though.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

BriP

Postby BriP » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:34 am

sweet i'll go hunting cheers!