Min 1 Metre may be law

jacks1071

Re: Min 1 Metre may be law

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:50 pm

PB12IN wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:How about a law that if a motor vehicle hits a cyclist, the motor vehicle is ALWAYS at fault and we have SERIOUS penalties instead of the slap on the writs motorists get for murdering cyclists at the moment.
:roll:
Because I have seen a bike get hit because he came right out of a side street infront of a car and there was no way that the car had any time to stop. As much as there are people on this forum that refuse to believe it sometime people on bikes do ride recklessly and dangerously and are the cause of accidents.
How about, "motorist is almost always at fault" :-)

In any case, unless they raise the penalities - whats the point.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:37 am

jacks1071 wrote:In any case, unless they raise the penalities - whats the point.
That bit I agree with. or atleast enorce the penalties we currently have instead of regarding human life as worthless and not worth punishing the ones at fault.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:07 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
high_tea wrote: Three, we have offences of strict liability and lots of them. They're called Road Rules. Why not give them some teeth? Make injuring someone a circumstance of aggravation, for example.

I'd settle for having the driver whom is at fault wear the total cost of an incident. Ambulance, Police, Fire Brigade, rehabilitation, ER costs. The lot.

When people start losing their homes, their life savings, their future earnings. Maybe then people will start taking driving seriously.

Until then they'll fork out $600 excess for putting someone through a shop window and everyone will say "what a terrible accident"
I wouldn't. It's a lousy deterrent. For the same reason any purely monetary penalty is a lousy deterrent.

EDIT: With some extra issues all of its own. Like the fact that asset protection is nothing new.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:07 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
PB12IN wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:How about a law that if a motor vehicle hits a cyclist, the motor vehicle is ALWAYS at fault and we have SERIOUS penalties instead of the slap on the writs motorists get for murdering cyclists at the moment.
:roll:
Because I have seen a bike get hit because he came right out of a side street infront of a car and there was no way that the car had any time to stop. As much as there are people on this forum that refuse to believe it sometime people on bikes do ride recklessly and dangerously and are the cause of accidents.
How about, "motorist is almost always at fault" :-)
I agree with PB12IN. I have exercised very poor judgment in the past that has put me in the path of moving vehicles. I have been lucky so far not to be collected by one of them. Alternately, I have been the victim of very poor driving that put me at high risk. Only my evasive action stopped me from being collected. Lesson learned, now I assume they haven't seen me and expect to have to take evasive action.
<removed by request>