Low And High GI Injestion

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Rex

Re: Low And High GI Injestion

Postby Rex » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Another vote for rolled oats here...a good sized bowl of it will keep me satisfied for 5-6 hours. Add cinnamon for taste

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:55 pm

Rex wrote: ... Add cinnamon for taste
And it is a great antioxidant - http://www.oracvalues.com/sort/orac-value" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:22 pm

hey foo, if your penultimate goal is to lose weight, best to get a good estimate of your average energy expenditure, and calc a deficit based on that. what's working really well for me currently is giving up coffee for June, and doing much more vegetable soup. I've ripped off 2.5kg in June alone having my normal breakfast, then doing vege soup (all fibrous carbs, no starch, or high protein foods) for the rest of the day.

I think this regimen has helped reduce glucose volatility. I am amazed at how my appetite has stabilized with regular vege soup. (every 1.5-2 hours).

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:53 pm

winstonw wrote:hey foo, if your penultimate goal is to lose weight, best to get a good estimate of your average energy expenditure, and calc a deficit based on that. what's working really well for me currently is giving up coffee for June, and doing much more vegetable soup. I've ripped off 2.5kg in June alone having my normal breakfast, then doing vege soup (all fibrous carbs, no starch, or high protein foods) for the rest of the day.

I think this regimen has helped reduce glucose volatility. I am amazed at how my appetite has stabilized with regular vege soup. (every 1.5-2 hours).
I'm not surprised your seeing results there Brucey :) You've given up drinking a brown poisonous mud & replaced it with a nutritious vegetable fluid.

On the breakfast front Foo I'd recommend trying a mix of half Pura Veda (detox seed mix) & half low sugar raw muesli (hard to find, but they do exist) with a low sugar oat milk (yes many brands of all types of milk be it rice, dairy, almond, oat or soy can vary from 1g of sugar/100ml up to ten times that quantity) read the labels & do the research. Basically I eat this EVERY morning & find it very satisfying for up to about 4 hours.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:12 am

winstonw wrote:hey foo, if your penultimate goal is to lose weight, best to get a good estimate of your average energy expenditure, and calc a deficit based on that. what's working really well for me currently is giving up coffee for June, and doing much more vegetable soup. I've ripped off 2.5kg in June alone having my normal breakfast, then doing vege soup (all fibrous carbs, no starch, or high protein foods) for the rest of the day.

I have no idea of expenditure Winstonw or how to calculate. :( I drive a truck all day and half the night and the soup thing would be a challenge while driving, especially if chunky. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:16 am

Rex wrote:Another vote for rolled oats here...a good sized bowl of it will keep me satisfied for 5-6 hours. Add cinnamon for taste
I am looking at this but am yet to try it in the truck microwave. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:25 am

ZepinAtor wrote:

I'm not surprised your seeing results there Brucey :) You've given up drinking a brown poisonous mud & replaced it with a nutritious vegetable fluid.

On the breakfast front Foo I'd recommend trying a mix of half( Pura Veda detox seed mix) & half low sugar raw muesli (hard to find, but they do exist) with a low sugar oat milk (yes many brands of all types of milk be it rice, dairy, almond, oat or soy can vary from 1g of sugar/100ml up to ten times that quantity) read the labels & do the research. Basically I eat this EVERY morning & find it very satisfying for up to about 4 hours.
This can you get it from a Supermarket or is it only from Health food shops Zep? I have a Muesli mixture that I get from Aldi and put honey (1tbs) and sometimes yoghurt on with fruit and seems to last for a while but possibly to much sugar content overall. :|

Foo
Goal 6000km

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:21 am

Calorie requirements are easy to calculate, just find an appropriate lab.

As I've said before, "eat less, exercise more" is not correct.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:42 am

For me i find that if i eat oats or weatbix for breakfast, with some honey, i am usually hungry a couple of hours later. Yet if i have a couple of eggs on white toast with butter and tomato sauce I don't feel hungry until early afternoon. Maybe, like me, cereals are just not your thing.

Take my advice with a grain of salt though. Generally I am not that big a breakfast eater. Breakfast for me, 9 times out of 10, is usually a couple bits of fruit and a glass of milk mid morning. :?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 am

foo on patrol wrote: I have no idea of expenditure Winstonw or how to calculate. :(
While there are web-sites that can help a person good at maths and science work this out, you would probably benefit
from seeing a qualified Clinical Dietitian. Estimating your daily expenditure and calorie requirements is their stock-in-trade,
and you'll get other good evidence based advice from them.

Your GP should be able to refer you to a qualified Dietitian in your local area.

If you are obese, you may be eligible for free visits - ask your GP. If not, spending the $50 or so on an appointment can
work out much less than you'll be wasting experimenting with various types of food that don't work and end up in
the rubbish bin.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:05 am

foo on patrol wrote:
This can you get it from a Supermarket or is it only from Health food shops Zep? I have a Muesli mixture that I get from Aldi and put honey (1tbs) and sometimes yoghurt on with fruit and seems to last for a while but possibly to much sugar content overall. :|

Foo
http://www.consciousfoods.com.au/produc ... a-veda-mix" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pura veda is available at most health food stores for about $20 or as all my local stores have 20% off for the first monday of each month I get it for $16 (1kg).

Just my personal opinion, but what you've just described is a sugar bomb.

100g of Pura Veda contains 15g of protein & only 12g of sugar + 12g of fibre. I mix (approx) 200g of Pura Veda & 100g of Naytura (Woolworths branded) muesli which equates to about 30g of sugar,45g of protein & 30g of fibre. I use Vitasoy Oat milk which contains only 1.5g of sugar/100ml compared to regular milk which is 3 times that.

Most supermarket mueslis (especially the toasted varieties) contain anywhere from 25g-35g of sugar/100g. Your mixture would contain (approx) 60+g of sugar (200g of muesli), 20g in the honey (1 tablespoon), 20g in the yoghurt + 20g in the fruit + 15g in your milk for a grand total of about 135g of sugar. From what I've read the average sugar consumption over the course of an entire day should not exceed 1g/kg of body weight. So if you're 80kg no more than 80g of sugar (as a guide only). In comparison my breakfast has only 33% of my recommended intake of sugar while yours has 133% :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:16 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:I'm not surprised your seeing results there Brucey :) You've given up drinking a brown poisonous mud & replaced it with a nutritious vegetable fluid.

On the breakfast front Foo I'd recommend trying a mix of half Pura Veda (detox seed mix) & half low sugar raw muesli (hard to find, but they do exist) with a low sugar oat milk (yes many brands of all types of milk be it rice, dairy, almond, oat or soy can vary from 1g of sugar/100ml up to ten times that quantity) read the labels & do the research. Basically I eat this EVERY morning & find it very satisfying for up to about 4 hours.
hey Zep. yes, sub80kg here I come!
cravings or more likely glucose spikes were making it difficult to stick to a Calorie deficit for the last few months, esp during May when I did 1680km and lost 0kg. thought I'd give up alcohol and coffee for June, and see what effect it had. Am still doing weak black or green tea though, and weakened with the wine a few times, though definitely down on usual.

re breaky cereals, it isn't that hard to make your own concoctions.
some of my recent variants:

high protein
- 40% semolina, 20% each of wheatgerm, oatbran, soy flour.
g/100g of raw = fat 4.6, protein 21, carb 50
an attempt to reverse engineer a breaky cereal I liked.

gluten free
40% blended raw rice, 30% blended quinoa, soy flour 20%, 5% almond/walnut meal, 5% blended flax/chia/sesame seed mix
g/100g = fat 8, pro 18, carb 59

both these make a finer grain, that cooks in 2-4 minutes in the microwave with 2-3x as much water/milk mix.
or you can prepare similar to Bircher muesli, the night before.
Once blended, I store them in the fridge or freezer to slow oxidation.
I add dried fruit before cooking, and a little salt to taste after.

I can relate to those who don't find low or high GI grain cereals as filling for long. My blood sugar seems to drop about 1.5-2 hours later, no matter the serving size of any grain.
If I eat a similar Calorie serve of bacon and eggs on toast with a couple of cups of vege (tomato, spinach, mushrooms), I'm sated for about 3-4 hours. though I rarely eat that.

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:39 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Rex wrote:Another vote for rolled oats here...a good sized bowl of it will keep me satisfied for 5-6 hours. Add cinnamon for taste

Foo
Zap it for 3minutes, top up the milk after and it's good to go :)

matagi

Postby matagi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:00 am

Rex wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
Zap it for 3minutes, top up the milk after and it's good to go :)
Sacrilege! Porridge should only ever be cooked on a stove top, preferably a wood fired one, stirred by a cackling crone using a spurtle. :P

On a slightly more sensible note, if you're going to microwave your porridge and you're using rolled oats (as opposed to "quick" oats) then soak them overnight, the result will be much creamier.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Hey i've edited my post,

Basically GI can be decided when grouping foods, I would start with Protein than add your carbs or fats, add fats to slow down the carbs sugar etc.

Also if you are always hungry after breakfast, try fasting till 1pm. sounds crazy but do some reading on ghrelin.

Cheers
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.