Considerate Motorists! 2013

Treadlier

Considerate Motorists! 2013

Postby Treadlier » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Hi All,

Long time lurker here, first time poster.

Heading up a small incline on the commute home through the back streets of Nedlands, Perth this evening at about 8:30pm. Probably only doing about 25kph. Bright red rear flasher, reflective shoes and reflective elements on the backpack on an otherwise poorly lit strip (and black roadie) with a popular right turn up ahead (all non-arterial with no cycle paths or lanes).

In front of me, the road and surrounding suburban terrain washes a good few shades lighter - a car a fair way behind me has turned on their high beam as they approach (I can see this before I hear it - and run no earphones).

I keep left. Sensing not a rev of the engine, nor any unreasonable speeds, as the car approaches at a steady pace from from behind I offer a wave with the right arm. As the car coasts by with plenty of room, in the darkess I can see from the driver's side the extension of a waving arm out the window in mutual acknowledgement. Well played sir/madam, and thanks!

Feel free to share any "considerate driver" stories in this thread!

Treadlier.

abas

Re: Considerate Motorists! 2013

Postby abas » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:06 pm

Three times now I have been riding along the shared path near the Roe highway off ramp at South St, Canning Vale, WA, a truck is coming off the highway turning left into South St so he's looking right...I am coming from his left. I slow down waiting for him to move out when he stops well behind the intersection to allow me to pass. The last time he even reversed his dirty great tuck to give me clearance. I hope, if it happens again I can get the truck details as I am the first to email complaints when they do me wrong and I would love to let his company know what a respectful driver he is.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Yeah, last week I had a transperth bus driver NOT try to run me off the road. This was a new experience for me and much appreciated.
<removed by request>

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:56 pm

I went cycling between showers here in Brisbane yesterday. (Did 55km Sunday and 105km Saturday, yeah getting back to being fit!).

But I digress....

The joy of cycling keeps me going but with a wet bum and a headwind on the way home it wasn't the most fun on the way back until..

I had an old Nissan Cherry with P plates pass and a young girl probably about 17 leans out of the passenger window... "I though here we go"....

But she waves and smiles and says a cheery "G'day".

Must be looking good from the back....lol.

My wife reckons she was on something or just had recent eye surgery.

Anyway made my day.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Climbing up the North side of Grasstree Hill today, a bloke in a drop-top Audi heading in the other direction gave me a friendly honk and a wave. It was just enough support to rouse me into absolutely smashing the last hundred metres or so to the top!

Pax

Postby Pax » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:07 pm

Track standing at a turn right red light last week...blue ute with loud doof doof music pulls up, beside me..."Hey" shouts the driver..."here we go" I think to myself :roll: ..."Nice track stand" says the driver...

Nearly made me fall off the bike :oops:

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:45 pm

2011 TDU community ride, I was about 5 kms from home after riding about 180kms. Long fast downhill between me and home and I look over my shoulder to see a long line of cars behind me. The driver in the first car just smiled and waved for me to go. I sat on 60+kph taking the whole lane while he sat behind me for 3kms,I assume he must have been a fellow cyclist.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:57 pm

Pax wrote:Nearly made me fall off the bike :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

djw47

Postby djw47 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:55 am

Some motorists are also cyclists you know!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:49 am

beanspropulsion wrote:I went cycling between showers here in Brisbane yesterday. (Did 55km Sunday and 105km Saturday, yeah getting back to being fit!).

But I digress....

The joy of cycling keeps me going but with a wet bum and a headwind on the way home it wasn't the most fun on the way back until..

I had an old Nissan Cherry with P plates pass and a young girl probably about 17 leans out of the passenger window... "I though here we go"....

But she waves and smiles and says a cheery "G'day".

Must be looking good from the back....lol.

My wife reckons she was on something or just had recent eye surgery.

Anyway made my day.
Or you were wearing white... :shock: :oops: :lol:

I have had a few considerate drivers reverse back to let me go ahead of them. And one Golf R driver slowed down to let me take the round-about ahead of him well ahead of time. That was nice - but I ended up waving him or her through. Either that or the driver was looking at my bike...

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Pax wrote:Track standing at a turn right red light last week...blue ute with loud doof doof music pulls up, beside me..."Hey" shouts the driver..."here we go" I think to myself :roll: ..."Nice track stand" says the driver...

Nearly made me fall off the bike :oops:

you were hallucinating. Ute drivers don't know what a "track stand" is...
2010 BMC SLC01

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Once I heard that some cyclists have utes to cart around there bikes, how ridiculous is that!

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:

Once I heard that some cyclists have utes to cart around there bikes, how ridiculous is that!

pfft! Not likely!

2010 BMC SLC01

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:01 pm

g-boaf wrote:

I have had a few considerate drivers reverse back to let me go ahead of them. And one Golf R driver slowed down to let me take the round-about ahead of him well ahead of time. That was nice - but I ended up waving him or her through. Either that or the driver was looking at my bike...
A Trek or a Giant? I doubt it.

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:52 pm

Treadlier wrote:Hi All,

Long time lurker here, first time poster.

Heading up a small incline on the commute home through the back streets of Nedlands, Perth this evening at about 8:30pm. Probably only doing about 25kph. Bright red rear flasher, reflective shoes and reflective elements on the backpack on an otherwise poorly lit strip (and black roadie) with a popular right turn up ahead (all non-arterial with no cycle paths or lanes).

In front of me, the road and surrounding suburban terrain washes a good few shades lighter - a car a fair way behind me has turned on their high beam as they approach (I can see this before I hear it - and run no earphones).

I keep left. Sensing not a rev of the engine, nor any unreasonable speeds, as the car approaches at a steady pace from from behind I offer a wave with the right arm. As the car coasts by with plenty of room, in the darkess I can see from the driver's side the extension of a waving arm out the window in mutual acknowledgement. Well played sir/madam, and thanks!

Feel free to share any "considerate driver" stories in this thread!

Treadlier.
I agree it is nice to acknowledge good/considerate drivers.....

I commute daily on my bike and frequently happen upon drivers that are considerate and courteous. I also happen upon pedestrians of the same bent. Heck , I do my best to be considerate and courteous when I am out in public :
1) as a pedestrian or jogger
2) as a motorist
3) as a cyclist

I guess , my problem is , this attitude should be a *normal* behaviour amongst us all. As much as I appreciate the premise of your starting this thread , at the same time it depresses me..... it's like the other day when this heavily pregnant lady almost cried when I surrendered my seat to her on the train ( I was reading my book and didn't immediately look up when the train stopped for the station when she got on. It was a good few minutes later that I realised that there were fat executives , school kids, young people ... all still sitting and many actively watching her distress.... I am still horrified with myself that i wasn't aware enough to act sooner).

oh well....

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:17 pm

I never thought I would have anything to post in this thread but tonight on my commute home a tradie stopped at pedestrian crossing for me! :shock:

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Ross wrote:I never thought I would have anything to post in this thread but tonight on my commute home a tradie stopped at pedestrian crossing for me! :shock:
yeh, right ... :D ... photos or it didn't happen... :wink:

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:07 pm

OK, my second post in this thread, and second great experience with a tradie! I was riding home from work and Igot about halfway home and I got a flat tyre (3rd for the day :( ). As I had already used my last tube I had resigned myself to a long walk. I had stopped to try and pump the tyre up in front of a pair of roadworkers that were on nightshift keeping an eye on a half finished section of road to make sure no huge potholes opened up. RW #1 comes over and asks me what happened. I told him I had a puncture, 3rd for the day and I was now going to walk home. He said "I'll get RW #2 to give you a lift home." Wow! :D "Thanks mate, thanks heaps!" I said. Delivered me to my door. Saved me a ~10km walk.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 am

Ross wrote:OK, my second post in this thread, and second great experience with a tradie! I was riding home from work and Igot about halfway home and I got a flat tyre (3rd for the day :( ). As I had already used my last tube I had resigned myself to a long walk. I had stopped to try and pump the tyre up in front of a pair of roadworkers that were on nightshift keeping an eye on a half finished section of road to make sure no huge potholes opened up. RW #1 comes over and asks me what happened. I told him I had a puncture, 3rd for the day and I was now going to walk home. He said "I'll get RW #2 to give you a lift home." Wow! :D "Thanks mate, thanks heaps!" I said. Delivered me to my door. Saved me a ~10km walk.
That's fantastic. :D

To the two or three motorists (cars and vans) that have actually stopped and waited for me to pass instead of flooring it to get in front, thank you.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Three of us out on a Monday night ride, when the cassette starts freely spinning, crunch, and almost spits the rider off. It's buggered the rider is going nowhere and nor are we until rescue is arranged.
A car goes past, brakes and slows up, crawls along then shoots off; we thought it was looking for a house number on the dark and cold lonely road.
Moments later the same car pulls up behind us.
DVR "you guys ok need any help?"
Rider" no, we are ok"
DVR "you sure"
Rider "unless you have a spare Dura Ace hub and some tools I think we are stuck"
DVR "I'll check the boot"
US confused looks…
DVR : No I haven't got one with me but I have spare training wheels at home, you can borrow one if you like, stick the bike in the back I only live 2 k's away"
US "WOW"
Two of us set off leaving the other guy with Mr Kind making up stories of a murderer on the loose with a cyclist fetish. We arrive at the Monday night coffee haunt, ten minutes later the rider arrives complete with working rear wheel, having left the broken wheel at the strangers house, unbelievable generosity, and I thought I was a hero for giving away a tube the other week.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:01 am

Riding down Beach Rd tonight. Car parked a little out from the kerb, large wide crane truck behind me. Looked like a bit of a squeeze but the crane driver pulled out to give me a bit of space. Think the name was Kendricks or something like that. Nice to see driving like that but he would have been a professional driver and they are often good.

Similarly, in the mornings I ride down Martin St through Gardenvale shopping centre. There are buses which run down Martin St and they stop under Gardenvale station and generally have to stay there for a couple of minutes. I've found the bus drivers hang back and let me go ahead of them as they will be stopped in a couple of hundred metres anyway. Also this means I can get ahead of them for long enough not to hold them up when they get to the school further down the road and after the school there is ample room for them to pass. Again, thinking drivers who know that passing the bike will not save them any time and will just cause hassle for both of us.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:49 am

Bunch ride, Sunshine Coast. Friday 18th Oct.

Trying to turn right at a busy island. Several cars not prepared to give way to right arm outstretched riders 20 of us. White Pajero flashes lights and waves us out.
Then stays back and covers us around the Island then leaves island in our direction, goes very wide around us onto her destination. 5 seconds of patience 20 happy people.

Thank you.

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:10 pm

most of the B-doubles and semi trailers on my commute are great and give plenty of room when overtaking. When coming up to an intersection, most will pull up if their trailer will impede my run, and I often wave them through if they are loaded and the road is clear so they don't lose the momentum.

My considerate motorist was last week near the end of my commute on Muriel Ave. Generally numpties come down off Ipswich Rd and can't (won't?) see bikes, but this flash tradie ute pulls up well back and lets me get through without a drama. I thought wow, then when he passed me I saw 2 flash italian bikes in the tray. It all made sense to me.

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Despite Cairns' drivers reputation for being cyclist-hating red necks (which, it has to be said, most are), I have lately found many to be very courteous when out on the road. Oftentimes, I will see a car a good 400m in front of me, looking to make a right hand turn across my path, or coming out of a left side street, which will just sit there and wait for me to pass...it's really quite refreshing to be given so much space and time.

I do, of course, show my gratitude with a small nod or wave as I pass, as I think such gestures help to promote continued courtesy...and an overall fuzzy feeling amongst the community at large :)
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:13 pm

JessicaAlba wrote:Despite Cairns' drivers reputation for being cyclist-hating red necks (which, it has to be said, most are), I have lately found many to be very courteous when out on the road. Oftentimes, I will see a car a good 400m in front of me, looking to make a right hand turn across my path, or coming out of a left side street, which will just sit there and wait for me to pass...it's really quite refreshing to be given so much space and time.

I do, of course, show my gratitude with a small nod or wave as I pass, as I think such gestures help to promote continued courtesy...and an overall fuzzy feeling amongst the community at large :)
I'm wondering if this is a result of our local red-necks favoured daily news publication being somewhat pro cyclist awareness since the unfortunate incident with Tanya Roneberg? Also the DownUnder coaches with the huge 1.5 metre signs on the back can't be hurting either. But I too have noticed many occasions where cars have sat back and just waited recently, often enough to consider posting my observations in here. I'll get around to it eventually!