Let's welcome Samuel Johnson to Perth

ColinOldnCranky

Let's welcome Samuel Johnson to Perth

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:03 pm

For those who are not aware of who Samuel Johnson is, he is the guy that is riding around Australia to set a new world unicycling distance record, to honour his sister dyin gof cancer, to raise a million dollars for the Garvin Institute (cancer research) and to raise awareness of cancer.

He has pages at http://loveyoursister.org/ (where you can donate online), http://loveyoursister.org/ and https://twitter.com/loveyoursister

The previous intention to arrive Saturday has been overtaken by events and, I am reliably told, he will instead be arriving on Friday with all the associated hoopla. As unicyclists are generally such a lethargic mob, and besides cyclists are a better breed anyway, how about y'all turn up and give him an honour guard of sorts.

Details (including the date change) are yet to be announced but I will post things as they come to hand. I am assuming that the arrival will be to Murray Street Mall/Forest Place.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Let's welcome Samuel Johnson to Perth

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:10 pm

I do already have advance scheduling advice of one activity.

Samuel will be racing a Bendigo Bank Piggy Bank in Murray Street Mall around 1pm on Monday. I know this because, guess who the idiot in the piggy costume will be? And while I won't be recognisable, I still consider it an honour to finish second to Sam.

And, being hidden behind a mask, my kids will be spared the embarrassment for once. :mrgreen:

So, if you are around the CBD at lunchtime in Monday next, be sure to get there and be sure to dip your hands into your pockets for the cause.

And be nice to the pig. :wink:
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pax

Re: How about you welcome Samuel Johnson

Postby Pax » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi was shown briefly on Creek to Coast here on the weekend. What an amazing unicycle he was riding...pink, huge, disc beaks & some kind of hand rest

Good on him, best wishes to his sister,

I hope Perth cyclists get out to support him...I assume that is where he is ariving Colin!!

ColinOldnCranky

Re: How about you welcome Samuel Johnson

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:33 pm

Pax wrote:Hi was shown briefly on Creek to Coast here on the weekend. What an amazing unicycle he was riding...pink, huge, disc beaks & some kind of hand rest

Good on him, best wishes to his sister,

I hope Perth cyclists get out to support him...I assume that is where he is ariving Colin!!
Yep, Perth. After that he heads over the Nullabor arriving at Port Augusta on July 17th. I assume that he wil then head to NSW and Queensland, schedule to be announced. People can study the schedule below. There is more to be added in due course.

There is some discussion of his hardware at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63022. Other than it's colour it's a fairly common unicycle for the purpose. It's only the rider that is rare. He's had a few breakages and wear and tear as expected.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat May 17, 2014 4:26 pm

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask people to check out the cause and give some dosh, buy some merchandise, etc.

TV Doco Special on Channel Ten 3:00pm today for WA viewers. I thinks it's being broadcast simultaneously in all states.

http://www.loveyoursister.org/

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun May 18, 2014 6:29 pm

I see a photo of Samuel in today's Sunday Times.
Mentioned he crossed the Nullabor on a Uni but no further.
Article is about him trying for a movie role though.
I gave a decent donation when he came through here. Won't hurt to give another as it's a good cause.

John