QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

high_tea

Re: QLD Minimum Safe Passing Distance e-petition

Postby high_tea » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:54 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:
high_tea wrote:The RACQ is getting involved, huh? Something tells me the turkey isn't gonna vote for Christmas.
The RACQ aren't standing in the way of progress, unlike the AGF and BQ.
The RACQ are a much slicker outfit than either. Look at the incredibly devious way they characterise Federal road funding.

I think they have value, though. The RACQ's attitude to a law is probably a pretty good litmus test. If they support it, it's probably not going to do much to the status quo.

ramjet

Postby ramjet » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:56 pm

This has been posted in my local. Just re-enforces the ignorance of road users to cyclists.
http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/new ... /#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We really need to lobby the council to bend their ear in the interest of safety around this.
Any suggestions on how to go about this?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:17 pm

1) I'd suggest joining the new Port Curtis BUG for starters.
2) Your council is half the problem. Sign the petition and help improve your prospects, then your council can catch up as time passes. There's no quick fix to your abysmal roads I'm afraid.
3) I was expecting far worse comments from up there but was actually surprised. Read the comments to any Courier Mail cycling story sometime :) You have more support in Gladstone than you realise, and the spotlight is now on your council to make the change.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:22 pm

If anybody has an account with that rag, would they mind replying to a post for me?

ezygo from Gladstone wrote:SIMPLE!!! Do you pay REGO!! I REST MY CASE!!!
Yes, you so obviously ARE!!!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ramjet

Postby ramjet » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks for helpful replies, I will look into the Port Curtis BUG, and see what they are about around this issue.
Yes I have an account on that rag site, but I tried a constructive comment approach, seeing the types of comments being reactionary without real support.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:10 am

In Cairns we have the Down Under tour coaches with the 1.5 meter message on a huge sign on the rear of each bus. I fancy I might have even seen one on a commuter Sunbus. However, yesterday riding around town I noticed a huge, predominantly pink and black AGF pass cyclist safely sign with 1 metre message on the side of a Sunbus. Was huge too, full height and width equal to height. I wonder if it was a paid advert? Dunno if I should be happy that these messages are getting out there, or annoyed that there is a persistence with the less popular 1 metre message.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:16 pm

oxonabike wrote:In Cairns we have the Down Under tour coaches with the 1.5 meter message on a huge sign on the rear of each bus. I fancy I might have even seen one on a commuter Sunbus. However, yesterday riding around town I noticed a huge, predominantly pink and black AGF pass cyclist safely sign with 1 metre message on the side of a Sunbus. Was huge too, full height and width equal to height. I wonder if it was a paid advert? Dunno if I should be happy that these messages are getting out there, or annoyed that there is a persistence with the less popular 1 metre message.
You're annoyed? Ever since the AGF has ccontacted me to discuss our future "arrangement" for using the "a metre matters" slogan on our cycling kit due to it's copyrighting, the rift has grown rapidly. Until this point the AGF had seen for to us to handle Qld affairs.
The subsequent dogging of SCA since that date including several matters which the AGF have threatened SCA and myself personally with defamation for mentioning, has now recently included such random tactics as the (as far as we know) bus (singular) in Cairns to offset and undermine everything that has happened in FNQ as a result of the good work they've done in supporting and charging ahead with #survive1point5, including Down Under Tours' 8 interstate coaches.
FNQ supports 1.5, the RACQ supports 1.5, Triathlon Qld supports 1.5, Shimano Auestralia have supported 1.5 through their links to stories from FNQ and the Cairns Post, and we are still awaiting confirmation that Audax Australia will officially support 1.5 as well. We also know that many senior members of all of the Qld clubs that the AGF made sure were contacted via Cycling Australia for their support of "a metre matters" in response to the 1.5 campaign supported 1.5 despite CA's subtle hints not to. We were sent 6 emails/DM's/messages to alert us to the email sent by CA the day all Qld clubs received it. The petition sponsoring MP Bruce Flegg was also met behind SCA's back by the AGF with no valid reason or justification being given to this point and never publicised. If Bruce hasn't alerted me to the appointment being made by the AGF prior to the date we would have had no idea at all.
Most importantly, The Pollett family and the Pollett Foundation support 1.5, and the most successful campaign in Australian history which has been able to force the Qld Government to undertake a review of state RR's for cyclists with a specific focus on minimum safe passing distance legislation, with the overwhelming support of Qld's cycling community has been based around the push for 1.5m.
All that the urgent 1m push into Qld has succeeded in doing IMO is to undermine the only successful campaign ever in Australia for adding distances at the expense of Qld's cycling community.
In my opinion - and I am more than entitled to it AGF - their interests would have been better served in making a submission to Victoria's own current broader road safety inquiry, but instead you will find that not a single Victorian cycling organisation has made a submission to this inquiry. Submissions have now closed and unless one o the late submissions not yet published is indeed from a Victorian cycling body, then the cycling community in that state should be asking some very serious questions.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:35 pm

It seems like it has become awfully personal and bitter from both sides. That said I can hardly fault womble for his anger and bitterness given the circumstances.

What puzzles me is why AGF have acted in such a petty and squabbling manner.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:50 pm

We have called them to order repeatedly in the recent past, but no more than BNV or BQ or... Simply put, when we can get a result such as we have, what have the others been doing for so long with all of their supposed clout? It's a very simple question that they'd rather not answer. Ever. Well maybe the odd "it's technical so you wouldn't understand" or "we have our way of doing things" garbage.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:17 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:We have called them to order repeatedly in the recent past, but no more than BNV or BQ or... Simply put, when we can get a result such as we have, what have the others been doing for so long with all of their supposed clout? It's a very simple question that they'd rather not answer. Ever. Well maybe the odd "it's technical so you wouldn't understand" or "we have our way of doing things" garbage.
Mate, that's why you will continue to receive donations from me. Let me know when the new 1.5m jerseys are ready :-)

I do find it sad the cycling organisations can't all work together on this. This getting lawyers involved is just petty chest beating cr@p.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:40 pm

darkelf921 wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:We have called them to order repeatedly in the recent past, but no more than BNV or BQ or... Simply put, when we can get a result such as we have, what have the others been doing for so long with all of their supposed clout? It's a very simple question that they'd rather not answer. Ever. Well maybe the odd "it's technical so you wouldn't understand" or "we have our way of doing things" garbage.
Mate, that's why you will continue to receive donations from me. Let me know when the new 1.5m jerseys are ready :-)

I do find it sad the cycling organisations can't all work together on this. This getting lawyers involved is just petty chest beating cr@p.
Hoping to have an answer on the jerseys tomorrow. The current design is hurting the 1.5 push somewhat even though its the design concept that works more so than the message.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:49 pm

While the cycling community is busy with infighting....

Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:18 pm

2nd edit :( :oops: Ok this is a bill not an act. So it is not current law :(

South Australia wins:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/b ... _Print_BK6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: Still trying to figure out if this law really has been voted through or not. It says it is enacted? The bill was introduced and read in July and even then used the word "enacts" so I'm beginning to think it hasn't happened?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:25 pm

I think the vote on the bill has been held over until the next sitting date.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:40 am

The Qld #survive1point5 petition is tabled in Parliament tomorrow and closes for signatures at 5pm today.
If you live in the Sunshine State please sign and tweet, fb and email everyone you know. If we can hit 6,200 signatures it'll be a good end result. We could have hit 10k if not for the crap that undermined the petition's potential this year, but we've still put forward a strong case.
Do it for these guys, the Pollett family, Sue, Tanya, Les, Michelle and for Richard.
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-o ... -petitions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:49 am

If the police lack the ability to prosecute a fixed distance rule, how can they use this as evidence?
"Police said that in June this year Alexander drove along Warrnambool’s Mahogany walking trial at between 60 and 80km/h, coming within 1.5 metres of cyclists and other people."
http://www.standard.net.au/story/187378 ... ict/?cs=72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Just posted on the Queensland Parliamentary website. This is encouraging news. The petition, Bruce Flegg's work and the Queensland Cycling Issues Inquiry report will all be used to help the Minister reach his decision. The weight if evidence and support is irrefutable at this point. Now it all hinges on political will. BRING IT ON NOVEMBER 29!!!

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Here we go again. SCA knew absolutely nothing about this. Lights, camera, action AGF.
"@amygillettfdn We'll be joining stakeholders at Qld Parliament House, tomorrow, 2pm in responding to #QldInquiry into Cycling Issues #ametrematters".

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:38 pm

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:00 am

Like. 8)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:14 am

CYCLISTS will be free to go bareheaded on bike paths and motorists will have to give bicycles at least 1m clearance, under recommendations made to the State Government.

However when it comes to breaking the road rules, cyclists will be treated the same as motorists.

The Transport, Housing and Local Government Committee will today table its 200-page report on cycling laws after a five-month inquiry.

The report includes 68 recommendations on issues from cyclists running stop signs to the disparity between penalties for cyclists and motorists.

As well as relaxing helmet laws for people aged 16 and over on bike and footpaths, the report recommends:

• Minimum safe passing distance of 1m on streets up to 60km/h and of 1.5m on roads signed at higher speeds.

• An equalisation of penalties for cyclists and motorists.

• Giving cyclists permission to treat stop signs as give-way signs when it is safe to do so.

• A major public education campaign about cycling safety.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson will get the final say, and yesterday he was yet to be convinced of the need to relax helmet laws.

Committee chairman Howard Hobbs said he hoped the Minister would consider all recommendations after the extensive investigation by the LNP-dominated committee.

"I expect he'll take some time to digest the massive amount of information (in the report) and I would encourage people to look at the reasonings behind the recommendations we've made," Mr Hobbs said.

"They need to look at each recommendation and why we've made them."

The 1m rule for roads up to 60km/h and 1.5m for roads signed at higher speeds was sought by cycling groups.

The Courier-Mail understands there will be provision for motorists to cross double-white lines to move around cyclists in these situation.

Penalties for cyclists will be increased to match those for motorists. Currently cyclists are fined $110 for offences such as running red lights and ignoring level crossing signals while motorists cop $330 fines.

However cyclists will be given leeway to treat stop signs as giveway signs when safe.

Mr Hobbs said the committee had examined "best practice" for cyclists worldwide.

"It will basically lead the nation with new road rules which will see cyclists and motorists share our road network, rather than be out there in a confrontational way," he said.

"That's been the problem we've had in the past - the road rules haven't been looked at seriously for the vulnerable road user."

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:36 am

I must say Queensland does have some pretty good laws when it comes to cycling. And it seems to be on the cards to now be even better.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:02 am

Big applause for Queensland leading the way on this.

I don't agree that there should be "equalisation" of traffic fines between motorists and cars but overall these are excellent recommendations.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:54 am

human909 wrote:Big applause for Queensland leading the way on this.

I don't agree that there should be "equalisation" of traffic fines between motorists and cars but overall these are excellent recommendations.
+1 to both sentiments. This is a wonderful step in the right direction. While I think fines for motorists should be higher to help reinforce the message that the consequences of rule breaking in a car can be far worse, I also don't really care, as I don't plan on breaking the law.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:53 am

Yep I think that in the horse trading of politics, higher cyclist fines is OK by me if it means riding on footpaths and share paths without a helmet - if anything, higher fines actually motivates the cops to address cycling behaviour more, but in a stunning accident of fortune, this will actually lend more legitimacy to cycling in the eyes of the cops as they dedicate resources to policing the riders. You can't tell me that cycling is important enough to have a few blokes on bikes patrolling the share paths, but NOT important enough to follow up illegal close shaves.