Tannus Puncture Proof Tyres

Hamster

Re: Tannus Puncture Proof Tyres

Postby Hamster » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:23 pm

I put a 700 X 23c Tannus tyre on the rear of my commuter just over a week ago. Since then I've done around 150 kms on it. Really I have nothing to report - the tyre is doing exactly what a tyre should do. If the rolling resistence is greater it's not noticeably so and if it's slippy in the wet it's not (to me) noticeable.

The next test will be to see how long it lasts but I'm sufficiently impressed to spend the money and buy a front tyre.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Any comment on the "rolling off the rim" sensation reported by a previous poster?

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:54 pm

herzog wrote:Any comment on the "rolling off the rim" sensation reported by a previous poster?
Might have felt a little squirmy at first, but not sufficient to be an issue and possibly just my imagination. The shop (Avanti Pro Am in Albany Creek) said that they take 100 kms to settle in. Regardless the squirmyness seems to have gone :) .

My commuting speed is around 25 to 27 kph so I can say nothing about how it would handle higher speeds and in particular high-speed cornering.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:57 pm

I want to reiterate that the squirmy feeling was due to the rim being wider than the more common 19mm rims.
23mm Tannus tyres I would certainly only reccomend for 19mm wide rims
28mm were probably better suited to 23mm wide rims, but I never tested.
Remembering these will not expand like a normal tyre, you have to consider your rims internal width. For most it won't be an issue.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:07 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:We've got a review of them coming up on BNA. They're under test now (not by me), so we'll get back to you with the ultimate opinion on them. I'm keen to see how they go. At the very least, they'll work well on the kid's bikes.
I'm doing the review for BNA as I type (still got some riding to do).

I have a pair of the 23c versions fitted to a Kona Honky Inc. 120km so far and I am getting used to the different response that they give compared to normal clincher tyres. I have an S1 fitted to the front, and a H1 to the rear.

My feeling is that they are noticeably slower than normal tyres, but that is with only noticing that I need a lower gear than normal for the rides I am doing.

Grip appears to be good on the flat, but downhill, I still need some more time to have the level of confidence I'd like.

Weight is as advertised.

So far, I'm tending to lean toward the previously aforementioned apocolypse .... but will persevere a bit more.

Deemo

Postby Deemo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:17 pm

Found them available on eBay 700 x 23. Took a bit of work to get them on, but have been riding for a week on my commuter bike. Very impressed so far. Weight is interesting as I no longer have to carry spare tubes and gas cylinders

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:39 pm

I’ve had a look at a couple of bikes in the bike storage area at work that have these tyres and chatted with the owners. These tyres have more lateral movement than do equivalent pneumatic tyres. With my 700 X 23c this is only just noticeable and with the 700 X 32c it is more noticeable. With the 26” X 1 ¾” the amount of lateral movement is considerable.

My conclusion is that the 700 X 23c and 700 X 32c is acceptable for commuting and similar non –competitive riding. With the 26” X 1 3/4” as it has a much higher profile I have concerns regarding its safety.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi Hamster, my experience relates only to the 23c version, but from the effort it took to get on, it ain't coming off.

Mind you, I agree with the grip in cornering - I liken it to understeer .

Disconcerting on a downhill corner at 55km/hr when it is signposted at 30 :shock:

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:24 pm

I’ve now done around 400 kms on my rear 700 X 23c Tannus and 200 kms on the front one. Really I have nothing to report, no punctures (obviously) and no need to check their pressure (again obviously). They simply are doing what tyres do.

Mind you my riding style isn’t aggressive with a cruising speed of around 26 – 27 kph and no sliding around corners. My only remaining question is their longevity but on that score only time will tell.

Having seen the higher profile tyres (eg 26 X 1 ¾) I’d be concerned with their lateral stability, but the 23c suit my riding style.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:49 am

I am pleased to report that Tannus tyres are excellent for killing cane toads.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:53 am

Hamster wrote:I am pleased to report that Tannus tyres are excellent for killing cane toads.
No Hamsters harmed in the making of this observation, I hope? :P

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:44 pm

Summernight wrote:
Hamster wrote:I am pleased to report that Tannus tyres are excellent for killing cane toads.
Hamster survived the encounter totally unscathed and apart from a damp patch on each of the tyres the bike was totally unaffected. The cane toad however, was completely lifeless.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Hamster wrote:
Summernight wrote:
Hamster survived the encounter totally unscathed and apart from a damp patch on each of the tyres the bike was totally unaffected. The cane toad however, was completely lifeless.
Next time try something more to your Tannus tyres' size and liking - run over a kangaroo and come back to us with your results. 8)
(P.S. Not advised. Do not try this at home!!!)

I hope the cane toad is happy in cane toad heaven.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:54 am

The Tannus Musai Puncture Proof Tyre review has just been published.

Michael Bachmann takes them on for road cycling and for commuting - a comprehensive review, including installation that will give you the low-down on the practicality of these.

Xyranius

Postby Xyranius » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:40 pm

I haven't really seen anyone commenting on the 26x1.75 (Thoroki) versions of the tyres, so I thought I would add my comment to these forums.

I purchased a set of Hard type 26 x 1.75 Tannus Thoroki tyres - hard was recommended as the bike is quite heavy (see below), and only installed them today. About my bike: It is an ASEAKO Sport e-bike, used for commuting to work from Melbourne's Western suburbs (around 25km round trip). Being an e-bike, I'm not too worried about any speed difference, so I'll concentrate more on how the bike feels and handles with the new tyres.

Initial thoughts and installation - FAR from easy, took me about 2 hours and several minor hand injuries to get both tyres on and feared for the rim with the amount of force required to lever it into place. My advice is: if you can get someone else to put the tyres on... do it, it'll be worth EVERY penny.

I shall post updates throughout the week as I get used to the tyres.

Xyranius

Postby Xyranius » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Update with initial ride(s) - morning ride in dry conditions, evening ride in wet conditions.

Starting with the good: The tyres work well enough. A little shakey in the first 100m, but they were normal after that. In terms of handling, I was going around corners (in both wet and dry) at much the same speed as before, so they're alright in that respect.

The bad: they're very hard. Definitely felt and heard the bumps more, thinking I probably should have gone with the soft version, despite the recommendation from the sales guy at Tannus to use hard. I shall have to tweak the bike's suspension to compensate I think.

Xyranius

Postby Xyranius » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:05 pm

On a related note with the rain and dark conditions. I was VERY glad that I didn't have to worry that I'd get a flat tyre and have to work for 20 minutes to change it over after a long day at work in the pouring rain in the dark.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:36 pm

Welcome Xyranius.

Pleased to read the reports.

It sounds to me that an e-bike commuter would have to be one of the ideal choices for these tyres. I can only imagine that changing/patching a tube could be even more annoying than usual.

I'd also be keen to hear how long they last.

Cheers,

Cameron

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 am

ironhanglider wrote:Welcome Xyranius.

It sounds to me that an e-bike commuter would have to be one of the ideal choices for these tyres. I can only imagine that changing/patching a tube could be even more annoying than usual.

Cheers,

Cameron
I agree they would be perfect for eBikes. I saw 10,000 km written somewhere, which is pretty much the same lifespan as the battery on a lot of eBikes.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:28 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:Welcome Xyranius.

Cheers,

Cameron
I agree they would be perfect for eBikes. I saw 10,000 km written somewhere, which is pretty much the same lifespan as the battery on a lot of eBikes.
Think I'd pull the trigger if they offered 700C sizes larger than 28mm. The wife's e-bike conversion is running 38s ATM.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:03 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
The manufacturer claims that the tyres will last for 30,000 kms. I’m guessing that this is under near perfect conditions so in the real world it would be somewhat less; I’m guessing 15,000 to 20,000.

After 3,100 kms my rear tyre had it tread almost worn away along the centre line, if it hadn’t been for “The Rock from Hell” it would have lasted a good deal longer.

One thing I read on another forum is that for riders over around 85 kg or if a good deal of weight is to be carried then the hard compound tyres should be used. I’ve replaced my original soft compound rear tyre with a hard one and I can barely notice the difference.

Despite “The Rock from Hell” I remain impressed with the tyre in its 700 X 23c size. A guy at work bought some 26” X 1 3/4” and he really hates them as when cornering the tyre feels like it’s trying to roll off the rim. I’d approach the higher profile tyres with caution but as a 23c it’s brilliant for commuting and just general riding.