How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TraceyG

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TraceyG » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:44 am

Glad the Cycling Gods were looking after you TraceyG! They must have been distracted making sure you had a good time, because my ride in was a bit average - had a SMIDSY enter my road from a intersection on the right (it is a T intersection and I was on the through road) - he waited for the ped to cross the zebra crossing on his road and then waited for the car in front of me to turn right (which is also what I was doing) but then completely failed to see me, despite me being in the middle of the road, indicating and waving my hand like a loony to get his attention that he was to give-way to me. Which he didn't and he pulled out in front of me. I wasn't going fast so there weren't any issues but I think his face went all shocked when he actually did see me 3 metres away from his car.

Also had an almost left hook on Macarthur St where a car indicated to turn left into a street (and here the cycling lane clearly goes completely through the intersection so cars do have to give way to cyclists on their left when turning). The only reason there was no near left hook is because the car ended up having to give-way to a pedestrian crossing the side road.

Then, I did a silly thing when I was about 3 blocks from work. I decided to pass a slower cyclist on the left (why? why?). She, of course knowing my luck, was hopping off onto the pavement further up between parked cars and didn't indicate as she closed the left hand side gap that was there. No problems and no near crashes but it was stupid of me and I was shaking my head going 'Why did I even think I could do that??? I know better'.

Then I'm a block away from work, riding along Collins St and my rear vision mirror shows me that there is a tram coming up on my right and I need to turn right further up. It also shows there is a truck further back but should be no problems if I indicate and claim the lane early. I indicate and then, not wanting to stress out the tram driver, I don't move fully across and the next thing I know the truck starts gunning it and in my rear-vision mirror is bearing down on me with scary speed. Emergency left wobble-turn to get out of his way as he zooms past me on my right. It was an MGIF moment. I'm pretty sure he was plenty far enough away to see me and his gunning it caused the tram to have to slow down too. Needless. I should have claimed the lane from the start of the intersection but didn't want the abuse that follows when I do that.

I refuse to be roadkill after having a lovely long weekend.[/quote]

Thank goodness you made it to work in one piece! Safe trip home.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:04 pm

TraceyG wrote:Thank goodness you made it to work in one piece! Safe trip home.
That's Melbourne after a long weekend... :|

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:52 pm

Below zero yesterday on the way to work, so I got to try out the new campagnolo skylab jacket.
Fantastico, I just had a polypropylene thermal on underneath and was toasty warm fro the start of the ride yet didn't get to hot :D
I had the T7 neoprene shoe covers, giordana roubaix lined bib longs, giordana sotto zero gloves and endura lycra skull cap and was very comfortable. It was a beatiful crisp fresh morning, not much wind, with a beautiful sunrise on the way up one tree hill. 8)
Went a long way towards compensating for the fact that I had just finished leave :cry: :lol:

I decided to skip breakfast and coffee before the ride as per this thread viewtopic.php?f=49&t=65008 and was very happy. It gives me an extra 10 minutes sleep in and I just have brekky and coffee at work after a shower. I felt fine both yesterday and today when I did the same thing so I plan on doing this from now on. Nice work Colin :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:23 pm

I forgot to mention Friday night's commute. I left earlier than usual (work said we could leave early due to the long weekend- I'm not going to pass up that kind of opportunity!).

Traffic was pretty bad in the CBD due to the long weekend and I'm coming up to a light in the Collins St gutter bike lane and a motorscooter driver (with passenger) pulls his scooter to the left and then parks it with his foot down blocking the (carpy) bike lane, waiting for the light to go green. So I use my pathetic bell like the trams do (with more than one ding) and the driver turns around after about the 3rd one and goes "Just relax". I didn't think my pathetic freebie bell that no-one can hear (even me) could be considered aggressive but apparently I was mistaken about that. Just wait until I get a proper decibel horn...

The traffic at that time of afternoon/evening doesn't seem to realise bicycles exist on the roads either - plenty of them blocking that pathetic excuse for a bicycle lane or not looking for bikes.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:19 pm

warthog1 wrote:Fantastico

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:31 pm

rheicel wrote:Sort of like a foggy weather this morning is very nice.

Here is the video. Good to see that at some point, I am faster than some cars.

Nice commute - Scalp at 1min mark 8)
2012 Oppy A4

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:55 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Nice commute - Scalp at 1min mark 8)
:-)
I just saw one of your video, that was close mate. In some situations, we are too small to be seen by other drivers. Take it easy!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:45 pm

rheicel wrote:Sort of like a foggy weather this morning is very nice.

Here is the video. Good to see that at some point, I am faster than some cars.

So that is what it looks like in daylight! I was we'll and truly riding in the thick of it this morning. Visibility was about 50m in places!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Yes queequeg. I am a late bloomer everyday as I only have a short and quick commute. You are most likely working in the city to be that early.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:14 pm

rheicel wrote:Yes queequeg. I am a late bloomer everyday as I only have a short and quick commute. You are most likely working in the city to be that early.
Yep, 7am start in Nth Sydney, coming from Dural.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:23 pm

queequeg wrote:
rheicel wrote:Yes queequeg. I am a late bloomer everyday as I only have a short and quick commute. You are most likely working in the city to be that early.
Wow, long commute :)

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm

An here is my short commute to home today. Will try other video setting tomorrow.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:16 pm

rheicel wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Wow, long commute :)
26km, which is only 5km longer than my old Marsfield to City commute. It seemed long when I started, but it is a pretty good ride on mostly quiet back streets. The first 4 min is the hardest part as I have to climb New Line Rd. After that it is pretty cruisy (and hilly)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:35 pm

TailWind wrote: Lazy ride into the Melbourne CBD along the Darebin Creek Trail, but through the magic of a northerly tailwind, I made it in with a reasonable time.
I still think your name tailwind describes your luck with wind ;)

I had a howling northerly in my face down the beach this morning. So, I'm thinking it will be a nice ride home. By the time I leave work, no wind. The wind gods don't like those of us who travel north in the morning and south in the arvo in Melbourne.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 am

Fog was thick this morning...and all the way to work. Apart from the fog it was a good ride, no close incidents and had a car giving way to me instead of trying to get past me at all costs. I waved them through as I was in no rush.

Am slowly dropping the weight also, now under 95. Will be happy to get to 90 and then maintain that.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 am

DavidS wrote:I still think your name tailwind describes your luck with wind ;)
If only it were so...looks like the wind going to be all over the place today...and the BoM radar looks scary :mrgreen:

Yesterday afternoon during my commute back I was just thinking that my Durano Plus rear was holding up nicely, but was conscious of reports of punctures at less than 2000km by jasonc, for instance.
Clearly, I should have avoided this train of thought, because after getting home yesterday afternoon and returning to the garage later that evening, I saw the rear was flat! This is after ~1700km. Inspected the tyre externally for any signs of penetration, but other than the normal pitting and tiny cuts, I couldn't see any issue nor could I hear any escaping air when I pumped it up again.
Being tired, I decided not to change the tube and hoped that it might just have been the valve that wasn't seated properly. Not so. Flat again this morning. Chucked the wheel into Mrs TW's car - destination LBS for a Marathon Plus or Vittoria Randonneur.
The Durano Plus is a nice tyre, but I suspect it would do better on the front, partnered with a Marathon Plus on the rear.
On the flatbar IGH commuter this morning, slightly harder work, and also noticed the front brake pads need replacing, judging by the clunking noise coming from the rotor/pads on brake application.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:09 am

TailWind wrote:Yesterday afternoon during my commute back I was just thinking that my Durano Plus rear was holding up nicely, but was conscious of reports of punctures at less than 2000km by jasonc, for instance.
Clearly, I should have avoided this train of thought, because after getting home yesterday afternoon and returning to the garage later that evening, I saw the rear was flat! This is after ~1700km. Inspected the tyre externally for any signs of penetration, but other than the normal pitting and tiny cuts, I couldn't see any issue nor could I hear any escaping air when I pumped it up again.
don't blame me. weight of the rider/bike has a lot to do with the amount of punctures (and I'm heavier than you)
gretaboy wrote:Fog was thick this morning...and all the way to wor
was pea soup up here in Brisbane. went up coot-tha for a cruisy loop with the usual group. got a photo or three.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 am

Must have taken a photo of you this morning... I always take an opportunity to go up My Gravatt in the fog.

Was a little slippery closer to the city, as i found out coming down off the Veloway to Lower River Terrace. must have hit the centre line marking and come down. Fair amount of grazing on the left side. Shoulder hurts a fair bit, but no lasting damage to me or the bike thankfully. Thanks to the 2 guys and the car that stopped to see I was ok.

Mostly pissed off that I forgot to turn the helmet cam on. Would have been awesome footage, especially seeing that it came off in the crash and was facing me when I came to a halt.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:39 am

jasonc wrote:don't blame me. weight of the rider/bike has a lot to do with the amount of punctures (and I'm heavier than you)
:mrgreen: I should have listened....probably jinxed myself on top of it by allowing myself to feel pleased that it was holding up well!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:42 am

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:don't blame me. weight of the rider/bike has a lot to do with the amount of punctures (and I'm heavier than you)
:mrgreen: I should have listened....probably jinxed myself on top of it by allowing myself to feel pleased that it was holding up well!
2400kms on my durano. all on the rear wheel on the roadie. 1 puncture.

clydesmcdale - white lines suck - my second crash involved me hitting a white line in the wet with a waxxy rear tyre.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:18 am

In a word WET! Mind you I can't remember the last good soaking I had on a commute, as Hobart has been unseasonably dry and warm so far this autumn/ winter. Still it gave me an opportunity to try out the new set of Madison waterproof shorts I got a while back (I find waterproof pants far to restricting and hot unless it's below freezing) and they did an admirable job.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

rheicel wrote:An here is my short commute to home today. Will try other video setting tomorrow.

Rheicel: At 54 seconds - the give-way dilemma: There are markings on the shared path you are riding that indicate that you should give-way to the cars (the dotted lines crossing your path), however I also noticed that whoever drew the paint lines also decided to keep the solid shared path markings continuing over the intersection as well which makes it confusing as that could indicate a stop sign for cars (which, if I'm looking at the thumbnail of the video correctly there is a red stop sign for the cars that indicates that they should be giving way to the shared path). If there were no dotted lines crossing your path then I'd say the cars would have to give-way (they are crossing a road-related area and this forum has established that in most places cars entering roads have to give-way to pedestrians etc. on the road or road related area). Due to the stop sign, I believe the black car should have given way to you. But I'm sure someone else here will have a differing opinion. :)

Get better soon, Clydesmcdale! I'm actually quite glad my fall on slippery road surfaces only resulted in a possibly chipped tailbone (which still aches when doing my preferred sports, BTW) and not grazes to the skin. I sound so vain. 8)

Uneventful ride home last night, which was nice. And the same again this morning, although I wasn't prepared for the rain this morning, but luckily it only rained intermittent fat droplets instead of a constant downpour so nothing really got wet.

Bicycle police were once again at the tram stop on Macarthur St, Melbourne CBD (beside the Old Treasury on Spring St), watching cyclists along Macarthur St, presumably doing compliance checks and picking up any cyclists (and hopefully drivers) that fail to give way to a stopped tram and alighting pedestrians.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Summernight wrote: Rheicel: At 54 seconds - the give-way dilemma: There are markings on the shared path you are riding that indicate that you should give-way to the cars (the dotted lines crossing your path), however I also noticed that whoever drew the paint lines also decided to keep the solid shared path markings continuing over the intersection as well which makes it confusing as that could indicate a stop sign for cars (which, if I'm looking at the thumbnail of the video correctly there is a red stop sign for the cars that indicates that they should be giving way to the shared path). If there were no dotted lines crossing your path then I'd say the cars would have to give-way (they are crossing a road-related area and this forum has established that in most places cars entering roads have to give-way to pedestrians etc. on the road or road related area). Due to the stop sign, I believe the black car should have given way to you. But I'm sure someone else here will have a differing opinion. :
Thanks Summernight. There is a stop sign for cars before they can enter the shared path. I will just always let the car go, as I think even if I have the right of way, in a collision situation, we(cyclist) are always in a disadvantage.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:27 pm

rheicel wrote:Thanks Summernight. There is a stop sign for cars before they can enter the shared path. I will just always let the car go, as I think even if I have the right of way, in a collision situation, we(cyclist) are always in a disadvantage.
Yup. Unless you're the Hulk the car would win.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:15 pm

I had an interesting obstacle on my commute this morning -a car in the bike line negotiating its way around two coffins lying in the left hand lane of Loftus St at the top of the hill at Wellington St.

There was a guy in a suit waving traffic around them, and a van with it's back door open on the curb a little further up, which I presume the coffins fell out of.