Video Camera who uses one?

Pushy

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Pushy » Thu May 30, 2013 2:04 am

cloudwarrior wrote:Does anyone know if the #16 808 camera can do motion activation?

Reason I ask is I saw a program for changing the settings and it had a tick box for motion

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2
Yes it does
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

cloudwarrior

Postby cloudwarrior » Thu May 30, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks pushy,I have been holding off buying one. the #16 look a lot more stable.

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 am

cloudwarrior wrote:Thanks pushy,I have been holding off buying one. the #16 look a lot more stable.

No probs, imho its maybe your best bang for buck. I just use a phone power bank to extend run time and recommend the D lens. See my post in this thread for sample vid off the 808#16 at dusk and dark. Trick with the power bank is to start recording then connect the p bank.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:38 pm

Just got a contour roam 2, seems alright.. but the bar mount i got with it does not hold the camera very steady, maybe i have to work out how to use it properly (i did tighten it right up)but every little bump knocks it a little bit, and the entire video is tilted a little.
Should i just use the sticky mount on the stem?.. seems like a bit of a gamble in case it unsticks.
A short clip showing it recording at 720p low quality 30fps (only had the 4gb card that came with it, going to get a bigger one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q8VZOFV ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Bah77 wrote:Just got a contour roam 2, seems alright.. but the bar mount i got with it does not hold the camera very steady, maybe i have to work out how to use it properly (i did tighten it right up)but every little bump knocks it a little bit, and the entire video is tilted a little.
Should i just use the sticky mount on the stem?.. seems like a bit of a gamble in case it unsticks.
A short clip showing it recording at 720p low quality 30fps (only had the 4gb card that came with it, going to get a bigger one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q8VZOFV ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My head was getting sore from bending sideways to look at the footage. :P

Can you try bulking up underneath the mount? People on here use cut-up old bike tubes. That may stop the movement and keep the camera in the correct position.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:56 pm

The mount has rubber between it and the bars, i guess adding more may cut down on the vibration? But the camera can be pointed at different angles, then "locked" into place (supposedly) - http://www.this link is broken.au/contour-bar-mount/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I used it again today and while i got the angle level and did it up tighter, it still droops down and sideways (hence the tilt) on bumpy sections, i will turn the mount a bit so the camera can not point down anymore, hopefully that will fix it.
Dont know what to do about all the vibration though (besides extra rubber), probably the downsides of a bar mount on a roadbike i guess, might have to try a helmet mount, just dont like the idea of the camera on my helmet.

Also not too sure about the quality yet, tried 720p high quality 30fps, can't really make out number plates as clearly as i have seen with other posters.. might also be a side effect of the vibration though, ill wait and see what its like at 60fps or 1080p when i get a bigger memory card though.

JBark

Postby JBark » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Have you tried rotating the lens on the camera to fix the angle issue? Just hit the button on the back to have to shoot out the leveling laser (awesome!), then rotate the lens to level it out.

Also, the handlebar mount isn't the snuggest fit, which is annoying for bikes. The actual camera mount is a bit loose, so you get some rattle, and the bar side seems to be designed for something bigger than a handlebar, so hard to get it stay in one place, no matter how tight the strap is. I found that putting the bar mount on the frame instead of the bars works much, much better. A better option would probably be to get a better mount that just uses the standard tripod screw mount, but I haven't tried that yet.

Here's a picture of how I have mine mounted, much better fit. Also, the extra bit of strap was a good job of pushing against the camera when it's mounted, to keep it from rattling. You can also just see the lanyard that I have attached to the brake cable on the other side of the frame. Means that if the mount completely breaks, the lanyard will save the camera. Very happy that Contour includes the lanyard in the box.

ray

Postby ray » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:37 pm

JBark wrote:Have you tried rotating the lens on the camera to fix the angle issue? Just hit the button on the back to have to shoot out the leveling laser (awesome!), then rotate the lens to level it out.

Also, the handlebar mount isn't the snuggest fit, which is annoying for bikes. The actual camera mount is a bit loose, so you get some rattle, and the bar side seems to be designed for something bigger than a handlebar, so hard to get it stay in one place, no matter how tight the strap is. I found that putting the bar mount on the frame instead of the bars works much, much better. A better option would probably be to get a better mount that just uses the standard tripod screw mount, but I haven't tried that yet.

Here's a picture of how I have mine mounted, much better fit. Also, the extra bit of strap was a good job of pushing against the camera when it's mounted, to keep it from rattling. You can also just see the lanyard that I have attached to the brake cable on the other side of the frame. Means that if the mount completely breaks, the lanyard will save the camera. Very happy that Contour includes the lanyard in the box.
I prefer this mount compared to the contour one - very stable once you have tighten the zip ties and electrical tape around the bar:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/231028/c ... nt-v3.html

On my commuter bike:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:46 pm

ray wrote:Image
Ooh. Never thought I'd say this, but good bell mount...

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:13 pm

JBark wrote:Have you tried rotating the lens on the camera to fix the angle issue?
Hah yeah, that was a bit of the issue, thought i had it level and checked with the laser before the ride, but checked after the ride and the camera was slightly rotated from level.. so when the mount shook down during the ride and i realigned it by just seeing if the camera looked level, the lens was actually rotated off level. Now i rotated that i can fix it by eye when it shakes down.

I saw the lanyard, looked pretty thin, but i guess its for emergencies only, you just thread it through the hole near the rails right? I was going to wrap it around the bar but its too short for that, minor annoyance i guess but able to be worked around.

I didnt get the flex strap, partly because I saw some reviews say it didnt fit too well, thought the bar mount would be the go for the same price, ill try and get this thing going before i go throw more money at it, rays mount looks good too.

Frame mount may be an option i guess, but this thing barely fit around the handlebars.
Thanks for the ideas.

JBark

Postby JBark » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Bah77 wrote:
JBark wrote:I saw the lanyard, looked pretty thin, but i guess its for emergencies only, you just thread it through the hole near the rails right? I was going to wrap it around the bar but its too short for that, minor annoyance i guess but able to be worked around.
Yeah, supposed to go through the holes near the rails, but I figured that wouldn't help much if the mount itself broke. So wrapped it around the brake cable housing instead. And yeah, it is really thin, but I supposed it should do the trick of at least keeping it off the ground if the mount lets go.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:43 pm

Well it didnt shake lose today just had to do it extremely tight, really going to have to attach that lanyard.. think im going to snap the mount with how tight i had it.. but while moving the image quality just isnt that great, maybe my bike is too stiff or i am just hitting every bump in the crappy Brisbane roads here is some vid at 1080p

Maybe 60 fps will be less blurry, also i guess the poor light conditions dont help.. i havent messed around with the light settings, should i just leave it at auto?

Also just noticed the 720p video and 1080p have almost the same bitrate, both 30fps... that doesnt seem right, the 1080p should have a much higher bitrate. (and hence filesize, which it didnt. only sample size of one though, might be an anomoly)

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:20 am

Last edited by VRE on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:36 am

Bah77 wrote:Maybe 60 fps will be less blurry, also i guess the poor light conditions dont help.. i havent messed around with the light settings, should i just leave it at auto?

Also just noticed the 720p video and 1080p have almost the same bitrate, both 30fps... that doesnt seem right, the 1080p should have a much higher bitrate. (and hence filesize, which it didnt. only sample size of one though, might be an anomoly)
I use 50fps with 720p. Been quite happy with it at that setting. Haven't tried the 100fps setting at 720p that my camera has yet.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:33 pm

Just did a ride with the camera set to 60 fps, a lot clearer despite the bumpiness. Although the light conditions were also heaps better so that might have helped a bit too.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Techmoan has a review on the SJ1000. He has this to say ...

After years of fruitless searching and a not inconsiderable amount of money spent, I've finally found a good, cheap, 1080p waterproof action camera.

Maybe an option for those looking for a good quality cheap camera. Video review below ...

Regards
Andrew

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:06 am

Looking to get a camera for myself too.

Like the look of the above...Sj1000

Or, I can get a new in box Contour Roam with bike mount kit for $185 delivered.

Is it worth the extra money or should I just get SJ1000.

I do both day and night riding, generally night riding involves descending with abandon in a pack of other riders, as the only helmet light user I pick out the apex for the guys. They are illuminated by my light and It would make for great footage against the totally dark background!

This is not going to be used as a daily commute camera, only for my rides with the wife, the local loonies up and down the hill and more recently XC mountain biking regardless of the weather.

GO PRO is out of reach, so is the contour really, but I thought it a great price.

Thoughts,

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:03 pm

Thats pretty much what i paid for the roam2 from wiggle, but without the bike mount.

GregLR

Postby GregLR » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:46 pm

The Roam 2 is about $222 now on Wiggle (free shipping + $29 for the bar mount) http://www.this link is broken/contour-roam-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & was about $210-215 a few weeks or so ago before the $A dropped.

Wakatuki - I'm interested to know where it can be obtained for $185 incl bar mount and free shipping.

Bah77 - also interested to know whether that $29 handlebar mount http://www.this link is broken/contour-bar-mount/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is the one that you've been having trouble with. And whether you find the low light performance good enough (eg, to read a number plate) - a poster on this thread on the UK Cyclists' Touring Club forum was very critical of that aspect of the Roam 2 http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=75457" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (scroll about halfway down to the comments of the poster named 'BSRU' who owns a Roam 2; you'll notice that I've posted a couple of times to that thread asking questions).

Greg

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:42 pm

I got the roam with an EXTRA12 discount code, in addition to my 12% for spending too much at wiggle, and i guess the dollar has dropped a little since then. (also checking out in pounds rather than $au saves an extra few bucks)
Yep that's the mount, once done up extremely tight it stays in position for the most part, but decent bumps knock it out of place, and i really don't think I can do anything about the vibration, thats just having a road bike i guess? I think the strap mount may have been a better choice, but it may have had its own issues.

Both the videos i uploaded were in fairly poor overcast conditions, the second one was at ~7amish, and yes it does not seem like the low light performance is good enough, especially if you combine it with the vibration i get on my bike.

That said ive only used it a few times and it was a fair bit cheaper than a go pro (half the price of the top end model which would have decent low light performance?), hopefully i can work it out.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:57 pm

GregLR wrote:
Wakatuki - I'm interested to know where it can be obtained for $185 incl bar mount and free shipping.

Greg
Sure Greg, http://goo.gl/0f18K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Goldcross :D

But are they any good?

GregLR

Postby GregLR » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Many thanks for your replies, Wakatuki & Bah77.
Wakatuki wrote:[Contour 'Roam' sold by Goldcross] But are they any good?
Hard to know. That's the original Roam version being sold by Goldcross at that low price (it's $235 on Wiggle, w/o mount), whereas lately people on this thread (mostly Bah77) have been talking about the Roam 2. Wiggle's write up on the Roam 2 says this (amongst other things):

"The ContourROAM2 brings brilliant updates to Contour's most loved camera, while retaining the features that made it a best seller. Still the simplest camera to use on the market, the locking Instant On-Record switch makes it easy to get the perfect shot."

As I'm often one to swallow the hype about improvements to a product, I'm still more interested the Roam 2 despite the significant additional cost over the version offered by Goldcross. Others I'm considering (in the "much cheaper than Go Pro" category) include the Sony that Christine Tham has (see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=59303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) and one available in the UK called Roadhawk Ride that was discussed (along with others) on this CTC forum thread: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f ... 84#p666832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (on which I also asked some questions).

This bullet camera http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/dogcam-bul ... -WIDE.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was mentioned on another CTC thread & looked promising, but it's always out of stock (this is the thread: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which also enters into a discussion about the pros & cons of carrying a camera to record any traffic incidents).

Someone on the first CTC thread linked above made the comment that "The gold standard remains the GoPro" with someone else then observing "the trouble with go-pro is that it looks like such a great lump on your helmet". Also, I have noticed on this thread that some owners have had reliability issues with the Go Pro, necessitating return, though of course that would apply to other types of camera as well.

I'm getting a bit tired of trying to figure out which one to get, though, so I'll have to jump in & buy one of these soon.

Greg

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Bah77 wrote:Well it didnt shake lose today just had to do it extremely tight, really going to have to attach that lanyard..
The standard Contour mountings are not really man enough for use attached direct to the bike. You can get what they call a "tripod adaptor" - this mounting grips the slots on both sides of the camera and solves a lot of the shakiness issues. Plus it is more secure. I posted some pictures of mine back on page 58 of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37405&start=1425

cloudwarrior

Postby cloudwarrior » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:11 pm

cloudwarrior wrote:Thanks pushy,I have been holding off buying one. the #16 look a lot more stable.

Well it's arrived and I've had a play with it. But not on the bike yet unfortunately with this !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! Sydney weather of late.
Used it as a dash cam driving to work. And even when raining at dusk the vision was a pretty decent.
Will just need to work on a waterproof, anti vibe bike month soon.

But best thing I got to go with one this was an Usb OTG cable for my phone.
Now I can watch footage and reprogram the 808 while out and about

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:46 am

cloudwarrior wrote:
Well it's arrived and I've had a play with it. But not on the bike yet unfortunately with this showtime Sydney weather of late.
Used it as a dash cam driving to work. And even when raining at dusk the vision was a pretty decent.
Will just need to work on a waterproof, anti vibe bike month soon.

But best thing I got to go with one this was an Usb OTG cable for my phone.
Now I can watch footage and reprogram the 808 while out and about
I have been lazy and haven't put mine on the bike and helmet yet as I haven't sat down with the TicTac packets to convert them into the waterproof 808 cases. All the stuff is there (minus a few cable ties) but the procrastination factor has hit me. :P