Charge Cooker Hi ????

Wakatuki

Charge Cooker Hi ????

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Looking for a bike for the GLW to get her out on the rough stuff.

I am staying with my old 26er for perhaps another 6 months, but I need to get wife onto something.
It needs to be a 29er as that's the path I will be taking and I would hate her to need to swap out later. It also will help if it's enjoyable. She hated riding until I forced her into buying a roadie, now she loves it. The MTB stuff is daunting her but I will start gently on forest paths, boardwalks etc.

Gears, I would prefer a 2x10 for simplicity's sake, and the little bit missing at each end will not really matter, I don't believe.
We will never be bombing around, this is the pleasure bike, the roadie is for pain :twisted:

Pam is happy to go for a male bike, saddle swapped if needed.
80cm (31.5 ")inside leg and 165cm (5"5`)overall height. I think a 15" frame area is correct.
A major player in my thoughts is a bike I have been offered for $899.
The Charge Coooker Hi, in her size, in stock. I understand these bikes retail for $1200 + http://chargebikes.com/products/cooker-hi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://goo.gl/qmxQ9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm half tempted my self as they have a large too!
Anyone have any experience with this brand, all internet reviews seem favourable.

Thanks

WestcoastPete

Re: Charge Cooker Hi ????

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:32 pm

I have a Charge Duster set up as a tourer, and my mate absolutely loves his Plug, so much that he went through a few bikes after it was stolen before finding another Plug. They're great quality frames...

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Just called LBS they are 2012 spec.
I can have two for $850 a piece.....

As a Shimano devotee, how does Sram X5 weigh up?

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:36 pm

I've used X7 and like it. I have it on a tourer and a tourer/mountain bike. Can you try it? I'd be happy with it.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:00 pm

IMHO, I personally think a 29er is going to be too big and difficult to handle and the geometry compromised for someone of Pams' height. Most companies are turning to 650B/27.5" MTBs, and I personally think this would be a way better wheel size option. Jamis do some nice steel Dragon 650B's, Avanti have a 650B women's MTB, and there's a plethora of 27.5" 2014 models starting to appear

And BTW - Charge currently do not have an Australian distributor. It's a pity - they make some good, practical, steel bikes

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Disagree. Lots of small women around our parts are out on 29ers, some of them singlespeeds :shock:

And they don't mind the more upright riding position.

X5 is somewhere below Shimano Deore... not great. I'd go X7 or above, personally.

Oh, and triple on the crank. I tested some shmick 29er Cannondales last month at Kiwarrak that had 2x10 SRAM X9 cranks, and they were just crap. Most unimpressed.

Crunch crunch crunch crunch crunch crunch ... oh, great NOW it's changed gears (about 50m too late). It was both bikes, and both had just been set up by Cannondale mechanics as thsi was a customer event.

Plus, to get the next gear ratio up or down after changing rings you have to work like a one-armed paperhanger on the right hand shifter to go back 3 or 4 on the rear because the gap is so much bigger. BAH! :x Give me 22/32/44 any day.

;)

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Some say Deore = X5

I think the Charge linked to is a great buy at $850. Lots X7, Recon Silver solo air etc.

You need to see if your wife fits on the bike. Get her to take a test ride. Seems like there are a lot of "shorter" people on 29ers.

It seems lots of manufacturers are on the 27.5 fad. They don't want to be left behind like they were with 29ers?

I think you would have to search a bit to find a better spec-ed bike for the price.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:04 pm

kukamunga wrote: And BTW - Charge currently do not have an Australian distributor. It's a pity - they make some good, practical, steel bikes
It's a local lbs in Qld that has the charge!
I thought this too. She has spotted a jamis Durango comp in green that she likes. It's a 26er. For $50 less! I don't think $$$ for kit add up.
Will look at avanti online.
And it seems the 2012 hi is the 2013 cooker.
http://www.chargebikes.com/mobile/bicyc ... in/cooker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this matches the shop spec.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:17 pm

I like steel frames That spec looks about right for a $850 bike.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:25 am

Only one way to be sure... :wink:

The Charge does look the goods for the dough. If...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:25 am

Wakatuki wrote:Will look at avanti online
Avanti Flare

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:24 am

Wakatuki wrote:As a Shimano devotee, how does Sram X5 weigh up?
The X5 derailleurs are fine but the shifters are not nice. I totally re-cabled & swapped the rear shifter for an X7 that I happened to have spare. The result was very pleasant.

X5 is not equivalent to Deore despite what SRAM (or anyone else) might think. X7 is more Deore, X9 is SLX, X0 is XT and XX is XTR...in terms of performance if not price.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:38 am

Here comes the BOOM
Look what I have just found Giant Tempt 27.5 4 2014 / Womens / NEW http://goo.gl/crJhn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's girly, has a low step over, designed for girls and a 650b.... The shock may need upgrading "if" she gets into it. I'm riding on rock shock judy tt (never serviced) on a 2004 montari and it does me fine.
Trying to view one tomorrow.

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:39 am

Wakatuki wrote:Here comes the BOOM
Look what I have just found Giant Tempt 27.5 4 2014 / Womens / NEW http://goo.gl/crJhn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's girly, has a low step over, designed for girls and a 650b.... The shock may need upgrading "if" she gets into it. I'm riding on rock shock judy tt (never serviced) on a 2004 montari and it does me fine.
Trying to view one tomorrow.
At least with the Charge you will be riding something different. The Giant will be the same as every second rider you pass. I have a tange prestige Charge Duster and would say the ride quality of steel far outweighs the slight downgrade in component spec compared to the usual aluminium giant/avanti.trek/whatever at the same price. You will probably end up replacing some of those parts anyway. The X5 stuff is adequate and works fine, the build quality of the shifters is pretty suss though.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:14 pm

I too would choose the Charge over the Giant.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:49 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:I too would choose the Charge over the Giant.
^^^^ This is the camp I sit in ^^^^

So are the X7 shifters compatible, if and when they fail? Upgrade on the way?!?!?!

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Wakatuki wrote:
mitzikatzi wrote:I too would choose the Charge over the Giant.
^^^^ This is the camp I sit in ^^^^

So are the X7 shifters compatible, if and when they fail? Upgrade on the way?!?!?!
Yes straight swap but it's not like the x5 is going to explode or anything, they just have some play and aren't super precise. For general use they are fine.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:48 pm

X5 for Pam, X7 for me.... Lol

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:15 pm

That Charge looks good. Definitely the more interesting bike than the Giant, and +1 for the comments re: steel frames.

The skinwall tyes make me laugh, though. LIke they're trying to be pretend tubulars or something :wink:

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Well the decision was made.
Pam was so excited she said I could have one too! She loved it.

Free setup, free chain guard, free ladies saddle swap. Please note: absence of reflectors on mine already, Pam wants hers left on... :oops:

This will not lead to matching lycra, I promise.

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:46 pm

Ride report once you've hit some singletrack?

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:43 am

Hit the mountain tarmac ride last night, Pam really was not good, she is on antibiotics and we both agreed her saddle was to low. Amazing how quick she is gaining confidence now.

The other MTBs were happy with it, a Giant XTC owner loved the frame, and was shocked by the lack of weight on a steel.

So next is the tyre pressures, it was a bit firm, odd. Found them at 80psi this morning, must be a shop display thing.

The LBS did set the sag up and the gears but they were flat out and I wanted it NOW! I just need to remove Pams reflectors and adjust our seats.

Ride report. Yes... Good idea, good practice for me too. I am no trail expert but I will do my best probably next Sunday 23rd, yes, my week is unfortunately that full!

Benn0

Postby Benn0 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:47 pm

The Charge Tange frames, paticularly the Duster and Cooker are a great platform to upgrade the parts on.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:51 pm

Last edited by WarrenH on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:52 pm

Wakatuki wrote: ... a Giant XTC owner loved the frame !
When my XTC was stolen, for a couple of days afterwards, I felt sad ... it then took me about two more days to realise that the thief did me a huge favour. Tell your Mate to get an Anthem.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.