How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

oxonabike

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby oxonabike » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:01 am

Rain and clouds have cleared out, finally resulting in clear conditions and first commute for the year in sub 20 deg temps, (it was 19) so it was out with the jacket for the first time this year. Yes, certainly setting my self up to be called a sook, but I do tips me lid to you commuters in the more temperate zones in the country!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:17 am

Summernight wrote:My bike is dirty... :cry: :cry: :cry:
All this semi rain (not heavy stuff- just constant drizzle) is really kicking the gunk off the road and onto the bike and my overshoes on the commutes. Boo.
Mine's been dirty all week...only the chain gets a wipe-down at the end of each wet, gritty, grimy day...

Another wet ride home yesterday afternoon, light to moderate rain all the way. Busy paths and roads. Struggling to shift up or down, thinking maybe a frayed shifter cable.
And this morning, you guessed it, another wet and drizzly ride. But wait, there's more! A lusty, gusty southerly to blow the rain directly into my face.
Oh well, the week's almost done, feels a lot longer than the 4 days it was. Think I must have picked up a mild version of the bug the kids brought home, felt somewhat queasy and listless on the bike this morning, with a correspondingly slow time.

Looked at my Daily Mile stats this morning, which I started syncing to on my first few tentative commutes 2.5 years ago...will have to throw a party when I get to once Around World distance!

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:55 am

FINALLY nice weather in brissy.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:11 am

Only 120 kms for me this week; nothing on Monday because of the public holiday and then on Tuesday I discovered that my carrier is shaking itself apart (cheap Chinese welding) :( so I’ve been taking things easy until I can get it fixed this weekend.

The new hard-compound Tannus tyre on the rear seems good with no obvious difference from the soft compound. Even though “The Rock from Hell” destroyed my first rear tyre it had travelled around 3,100 kms and was good for many more kms.

I’ve has a couple of cars fail to give way to me at intersections and now have an air zound on order which should arrive soon. Now in addition to putting out around 350 lumens I’ll be able to put out a blast of sound that’ll wake the dead :lol: .
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:16 am

TailWind wrote:
Summernight wrote:My bike is dirty... :cry: :cry: :cry:
All this semi rain (not heavy stuff- just constant drizzle) is really kicking the gunk off the road and onto the bike and my overshoes on the commutes. Boo.
Mine's been dirty all week...only the chain gets a wipe-down at the end of each wet, gritty, grimy day...
I am hiring a jack hammer tomorrow...will need one when I go to clean my bike. My little cubicle is a mess due to the booty covers...dirt and filth all over the floor as a result of wet roads and road grime, am going to have to get the office hand held manual vacuam cleaner today to clean it all up
TailWind wrote: Think I must have picked up a mild version of the bug the kids brought home, felt somewhat queasy and listless on the bike this morning, with a correspondingly slow time.
TW - sounds like you need to work from home for a couple of weeks, dont want that cold getting worse :mrgreen:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:22 am

Well the weather was a bit kinder to me this morning. Roads werent wet and it didnt feel that cold. Was so motivated I did some extra k's on top of the "normal" extra k's this morning. Helped that for 3/4 of the ride I had the help of a 20-30 k/h tailwind. I really enjoyed this tailwind this morning considering that the previous afternoon I had to battle into that same speed wind all the way home...and it looks like I will be doing the battle with the wind again all the way home...what fun :)

Had some good vibes coming from cars and trucks this morning, instead of being cutoff and such they were giving me some loving. Makes a morning ride, any ride actually, that much more enjoyable when the love is shared around.

Body is feeling so much better than the previous two weeks too, legs are good even though it is the end of the week.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:35 am

Glad your legs are good, Gretaboy. I had tired tired muscles this morning that just didn't want to fire.

My front mudguard (the one that I broke when the front brake caliper flew off a few weeks ago) broke in the same spot last week (the glue failed under pressure). All the grime on the front of the bike is due to not having this extra 15cms of mudguard to redirect the grimy spray. I tried to epoxy it again last night but failed. I'll try one more time on the weekend to glue it back together otherwise it is coming off and the new front mudguard I have waiting will be installed.

I tried to clean the dirty bike a little last night but it was covered in grime and the baby wipes and quick job I wanted to do just weren't up to scratch to dent the muck. Bleck. :(

At least it is Friday.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:02 am

Been a good week over west weather wise (unless you live east of the city with easterlies every day). BOM has consistently been wrong every day so far WRT rain (none at all so far but light rain predicted tonight). Legs are feeling good, back a bit sore but manageable. Backed off the intensity today (as I generally do) as I have the bunch ride tomorrow and thinking of one of the faster groups. Had one SMIDSY with a car (how can you miss 500 lumens flashing when I have had comments to turn it down from other drivers) and some good semi CCR moments.

Just flicked over 7,000km on the TCX since I bought the computer in August last year (original one died) and 1st anniversary of owning the TCX rapidly approaching, still love her, fast, reliable and comfortable (despite being stiff) and if something breaks not too expensive to replace.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:32 am

gretaboy wrote:TW - sounds like you need to work from home for a couple of weeks, dont want that cold getting worse :mrgreen:
Not so much a cold as, err, gastric distress...not what you want when you're straining up a steep hill. :shock:
Hoping to flush the bug out over the w/end :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:39 am

TailWind wrote:
gretaboy wrote:TW - sounds like you need to work from home for a couple of weeks, dont want that cold getting worse :mrgreen:
Not so much a cold as, err, gastric distress...not what you want when you're straining up a steep hill. :shock:
best to catch a cab home this arvo then :D and if not feeling better come monday...just work from home!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:49 am

gretaboy wrote:
TailWind wrote:
best to catch a cab home this arvo then :D and if not feeling better come monday...just work from home!!!
I think you need to stay off the bike for a month, maybe 2 TW
just to make sure

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:54 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
I think you need to stay off the bike for a month, maybe 2 TW
just to make sure
:mrgreen: Thanks for your concern guys....but we're halfway through the year with lots of kms to be won or lost yet!
A batch of a really tasty brew I did will be ready this weekend, I'm thinking that'll knock the stuffing out of this bug :D

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:12 am

TailWind wrote:
:mrgreen: Thanks for your concern guys....but we're halfway through the year with lots of kms to be won or lost yet!
A batch of a really tasty brew I did will be ready this weekend, I'm thinking that'll knock the stuffing out of this bug :D

Hence why I am thinking of you and your health...imagine the long term damage that you could cause yourself if you dont take a week or so off....whats one week compared to many weeks????? What with that cold wet Melbournian weather at the momet, you need to snuggle up into a blanky.

Hope your "tasty brew" is not like that "tasty brew" up in qld....they didnt just get the "sh%$t knocked out from them like your hoping, they got the life knocked out of them. Maybe you need to employ some taste testers first ?????

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:30 am

Nice ride this morning. As nice as one can be in 99.9% humdity. There are too many cars here in Singapore, and no bike paths. I think that is why I was quick today, trying to keep out of the way. Nearly 27 km/h average for the short 13km commute.

I'm changing my routine tonight. I won't be commuting home. It's Friday and I'll be out partying. That way I can avoid getting drowned in another nightly storm.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:48 am

Dropbear20 wrote:Nice ride this morning. As nice as one can be in 99.9% humdity. There are too many cars here in Singapore, and no bike paths. I think that is why I was quick today, trying to keep out of the way. Nearly 27 km/h average for the short 13km commute.

I'm changing my routine tonight. I won't be commuting home. It's Friday and I'll be out partying. That way I can avoid getting drowned in another nightly storm.
DropBear...so Singapore does not have a large cycling movement? I am surprised by this as I thought, in my ignorance, that most Asian countries would as it is a cheap mode of transport. I have been to china and cycling is huge there, to the point they have dedicated lanes for the scooters/mopeds and cyclists which are separated from the cars. And boy, do they love their bells and horns.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Ride this morning is somehow faster than usual. Does it have something to do with the video cam?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:19 pm

rheicel wrote:Ride this morning is somehow faster than usual. Does it have something to do with the video cam?

Tailwind, wait until you head home. Much slower (I just did the same route myself and the wind was painful)!

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:29 pm

Heavy ride in tonight with a 10 kg back pack and head wind for much of the ride.
Still enjoyed it though, and only encountered courteous drivers. Particularly the lady who held a semi back so I could get across and do a right hand turn. Big wave of thanks which she returned as she passed me later.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:11 pm

gretaboy wrote:
TailWind wrote:

Hence why I am thinking of you and your health...imagine the long term damage that you could cause yourself if you dont take a week or so off....whats one week compared to many weeks????? What with that cold wet Melbournian weather at the momet, you need to snuggle up into a blanky.

Hope your "tasty brew" is not like that "tasty brew" up in qld....they didnt just get the "sh%$t knocked out from them like your hoping, they got the life knocked out of them. Maybe you need to employ some taste testers first ?????
I gave in, capitulated, threw in the towel. Mrs TW was in the CBD to catch up with a friend, I still felt like carp, so tossed the bike in the back and got a lift home. It sucked. Nothing worse than being stuck in traffic in a smokebox when your bike is right there with you in the car.

Nope, my brew is a good old double-hopped pale ale..it instills life, if anything...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:14 pm

TailWind wrote:I gave in, capitulated, threw in the towel. Mrs TW was in the CBD to catch up with a friend, I still felt like carp, so tossed the bike in the back and got a lift home. It sucked. Nothing worse than being stuck in traffic in a smokebox when your bike is right there with you in the car.

Nope, my brew is a good old double-hopped pale ale..it instills life, if anything...
hope the brew takes a couple of weeks to work

EDIT: forgot to mention there was a bloke walking a white mango last night on the western fwy bikeway. anyone know who it was what the problem was?
yes, bad me, I didn't ask to stop, but as I was on the roadie, spares/tools were minimal to useless..

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:03 pm

gretaboy wrote:
DropBear...so Singapore does not have a large cycling movement? I am surprised by this as I thought, in my ignorance, that most Asian countries would as it is a cheap mode of transport. I have been to china and cycling is huge there, to the point they have dedicated lanes for the scooters/mopeds and cyclists which are separated from the cars. And boy, do they love their bells and horns.
Not this Asian country. I was warned that the motorists here don't like cyclists and that the government doesn't think investment in cycleways is a wise thing to do because there is not enough land, blah, blah, blah. Well, the motorists are not much different to Sydney. The attitudes of the vocal minority leaves a lot to be desired but most are OK, and the lanes are wider than home so generally there is plenty of room.

It's just so hot, damn hot, and humid. The riding is good, but when you stop you sweat buckets. Thankfully I have a pool at home to fall into when I finish because it useless having a shower until you cool down.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:40 am

Felt good this arvo on the way in. A good run with hardly any traffic and not much wind.
Although I'm still going in to work I always seem to feel better in the arvo than the morn. Not a morn person I guess.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Friday commute via long route.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:11 pm

rheicel wrote:Ride this morning is somehow faster than usual. Does it have something to do with the video cam?

Can't be too sure about that. I gave my bike an overhaul last week and sadly discovered that my neglect (10,000km without a service) had resulted in the chainrings on my 50/34 compact crankset get chewed to pieces, so when the new chain and cassette went on it made the most awful vibrating and grinding noises!
Thankfully I had a spare crankset on hand, but it was the 46/38 CX Crankset that came with the bike, but is one I had never used. I have some pretty nasty hill climbs on my commute so I was a bit wary of using the 38, but I have managed ok. The small gap between small and large is actually very nice. I get super responsive shifts from 38 to 46, and I find that I now use more of my cassette.
The best part is that on some of those lower gradient climbs I can stay on the 46 chainring and just hammer it. I think I set a PB the other day climbing from Mowbray Rd to Pittwater Rd along the Epping Rd Path.
Debating what to do about the old crankset. I might try and buy some new chainrings and see if I can get a 46/36 or 46/34, but I find the CX crankset quite nicely suited to commuting, aside from the single 28% gradient hill (according to the Garmin) I have to climb on my way home.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:20 pm

queequeg wrote: Can't be too sure about that. I gave my bike an overhaul last week and sadly discovered that my neglect (10,000km without a service) had resulted in the chainrings on my 50/34 compact crankset get chewed to pieces, so when the new chain and cassette went on it made the most awful vibrating and grinding noises!
Thankfully I had a spare crankset on hand, but it was the 46/38 CX Crankset that came with the bike, but is one I had never used. I have some pretty nasty hill climbs on my commute so I was a bit wary of using the 38, but I have managed ok. The small gap between small and large is actually very nice. I get super responsive shifts from 38 to 46, and I find that I now use more of my cassette.
The best part is that on some of those lower gradient climbs I can stay on the 46 chainring and just hammer it. I think I set a PB the other day climbing from Mowbray Rd to Pittwater Rd along the Epping Rd Path.
Debating what to do about the old crankset. I might try and buy some new chainrings and see if I can get a 46/36 or 46/34, but I find the CX crankset quite nicely suited to commuting, aside from the single 28% gradient hill (according to the Garmin) I have to climb on my way home.
That is good news queequeg. I might use my 46/38 on one my my road bike that is in the making as I am typing this.