Weight loss through cycling

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
toolonglegs

Re: Weight loss through cycling

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:10 am

There you go...no riding today, yesterday I probably shouldn't have done 120k's including part of a race with a sore throat and tooth ache :roll: . But it was my last hard ride before a bit of a freshen up. Today throat is a bit sore plus my boy came home under the weather from school so good day to stay off the bike.
Pretty much raw / dried / frozen fruit till dinner... plus half an avocado ( otherwise my fat for the day would of been around 3% ).
Dinner is a Dahl... I have been doing big cook ups before I head off to the TDF to freeze meals... so Kcals are pretty accurate...no add oil or anything apart from a very small amount of coconut cream.
3400Kcal is not as much as I thought it would be... but then there isn't many days I don't ride.

PS... plus another apple 8)

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:04 am

1.5kg bananas! Looks like Harley's diet.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:36 am

So why does everyone want to cut out coffee? Is it the milk that troubles people?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:20 am

It tastes terrible?

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:30 am

No coffee?! What do you all drink at the coffee shop after the ride?! :lol:

The possibility of not going to the coffee shop after the ride is not one that enters my head, despite the fact that I never drink coffee at home or at work.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 am

I actually ride my bike because I like the ride not the shop at the end. If I do enter the café it's for a ice chocolate or chocolate milk shake.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Comedian wrote:So why does everyone want to cut out coffee? Is it the milk that troubles people?
For me, coffee and caffeinated energy drinks were masking the symptoms of chronic lack of sleep. Of course, once I quit coffee, I didn't sleep more so I was still tired and without the coffee, felt like <language>

Anyway, I cut back to one a day, which I am prepared to live with.
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:27 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:No coffee?! What do you all drink at the coffee shop after the ride?! :lol:
Banana smoothie 8)
<removed by request>

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Coffee shop culture is an Anglo thing?... maybe in Paris ( where there are a million cafés ) or the south ( where the weather is nice ) ... but where I live I rarely see groups of bikes parked up at cafés.
winstonw wrote: 1.5kg bananas! Looks like Harley's diet.
Yup they are the staple during the day :lol: ... I could have banana smoothies all day any day, plus the fact the I don't live somewhere where good fruit is easy to find, but one thing you can always be sure of is plenty of cheap bananas from the DOM / TOM's .

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:31 pm

What do you make your smoothies up with?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:54 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:What do you make your smoothies up with?
Bananas & blueberries are usually the base... sometimes add in dates or prunes, orange juice or water. I like to eat my smoothies with a spoon ... slows me down :lol: .

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:26 pm

my spoon smoothie recipe:
15g whey protein
100g frozen berries
50g frozen banana (optional)
150g yoghurt
sweetener to taste (i use stevia, but sugar or honey is fine).

mix in a large bowl with a mixer for a few minutes until fluffy. this stuff actually holds air and fluffs up like a mousse. don't do it in a blender because you can't pour it out.

delicious, but unfortunately not vegan TLL.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:46 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I actually ride my bike because I like the ride not the shop at the end. If I do enter the café it's for a ice chocolate or chocolate milk shake.
If all I wanted was a coffee...I'd just go to the coffee shop. Don't see why I'd have to put up with all that nasty cycling business first. :wink:

Right now, all this talk of banana smoothies is making me want one...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:26 pm

TLL, that's good information that tool provides. Makes it easy to tell where to make refinements
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:35 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Comedian wrote:So why does everyone want to cut out coffee? Is it the milk that troubles people?
For me, coffee and caffeinated energy drinks were masking the symptoms of chronic lack of sleep.
similar thing to me - caffeine was a bandaid for chronic fatigue, insulin resistance, and thrashed thyroid.
obviously smarter to deal with the issue further upstream...My non caffeine drinking vegan GP suggested I give it a miss for a while, and see what happens.
I was doing 1-2 flat whites most days, and 1-2 instant blacks 3 days.

what happened was I had a couple of days of headaches and restless sleep about 4 days in, then it's been all good since. I just feel calmer, and hunger pangs just aren't there like they were, so I am maintaining a 1000 Cal daily deficit easily.

the science currently has little bad to say about mild to moderate coffee consumption, and some good....though maybe what's needed is an opportunity cost comparison of taking coffee over green smoothies; and a study of coffee's effect on appetite, insulin resistance, sleep patterns, etc.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:56 pm

I started cycling about 4 months ago and lost 13 kilos so far, going from 80kgs to 67kgs.
It works :)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:28 pm

defy1 wrote:I started cycling about 4 months ago and lost 13 kilos so far, going from 80kgs to 67kgs.
Keep going for another couple of months and see how that goes. Usually, between 6 & 12 months, weight loss will plateau or reverse.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:36 pm

:lol: The honeymoon months ... :P

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:25 pm

twizzle wrote:
defy1 wrote:I started cycling about 4 months ago and lost 13 kilos so far, going from 80kgs to 67kgs.
Keep going for another couple of months and see how that goes. Usually, between 6 & 12 months, weight loss will plateau or reverse.
Yup I dropped from 105 to 80 in first 6 months and havent gone any lower in the following year. That's doing 2-300km a week on a pretty good diet.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:52 pm

toolonglegs wrote:There you go...no riding today, yesterday I probably shouldn't have done 120k's including part of a race with a sore throat and tooth ache :roll: . But it was my last hard ride before a bit of a freshen up. Today throat is a bit sore plus my boy came home under the weather from school so good day to stay off the bike.
Pretty much raw / dried / frozen fruit till dinner... plus half an avocado ( otherwise my fat for the day would of been around 3% ).
Dinner is a Dahl... I have been doing big cook ups before I head off to the TDF to freeze meals... so Kcals are pretty accurate...no add oil or anything apart from a very small amount of coconut cream.
3400Kcal is not as much as I thought it would be... but then there isn't many days I don't ride.

PS... plus another apple 8)
This looks like Bradley Wiggins weight loss diet
Vegan since 2001.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:56 am

I could do with channeling a bit of wiggins weight loss mojo... Today I seriously got my arse handed to me on a plate... Out of my league this weekend :-( .
Plus all the meals are piled high with meat... Before a race you want carbs... I'd be happy with a big bowl of plain pasta. Lucky I brought a pile of food with me!.
150kms tomorrow... Hoping I survive but the voiture balai wasn't far behind today!

defy1

Postby defy1 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:44 pm

twizzle wrote:
I don't care, I am happy in the 65 ballpark and improving my fitness level. I am sure if my weight reverses, its due to build up of muscle which isn't a bad thing.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:15 pm

I have had excellent results since I started eating these.

Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

vander

Postby vander » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Lets revive a controversial topic with this.
http://onobservation.tumblr.com/post/47 ... ean-eating
Not saying I agree with it all or anything but I laughed and there is some truth to it.

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:14 pm

twizzle wrote:
Mine plateaued about 4 years ago, thanks to resuming cycling after a few years off. It hasn't reversed yet, but perhaps the onset of middle age will do that. I hope not, because I'm counting on the cycling keeping me feeling younger for many years to come :D .