Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Lukeyboy

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:05 pm

Try Mt Glorious via Samford first. Or even try the back :P

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:13 am

ft_critical wrote:So I am bringing my bike up from Sydney in July, to Brisbane. This ride looks pretty overrated compared to what we have down here, but I will let you know what I think after I have done it a couple of times.
Yes but lets face it Sydney in general is pretty over rated from our point of view....so we won't be overly interested in what you "let [us] know". Are you coming up to see the Blues beaten at Lang Park??????? :twisted:

Lol...just come and enjoy the beautiful south Qld "winter", and enjoy the riding. Maybe we can all catch up for a ride? :D

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:16 am

Pax wrote:
ft_critical wrote:So I am bringing my bike up from Sydney in July, to Brisbane. This ride looks pretty overrated compared to what we have down here, but I will let you know what I think after I have done it a couple of times.
Yes but lets face it Sydney in general is pretty over rated from our point of view....so we won't be overly interested in what you "let [us] know". Are you coming up to see the Blues beaten at Lang Park??????? :twisted:

Lol...just come and enjoy the beautiful south Qld "winter", and enjoy the riding. Maybe we can all catch up for a ride? :D
The cheek of him to come into "our Queensland" thread :x I'm surprised he's allowed to ride his bike up here (reference to previous thread he started cough cough) :wink:
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:28 am

I presume what you mean here is you are going to do repeats? :) If you keep going past Mt Glorious, down to Wivenhoe Dam, and then back again I'm sure it will wake you up. Especially if you add in going down to Samford and back up as a side trip. The bit past Glorious is much quieter than the rest, but quite steep once you start dropping down off the mountain.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Rain permitting, i'm in. No idea where i'm going when ever on the Nth side so that'll be me at the back :)
Granny cassette is on!

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Ok...I'm getting in early with my excuses...(I have many additional ones that I will roll out if necessary as the morning progresses :roll: )

WTFruitcake was with the wind today????!!!!

I was supposedly doing an easy 110k ride that was mainly flat (except for Eatons Hill Rd and Samford Range at the start and finish) out to Nudgee Beach via Samford, but even at 6.00am the wind was up. Turned out to be a surprisingly hard ride with headwind plus the traditional hammer session towards Nudgee.

Then bit of gardening and multiple trips to the dump...legs are tired tonight...think I might drive to the meeting spot instead of riding there tomorrow, see how I feel when I get up.

Anyhow, should be a good day. Weather looks good, though cool. Wind from the W or SW but that should be OK in the Mountains I guess...reasonably protected.

How many of us are there...
Lukkeyboy, CaptainSlow, Albertgaleano + Korean friend, Bret.Hooker, IntheWoods, Crawf and me Pax = 8

See you at 6.30 at the servo.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:40 pm

See everyone there at 6.30

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:08 pm

I do hate getting out of bed on cold mornings... bring back summer. Or spring, at least.

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:14 pm

Sweet, see you guys at 6:30am 8)

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:42 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Arm and leg warmers..... check! :P
If it's 8 degrees here...then think of me in Stanthorpe this weekend! :?
Footy shorts, pluggers, singlet? :D :D
I did actually turn up in pluggers. That didn't last long. :lol:

Hope all you guys enjoy/enjoyed the ride this morning. Dunno what the weather is like in Brisbane, but it's beautiful up here this morning. Much better than the cold grey rainy windy day we had yesterday...

Anyway, hopefully y'all are keen for a repeat soon.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:58 am

It was nice. Good to put faces to some of the names on here. There were a couple of pinches that we all enjoyed through camp mountain and the descents sure were fun :lol:

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Great ride guys, good to meet everyone, wow what a pace to Nebo and loved the ride to Glorious and the ride back. Love to meet up and ride with you guys again!!!

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Good to meet you guys too. Was a really nice day for a ride!

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:41 pm

Sign me up for the next one!!!
I did ashgrove, samford, dayborough return with a mate...
What a beautiful morning it was this morning!
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:59 pm

For the next ride what about City-Petrie-Dayboro-Mt Mee loop and return via Winn or Clear Mountain road to avoid as much of Gympie Road as possible. Or even something out towards Cleveland/Victoria Point or Upper Brookfield?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Nice to meet you gents. Was a good ride and a good pace for a random bunch of interneter's.
Sorry I had to bail early, I'll need to allow more time next time.
Cleveland/Vic Point/Mt Cotton is always an option next time, that'll be a good workout.

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:25 pm

I am always keen to ride Brookfield, one of my regular rides, if we aren't talking about Nebo maybe we need to start a Group ride thread :)

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:49 pm

Cheers for today guys, great ride. It's taken it out of me though and I don't much feel like getting off the couch in the near future!
Lukeyboy wrote:For the next ride what about City-Petrie-Dayboro-Mt Mee loop and return via Winn or Clear Mountain road to avoid as much of Gympie Road as possible
This sounds great to me - been keen for that one for a while.

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Great ride guys... :shock:

Felt like the grandfather of the group when we met at the Gap at the start of the ride.

Felt like the great great grandfather of the group as I staggered to my car at the end of the ride.

Showed me how much fitness I need to build to get back where I used to be a couple of years ago, and how much I will still need on top of that to keep up with you mountain goats.!!....not going to happen :roll:

Very special treat to bump into an old friend (Joanna) up at Nebo though, haven't seen her for a couple of years.

But definitely a great ride. Made my indoor soccer match in the afternoon painful too :?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:29 pm

CaptainSlow wrote:Cheers for today guys, great ride. It's taken it out of me though and I don't much feel like getting off the couch in the near future!
Lukeyboy wrote:For the next ride what about City-Petrie-Dayboro-Mt Mee loop and return via Winn or Clear Mountain road to avoid as much of Gympie Road as possible
This sounds great to me - been keen for that one for a while.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/227889517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would be ~167km all up starting and finishing at Roma Street but there can be various meeting and finishing points such as those that might want to catch the train to Petrie railway station or some might want to duck off at Strathpine/Boondall/inner city railway line and get the train back to the city/southside if their legs are tired. Catchup/rest points can be the Petrie Lookout, Dayboro Village, the Mt Mee lookout (after campbells pocket loop), ride as a group to the pitstop cafe for lunch or if too busy grab a feed back at Dayboro, if spread out regroup at Dayboro for numbers on the run to Winn Road, regroup again at Eatons Crossing Road and maybe regroup again for Sandgate Road or the convention centre/Nundha Crit Circuit if people want to go via the bikeway instead of along sandgate road and maybe a final regroup at Southbank for another feed/couple beers :lol:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:32 pm

I'd be interested that.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Sounds like I need another six months of training to even mix it with you guys... :-) will keep my eye out though; all those rides sound great...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:32 am

In.
Would prefer in a couple of weeks though, I'll be out of town otherwise.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:12 am

Brett, its pretty easy for a climb as its slow and gradual going up Mt Mee with plenty of rest/catch up points. Clear Mountain via Dayboro way will kill your legs if you attack the wrong hill hard (3x 12%+ climbs) but once you climb that its all down hill and then flat Strathpine-City. City-Petrie is also flat. It might seem like a long distance to ride but alot of it is nice and flowing. If your unsure about making the distance you could always catch the train to Petrie or even bail out once we come out of Brendale as Strathpine and Bald Hills station with the later being closer. A large chunk of the Brendale-City leg follows the railway lines in some sort so if your legs clonk out at anytime you could always jump on a train and head home or head towards the finish point for a early beverage :P

Shane, I think some of us were thinking about organizing a ride for every 2-3 weeks depending on who was available/numbers.

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:17 pm

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/227889517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the look of this one mate 8)