Will Wiggins lead a Sky team in a Grand Tour again ?

find_bruce

Will Wiggins lead a Sky team in a Grand Tour again ?

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Bit of speculation from Owen slot about the future of Wiggins at team sky. The article is behind the great paywall of Murdoch at the Times and the Australian, extracts are at cyclingnews
Wiggins marginalised as Froome goes from strength to strength wrote:The British newspaper reports that Wiggins is currently training in Mallorca after intense treatment on his knee but that he has made it clear to Team Sky that he does not want to ride the very mountainous Vuelta Espana. Instead he could ride the Tour of Poland and the Eneco Tour as preparation for the world championships in Florence.

Speculating long term, with Richie Porte apparently set to lead Team Sky at the Giro d'Italia in 2014, the Times goes as far as suggesting that Wiggins may never again lead Team Sky in a Grand Tour.

"It becomes reasonable to ask if Wiggins will lead a Sky team in a Grand Tour again. Will the Tour de France winner even ride again in that race? And have we seen the best of him?"

Team Sky has remained tight-lipped on Wiggins' conditions and his goals for the rest of the season, with only British Cycling head coach Shane Sutton publicly urging Wiggins to bounce back and find new goals.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

roller

Re: Will Wiggins lead a Sky team in a Grand Tour again ?

Postby roller » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:11 pm

No.
inflammatory statement or idea

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:57 am

Froome has stated that he wants to target the TdF for the next six or seven years. Porte has also been promised tour leadership as an inducement to extend his contract. Someone is going to miss out.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:09 am

I really hope not, he is a great rider but his public persona stinks. If I was a sponsor Id be turning up the screws against him.Maybe that's what has happened.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:00 am

How much longer does his contract run ?

He'd be a prime target of other teams due to he WT points from last year.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:56 am

MichaelB wrote:How much longer does his contract run ?

Contracted for 2014
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:06 pm

MichaelB wrote:How much longer does his contract run ?

Perhaps - if they are prepared to play nursemaid to Sir Precious.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:22 pm

Marty Moose wrote:I really hope not, he is a great rider but his public persona stinks. If I was a sponsor Id be turning up the screws against him.Maybe that's what has happened.

Maybe Sky can replace him with a rider who's public persona you like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pByFjkAI5Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Baldy wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:I really hope not, he is a great rider but his public persona stinks. If I was a sponsor Id be turning up the screws against him.Maybe that's what has happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pByFjkAI5Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One who doesn't throw Bikes and have a potty mouth.This would be a good start yes. One "I"would prefer and this would be a better roll model fort my son. Froome is a much better choice in that respect.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:29 pm

More likely than don't Porte will get shafted for next years Giro for Wiggo to have another go.

Sky has shown to be very British biased.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:27 pm

Marty Moose wrote:
Baldy wrote:

One who doesn't throw Bikes and have a potty mouth.This would be a good start yes. One "I"would prefer and this would be a better roll model fort my son. Froome is a much better choice in that respect.

I suggest you watch that video then if that's one of your problems with Sir Braddles. The swearing doesn't bother me though it gets a bit old, we get it you are tough and your mum can't stop you swearing. My problem is just EVERYTHING else :wink:

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:21 pm

Baldy wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:
Baldy wrote: Maybe Sky can replace him with a rider who's public persona you like?

I suggest you watch that video then if that's one of your problems with Sir Braddles. The swearing doesn't bother me though it gets a bit old, we get it you are tough and your mum can't stop you swearing. My problem is just EVERYTHING else :wink:
I'm really confused as to what that video has to do with Bradley Wiggins...... I watched if after you suggested and don't get your point. Harley is not the leader of a major cycling team, I'm sure he is flattered with your comparison though. Can you please explain the point of the video and its meaning in relation to this thread and my posts. I still think Wiggo is a champion rider but a very poor second as figure head and role model.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Either you know exactly what I'm talking about and you are playing the fool. Or you are the genuine article.

I can't win.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Baldy wrote:Either you know exactly what I'm talking about and you are playing the fool. Or you are the genuine article.

I can't win.
I don't appreciate being called a fool but you still have not explained yourself. I can't see how that video had anything to do with Wiggo.. So please explain.........

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm lost too. The video you linked is about really low % body fat. Couldn't be bothered watching it, but that can apply to a whole lot of cyclists.

Anyway, as good as a cyclist Sir Brad is, I'm voting him a tosspot. Talented, but not my cup of tea.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Just goes to show different people value different attributes.
Personally I like Wiggo's fiery responses to puerile questions and the swearing doesn't bother me in the slightest.
I hope to see a lot more of him.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:37 am

warthog1 wrote:Just goes to show different people value different attributes.
Personally I like Wiggo's fiery responses to puerile questions and the swearing doesn't bother me in the slightest.
I hope to see a lot more of him.
The4 attribute you mention above doesnt bother me, it's the 'holier than thou' attitude we have seen recently. He had a pearler of a season last year, like Gilbert the year before, but the behaviour of both is opposite.

Meh, I hope Froome wins just to rub Braddles nose in it.

He would have gotten my respect if he had bascked Froome rather than creating instability. His 'knee injury' is a bit naff, and the 'don't want to do the Vuelta' is a classic dummy spit.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:42 pm

Looking at it from his point of view he is a winner of the tour and a Olympic tt champ. Bit of an ask to be a domestique for someone else the next year.
He wouldn't be the first champion to struggle to play 2nd fiddle. Probably comes with the mental attitude required to be a champion, pride and mongrel and all that.
Think back to the badger, didnt exactly let LeMond win and look at Cadel now not stepping down for the new younger contender.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:16 pm

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Great rider but I think that will be a good thing for cycling. Still don't see him as a positive role model, maybe Sky and some of the sponsors feel the same way.

Walsh95

Postby Walsh95 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Coming from a youth, Bradley is an absolute inspiration. If any of you have heard his story, he did not have it easy as a kid, only met his father once, but he always looked after his mum. He loves cycling more than anything, and is about as naturally talented as anyone at it, so for my mind, if anyone deserves more tdf wins, it's Bradley.
As for Froome, he strikes me as a bit of a windy git, and I hope he doesn't become the face of cycling. Don't get me wrong, he is immensely talented and great to watch, but , for me at least, comes across as totally self-absorbed and egotistical.
As for Brad's personality, come off it! He just says it like it is, but lets his riding do the talking.
If he doesn't lead another tour for sky, it's their loss, because someone else will have him within a second.
Onya Brad

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:33 pm

A rather petulant personality Sir Wiggo. Froome was stronger in the mountains last year and this year's hillier TdF parcours was always going to mean that Bradley would not be team leader. He's told to ride the Giro, doesn't train for it, fails miserably, then suggests he's going to the TdF anyway!

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Walsh95 wrote:Coming from a youth, Bradley is an absolute inspiration. If any of you have heard his story, he did not have it easy as a kid, only met his father once, but he always looked after his mum. He loves cycling more than anything, and is about as naturally talented as anyone at it, so for my mind, if anyone deserves more tdf wins, it's Bradley.
As for Froome, he strikes me as a bit of a windy git, and I hope he doesn't become the face of cycling. Don't get me wrong, he is immensely talented and great to watch, but , for me at least, comes across as totally self-absorbed and egotistical.
As for Brad's personality, come off it! He just says it like it is, but lets his riding do the talking.
If he doesn't lead another tour for sky, it's their loss, because someone else will have him within a second.
Onya Brad
yep he sure lets his riding do the talking, downhill, slipping all over the place, running into things and generally looking like an arse :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:15 pm

Walsh95 wrote:...If any of you have heard his story, he did not have it easy as a kid...
'E were loocky, we 'ad ter steal t'wheels off grandads bathchair if we wanted t'go fer ride on bicycle.

Sorry, couldn't help myself :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011