Which bike seat

lammy

Which bike seat

Postby lammy » Mon May 13, 2013 11:26 am

I am thinking about getting a new bike seat and would like some recommendations for my requirements.

I currently own an Selle SMP Stratos, which is excellent, very very comfortable however...

I am now using different positions on the seat to utilise different muscle groups, so am very frequently moving from the front, middle and rear of the saddle alot! Problem is the SMP doesnt allow you to slide into these positions easily, you almost have to lift your ass and place yourself into position, also riding on the nose is not very comfortable at all. I am after a seat with comfort but also the ability to slide into all 3 positions.

Anybody had this similar dilema or got recommendations.

antipodean

Re: Which bike seat

Postby antipodean » Mon May 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Fizik Arione.

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon May 13, 2013 5:19 pm

My experience was similar. SMP glider was keeping numbness at bay but I found myself trapped in the middle dish of the saddle and was pushing up and down the saddle with too much conscious effort and not staying put esp. farther back on the saddle.

I had fitted my SMP to a new build and already dropped the nose a few extra degrees down from previous ride but was experimenting and dropped the nose a further few degrees down which has improved comfort greatly and improved riding posture all round - pelvis tilt suited perfectly now - on the drops, on the hoods and gripping the tops when climbing - try it before you change saddles.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 13, 2013 8:16 pm

*drumroll*

Brooks Swallow. Yes, I used to laugh at their owners as sock and sandal retrogrouches. Used to... :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon May 13, 2013 9:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:*drumroll*

Brooks
Heck...... only 3 posts into the thread :wink:
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

TDC

Postby TDC » Mon May 13, 2013 9:33 pm

open roader wrote:

Brooks
:lol: is this the bike forum equivalent of Godwin's Law?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:56 am

I believe this is a question that cannot be answered by anyone but yourself.
Bike fit, position on the bike (which will evolve over time) and anatomy are personal and unique for each individual. All of them affect saddle comfort.
You are just going to have to try a few.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue May 14, 2013 2:34 pm

Regarding the Brooks, you would certainly have no problem moving around on the saddle. I took my B17 off as i could never stay in one place on it. It was supremely comfortable but i got fed up with sliding around as i like to stay put.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue May 14, 2013 7:56 pm

open roader wrote:

Brooks
Yep, I win an internet :lol:

I've been a convert for about four years now and have been waiting for the chance to drop that line first. :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Tue May 14, 2013 9:15 pm

Specialized Toupe Team.
Best saddle I've ever had
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Tue May 21, 2013 3:23 pm

+1 for Specialized.

I have an Alias on my roadie and Indie XC on my MTB. The 143 sizing of Specialized saddles fits my butt bones well.
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue May 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Real MAN ® saddle

Really only your bum knows which saddle will work for you.

Use the Search function a couple of long threads on this.

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Tue May 21, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm using a Fizik Kurve saddle an the main bike these days, and I'm pretty darn pleased with it.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue May 21, 2013 8:53 pm

I can tell you a reasonable list of saddles that *don't* suit me. As for one that does... well, if you find on, let me know! I'm still hunting...

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue May 21, 2013 9:06 pm

warthog1 wrote:I believe this is a question that cannot be answered by anyone but yourself.
Bike fit, position on the bike (which will evolve over time) and anatomy are personal and unique for each individual. All of them affect saddle comfort.
Most appropriate answer of the lot.

No saddle will suit everyone, so positive experiences from one person will mean diddly-squat to another. A saddle that one person will swear by, another will swear at!

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Wed May 22, 2013 8:16 am

Ozkaban wrote:I can tell you a reasonable list of saddles that *don't* suit me. As for one that does... well, if you find on, let me know! I'm still hunting...

Same!
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Wed May 22, 2013 8:17 am

Duck! wrote:
warthog1 wrote:I believe this is a question that cannot be answered by anyone but yourself.
Most appropriate answer of the lot.

No saddle will suit everyone, so positive experiences from one person will mean diddly-squat to another. A saddle that one person will swear by, another will swear at!
Yes and yes
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

Panz05

Postby Panz05 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:35 pm

I think Pro Logo have a try and buy which I saw at my LBS.

That is one way to find the right saddle.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:04 am

I use a Bontrager RL saddle which was fitted by my lbs
It's served me well so far

lammy

Postby lammy » Fri May 31, 2013 9:02 am

I eventually opted for a Fizik Arione Versus. It had the flat shape I needed for moving up and down the saddle (snaking apparently) and also with Versus it has the relief channel running down the middle, hopefully giving me a similar result that the smp does. The seat is 30mm longer too, and it has a straight wider nose unlike the smp which has a slim eagle nose. Pretty sure the extra length and width will help out and be more comfortable too. Its installed but not been out on it yet, will post the real results next week.

lammy

Postby lammy » Fri May 31, 2013 9:13 am

open roader wrote:My experience was similar. SMP glider was keeping numbness at bay but I found myself trapped in the middle dish of the saddle and was pushing up and down the saddle with too much conscious effort and not staying put esp. farther back on the saddle.

I had fitted my SMP to a new build and already dropped the nose a few extra degrees down from previous ride but was experimenting and dropped the nose a further few degrees down which has improved comfort greatly and improved riding posture all round - pelvis tilt suited perfectly now - on the drops, on the hoods and gripping the tops when climbing - try it before you change saddles.
Thanks I tried that, I went form 0 degrees to -4 degrees, anymore that that I found myself slipping forward, didnt work for me sadly. Great seat though. I got mine up for sale if anybody is interested $100 plus postage.

lammy

Postby lammy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:12 pm

Quick further udpate, I was really happy with the shape of the seat, so ordered another Arione, but this time ordered the Triathlon version which is the same shape but extra padding on the nose as I was tending to spend alot of time up there. Wow what a difference, feels like riding on a cloud whilst still having the ability to slide up and down the seat. Well worth the money, I might even sell the Arione VS incase anybody is intrested.