Another cyclist death and injury to another

Ross

Another cyclist death and injury to another

Postby Ross » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:13 pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 6660871363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A CYCLIST has died and her husband has been injured after they were hit in Sydney’s south this morning.

Emergency services were called to Bunnerong Road shortly after 10.30am after the couple were struck by a hatchback being driven by an elderly woman.

The 35-year-old woman died at the scene but her husband escaped with relatively minor injuries and is being treated in hospital.

The driver of the Holden Barina, an elderly woman, has also been taken to hospital for mandatory blood and urine tests.

It is believed the couple were manoeuvring around a boat parked in the left hand lane when the Barina slammed into the pair - wedging them in between the front of the car and the parked boat.

Both bikes were obliterated in the accident and remain strewn all over the road.

Witness George Baldwin said he saw the elderly lady drive straight into a BMW seconds after knocking the cyclists off their bikes.

"She looked completely dazed and confused, like she didn't know where she was," he said.

"The car started filling up with smoke so I ran over and tried to get her out."

Mr Baldwin said the boat had been parked in that exact spot "for years".

"I've never seen it moved anywhere else," he said.

"A lot of people have complained because there have been too many close calls."

Forensic officers were yesterday photographing the scene to piece together what happened.

They will address the media this afternoon.

Investigations are continuing.

trailgumby

Re: Another cyclist death and injury to another

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:57 pm

For once the Terrorgraph has had the decency to disable comments.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:27 pm

Fairly sympathetic article actually.

I would advise people who are on the sensitive side to not look at the article. That stuff splattered all over the boat.. thats blood. Maybe just read the above hey guys?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:48 pm

This appears to have been a tragic accident.

My thoughts go out to all those involved. :(

diggler

Postby diggler » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:18 pm

Tragic story. I am so grateful this hasn't happened to me (yet?). I think back to my younger stupid days when I used to ride on main roads and this could have easily happened to me.

My thoughts to the family.
Motorists hate cyclists and cyclists hate the motorists and the pedestrians hate the bikers and everybody hates the trucks.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:55 pm

Very sad and likewise, my thoughts to the family and friends.
Cycling is in my BNA

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:02 am

Very sad accident on a road that I am familiar with. Just terrible. RIP.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:55 am

diggler wrote:Tragic story. I am so grateful this hasn't happened to me (yet?). I think back to my younger stupid days when I used to ride on main roads and this could have easily happened to me.

My thoughts to the family.
:shock: Many of us must be still young and stupid!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:06 am

Even sadder when you hear of a couple, presumably both into staying healthy and fit.
Sometimes when riding, I wonder whether the biggest risk is:
- P platers texting or trying to 'scare' me by driving too close.
- tradies and others who hate cyclists in lycra.
- elderly just losing concentration or visually impaired.
- dui

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:52 am

Its inattention. Thats all.. flat out inattention. Its aggravated by lack of skills and lack of thought and mostly lack of care. But thats the primary cause.
Random accident is maybe 3% something like that.

Goneforaride

Postby Goneforaride » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Report says there have been a number of near misses around the trailer boat. Too many big rigs parked semi permanently on our streets. Looks like the cyclist may have been snagged by the boat cleat, and then wheel got stuck in the trailer wheel and guard. The crash may have been survivable if the boat wasnt there and a smaller car with safe non snagging handles etc. 9 times out of a 10 a cyclist will go round that boat and not have a car passing, but when there is a car and double lines as well there is the potential for such a crash, as lane width is probably 3.2m , not wide enough to pass in obviously. Get rid of big trailer boats parked long term on major roads like Bunnerong. Illegal if they are over 7.5 m in length, but no width restriction.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:28 pm

Goneforaride wrote: but when there is a car and double lines as well there is the potential for such a crash, as lane width is probably 3.2m , not wide enough to pass in obviously.

In Qld that's currently a safe pass if it's put to a Jury.
2012 Oppy A4

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:01 am

Perhaps it's too early to write this off as an unpreventable unfortunate accident.

Elderly drivers are very dangerous. Driving a vehicle is a physically demanding activity, and it's something that will become beyond the capability of most of us as we age. But too often the elderly continue to drive - and have accidents at many times the rate of other drivers - because they're living in places where the choice is to drive, or face isolation.

Perhaps we could best serve by turning our thoughts to how to prevent accidents by giving the elderly more and better options for getting around than driving. Enough options so that giving up the car keys is an easy choice when the time comes.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:14 am

Howzat wrote:Perhaps it's too early to write this off as an unpreventable unfortunate accident.

Elderly drivers are very dangerous. Driving a vehicle is a physically demanding activity, and it's something that will become beyond the capability of most of us as we age. But too often the elderly continue to drive - and have accidents at many times the rate of other drivers - because they're living in places where the choice is to drive, or face isolation.

Perhaps we could best serve by turning our thoughts to how to prevent accidents by giving the elderly more and better options for getting around than driving. Enough options so that giving up the car keys is an easy choice when the time comes.
I agree....for many elderly, it's not about transient inattention. they've lost the sensory and cognitive ability to drive, period.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Howzat wrote:Perhaps it's too early to write this off as an unpreventable unfortunate accident.
I prefer to think it is too early to suggest what you are suggesting. We do not know diddly yet and any implication of fault just because of age at this stage is just as unfair and insensitive to the driver as would be comment blaming the riders just because other riders do stupid things on the road.
:cry:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:17 pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 6664324358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Epileptic...?