Finding a Brisbane riding buddy

Ignoto

Finding a Brisbane riding buddy

Postby Ignoto » Tue May 28, 2013 8:00 pm

I've recently had a couple of my usual riding mates pack up and move interstate and I've found cycling solo whilst rewarding, it gets a bit too mundane!

While there are plenty of shop rides, the mostly all seem to be centred around doing a riverloop and there's only so many times I can ride that route a week (that and I'd like to get some more km's on the weekends)!

So, I was wondering if this is the best place to find another Paddington/City rider who can put up with someone who only started at the end of last year (or know of someone who might)?

I aim to ride 200-250+kms a week and I'd love to have some kind of structure to the week ie Mountains on Monday and some speed training later in the week.

BrisVegas

Re: Finding a Brisbane riding buddy

Postby BrisVegas » Tue May 28, 2013 8:38 pm

I sent you a PM mate. I'm in a little group that leaves from Park Rd most mornings.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

Abby

Postby Abby » Wed May 29, 2013 10:11 am

Google the Wombles/Lifecycles bunches, and Planet Cycles as well.

Both easily accessible in/near city, and do plenty of non-riverloop rides...

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed May 29, 2013 10:16 am

good point. Lifecycle do a Thurs Redcliffe ride and various weekend rides. Just up the road from where you are too.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed May 29, 2013 3:47 pm

BrisVegas wrote:good point. Lifecycle do a Thurs Redcliffe ride and various weekend rides. Just up the road from where you are too.
Given the amount of riding the poster does, I'd suggest more the wombles than the main LC groups.

Having said that... The wombles are awesome. :)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed May 29, 2013 6:51 pm

Comedian wrote: Given the amount of riding the poster does, I'd suggest more the wombles than the main LC groups.

Having said that... The wombles are awesome. :)
LC have a good range of rides, no variation during the week but the Saturday morning rides are a good mix of hills and flatter routes, there is usually a Coot-Tha option early before the main ride.
There are two groups for the Saturday rides.

Hth
Lisa

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 am

Hope OP don't mind me tag along; isn't the Womble ride just a riverloop (at least that's what they say on the calendar)?
Brendan

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Brenchen wrote:Hope OP don't mind me tag along; isn't the Womble ride just a riverloop (at least that's what they say on the calendar)?

Mid week the Wombles do River Loops, however on the Saturday ride they usually follow the faster bunches ride just slightly modified, ie when the faster group go to Samford the Wombles follow but turn around at the top of the range climb before it drops down into Samford and head back into town while the faster group ride through the valley and climb back out.

Sometimes there are a few Wombles who will set a faster pace, especially on a Thursday morning which is handy if you don't have time to do the TDR...you can always do what I do and chuck in a few repeats on Dornock after your loop :wink: .
Lisa

Kentarou

Postby Kentarou » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:46 am

Was looking at the Wombles and Planet Cycles etc, but they all seem to do about 28km/hr average, and specifically state such.

Thats... a fair bit faster than me atm! Anyone know of any rides that would cater to someone like me? :D Obviously I want to get faster, but till then; what are my options?

Brenchen

Postby Brenchen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:23 pm

You should be able to do Sunday 99bike ride, or Tue planetcycle ride could work too, info should be on their respective sites...
Brendan

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Kentarou wrote:Was looking at the Wombles and Planet Cycles etc, but they all seem to do about 28km/hr average, and specifically state such.

Thats... a fair bit faster than me atm! Anyone know of any rides that would cater to someone like me? :D Obviously I want to get faster, but till then; what are my options?
First Saturday of each month Planet do a beginner's group riding session, where they'll give you tips on communication, road position and etiquette. IIRC 25km/h average for about 30km. If you can ride solo at 20km/h you can do 25km/h in a group.

Kentarou

Postby Kentarou » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:04 pm

That sounds awesome! Looks like 40km; but that should be okay. Shame it's coming after the Brissie to Bay, but it should be okay, i'll be cautious. :D Thanks very much!