GUIDE: Repairing Shimano 105(5500) STI Levers

QuangVuong

GUIDE: Repairing Shimano 105(5500) STI Levers

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Googling around, I cannot find any guides for rebuilding any 105 shifters. So I thought I may as well make a guide when I took mine apart.

Got these 105(5500) shifters off eBay, and they were dirty as! The levers were scratched up and ugly, and the shifting was fine, but it didnt feel smooth.

Onto dismantling. Once the hoods are removed, you are faced with this panel which is on the inside part of the shifter(where your thumbs go). Just unscrew with a Phillips screwdriver. Inside is just the Flightdeck computer cable.

Use a 2mm allen key to remove the grub screw which holds the pivot on.

Use a small enought screw driver to push out the pivot. Now you can remove the lever from the body. Take care when removing the Flightdeck cable.

Get a flat head screwdriver or something of the sort to pry off the name plate.

Underneath this name plate is another screw. Remove with a Phillips, and then you can pull off that black part.

Next is a 8mm nut. Use an adjustable wrench, a 8mm wrench or a 8mm socket to remove. Theres dirt build up already, and I havent even reached the inside yet.

Flip the lever to the backside to locate a Phillips screw. Remove this screw. Watch out for the washer underneath. More dirt and grease build up. You now can pull off the lever. There is a round spring behind, and make sure this doesnt fly off somewhere(very low chance though).

A 9mm nut is next. Use an adjustable wrench, a 9mm wrench or a 9mm socket to remove. Its surpsing that theres all this grease and dirt out here. The internal gears are the parts that need to be greased, not the outside parts. Note that the round spring will be reattached to the small slit at 7 oclock in the pic.

You can remove the black plate, the silver plastic body part(cable guide) underneath, and a grey ring which connects to the Flightdeck cable.

Now you have two choices, continue dismantling or you can dip it into some sort of degreaser. I chose to no go any further, as everything can be accessed at this point. I chucked it into petrol, and let it soak for a few mins. You can use a toothbrush or something similar to brush away the grease and dirt.

Now once the parts are clean, you can begin to grease the parts. There are only two areas which would need grease.
The bottom side of the shifter.

Hard to see, but its the top side. Lift up the pawl, and grease underneath.

Thats it! Now to rebuild do these steps backwards. Repeat for the other shifter if need be(right hand is slightly different, but it is mostly the same).

The end result after sanding and polishing.

And as an aside, heres a couple finished products of the Soras(3300) which were rebuilt and polished. Hoods were repaired with silicone as well. I cut the right hood all the way down the outer side as it was already half ripped, then taped the innerside and silicone patched it up. Works well so far. Link below was what I read up on:
https://sites.google.com/site/reukpower ... ra-sti-fix" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, and I will offer a service to rebuild STI levers. So far I have done the Sora and the 105 as above, but I am sure that I can get around to doing the others without too many problems. I will also gladly take in any broken shifters, or ones that do not work anymore. Please PM me if youre interested!
Last edited by find_bruce on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

elantra

Re: GUIDE: Repairing Shimano 105(5500) STI Levers

Postby elantra » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:45 am

Very good work mate.
This topic should probably be made "sticky" and kept at top of page for easy future reference.
? Moderator input

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:33 pm

That would be useful for everyone.

And I would be able to do a more indepth one for the next shifters(most likely if someone needs a repair). This time around it was quite explorative and ai didn't really take pics of every single step.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:28 pm

Excellent work. Particularly the polishing.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:05 pm

I thought stripping STIs led to an explosion of tiny bits over a 3m radius :?
elantra wrote:Very good work mate.
This topic should probably be made "sticky" and kept at top of page for easy future reference.
? Moderator input
Sounds fair. Anyone care to second the motion for stickiness?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Second sticky request

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:51 pm

rangersac wrote:Second sticky request
Shtuck.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:58 am

taken apart 5600 shifters by any chance?

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:43 am

No I haven't, but Im pretty sure I can repair those. So far the Sora was the first I did and that took a bit of time. Then I did these 105 ones and this took so much less time.

Would you like me to have a go? And what's wrong with it?

LG

Postby LG » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Then there's this for anybody wanting to repair 6400 shifters http://imgur.com/a/0tPBK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:08 pm

LG wrote:Then there's this for anybody wanting to repair 6400 shifters http://imgur.com/a/0tPBK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Required items include alcohol and lube. Fun Sunday night, then...

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Hmm, thats quite the thorough pic guide. Surprised he says taking it from the back is easier than the front. However, those spring mechanisms look hard the first time you see them. After building a pair, it gets so much easier.

I bought myself a pair of RX100 intergrated shifters, so those are up next. Also got the RSX ones to do as well soon. Possibly getting down a 105 (5600) to repair.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:55 pm

The RX100 guide is up!
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=62877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you mods wanna keep it within 1 topic, then copy the thread and edit into the end of the first post of this thread. As well as change the title to include the RX100 shifters. Thanks

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:53 pm

RSX is up!
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=63753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:45 pm

All I can see is disassembly, cleaning, lubrication & reassembly - where exactly is the repair?

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 pm

The definition of repair is to return to a good/sound condition. These shifters were dirty, so I made them clean again. Its the RX100 and RSX that weren't working and would count more as a repair.

If these shifters have broken parts, then its unlikely that they'll be fixed.

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:35 pm

Meh. I'd put cleaning under maintenance, rather than repair. Carry on.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sat May 25, 2013 4:26 pm

I've got 105's here that are about 1995-1996 era I recon, eight speed. they're on my mates bike that he bought new and stored. I took it to do it up so he could ride it and all I had to do was replace rim tape, tubes, tyres, brake pads, bar tape and a few other obsolete items. The bike is like new, even the rims have no pad wear, no chain wear nothing. the cables are cool, the selectors are fine but the shifters are causing me grief. I sprayed wd40 in them origionaly and got them selecting ok and I thought done because they arn't dirty but my mate doesn't ride the bike for months and when he gets back on it the shifters are dead again. I don't really want to pull them apart and am thinking that the issue is probably that the original grease has polimarised? I'm toying with submerging them in thiners for a while and letting the grease work out of them and then putting a small amount of oil in them. My mates probably going to ride the bike twice a year for like 40km so I'm looking for the easiest solution. Does anyone hate my idea? Get in line please :oops:

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat May 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Have a look at my RX100 guide. That will be 99% the same. The only difference on your shifter is that yours will say 105, but all internals and assembly is the same.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sat May 25, 2013 8:12 pm

QuangVuong wrote:Have a look at my RX100 guide. That will be 99% the same. The only difference on your shifter is that yours will say 105, but all internals and assembly is the same.
Yes this is them. Great guide QuangVuong, these look relatively simple to work on and I'm sure now I can do it.
Thanks, you are indeed the Shifter Guru 8)

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun May 26, 2013 7:06 pm

I did it, the shifters are working as new. went to hell and back to achieve it though. Not an easy business.

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:12 pm

I have serviced a pair of 6500 shifters (9-speed Ultegra) and they look very similar internally.

I pulled them down and removed each of the individual paws and greased everything as it went back together with teflon grease (so hope the grease won't harden over time). Cleaned all of the parts in my parts cleaner with diesel, a rag and degreaser and water for the plastic parts.

It is a fiddly job and some of the springs are a bugger to get back on (especially pre-loading the cable barrels), but if you have a vice to hold the shifter pin body in, the job will be much easier for you.

Great work QV on the photos and the info above.

- David.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm suspecting they are 100% the same internally and externally. Really the differences are the silver plastic lever body and small shifter and the Ultegra nameplate. Any good to hear you got them working. Putting the outermost spring back on would be the one which took me the most time to do. I used a small hobby knife to pull the spring over to where te supposed to be held.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Great work quang, and nice polishing too :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:52 pm

A quick update on the 6500 shifters above.

When I put them back together I used teflon grease to make sure that it didn't harden over time. However because these shifters are very tired which is mainly noticeable in that the springs in them don't have the kick they use to, they have a little trouble fighting the resistance of the grease which is causing shifting issues.

With use they are freeing up a little and I will give them a couple of weeks before I try to resolve this issue in the hope they free up and are fine. However, if I was doing this again I would probably be using some teflon chain lube on them rather than grease. This wouldn't be an issue if they where new springs (but then why would you be rebuilding them) I would expect.

Just something extra to consider if your attempting this yourself.

- David.