Bianchi = Suicide Machine

ValleyForge

Bianchi = Suicide Machine

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 am

Just a shout out to the rider on the black Bianchi with lime accents, blue knicks and zero road sense who nearly took us out this morning at about 5:40am.

Nice right turn from Kadumba into Ryndarra St on the loop at Yeronga. From the left gutter across us all. With no warning or signals or shout out.

If you were one of the guys in his bunch, can you word him up - you would have seen it. Bad manners is one thing, but trying to take out out riders in a suicide mission is another thing.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

clydesmcdale

Re: Bianchi = Suicide Machine

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:37 pm

If he was in front, he has the right of way, especially considering he is only following the lane. That is, Kadumba becomes Ryndarra at this point. He has not deviated his path.

From your explanation it sounded as if you assumed he was to turn left to Anita. Sounds like a left hook by your group to be honest.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:11 pm

It's pretty much straight on into Anita St; Ryndarra is the hook. He came up the left gutter then cut across.

Only ridden through that corner just under a thousand times at last count according to my Garmin, :lol:

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:19 pm

This is the intersection. Left to Anita crossing the dashed white line to the left. Following the lane bearing right Kadumba becomes Ryndarra. Travelling from Kadumba to Ryndarra requires no lane deviation of travel.

A vehicle travelling from Kadumba to Ryndarra would have right of way if in front to a vehicle turning left into Anita. Still sounds like a left hook.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:19 pm

If it was a car, would you expect them to signal?

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:24 pm

ozdavo wrote:If it was a car, would you expect them to signal?

Yep. From what has been described + the pic, mr Bianchi is in the right IMO.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:31 pm

I agree with clydesmcdale.

Google the satellite view - Road markings are clear, he wasn't turning, OP's group was.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:01 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:If he was in front, he has the right of way, especially considering he is only following the lane. That is, Kadumba becomes Ryndarra at this point. He has not deviated his path.

From your explanation it sounded as if you assumed he was to turn left to Anita. Sounds like a left hook by your group to be honest.
For an experienced cyclist, it would have been natural to assume that the Bianchi was going to proceed from Kadumba into Anita street.
That is what experience indicates, as most cyclists do the riverloop that way.

Similarly an experienced cyclist would have given some indication if not turning left onto Anita St, as an experienced cyclist would know that this not the usual way...

Not all Riverloopers are experienced cyclists.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:50 pm

If the Bianchi was truly in front then there wouldn't have been no problem?? Nobody was cutting anybody off??

But.. It sounds like the Bianchi undertook the group on the left doing a faster speed and proceeded to go straight on Ryndarra..

Sounds to me like he was in the wrong. If you're going to overtake, do it on the right, especially if you're travelling on a road that veers to the right. He should have considered the group could possibly turn left, hence cutting them off.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:18 pm

I agree Bianchi was traveling straight. VF's pack were doing a left hand turn.
According to the road rules, Bianchi's group should have been as far to the left as possible. This would have prevented Bianchi from traveling up the left hand side.
Bianchi may have reasonably assumed a group not sticking to the left side of the road was not intending to make a left hand turn into Anita St.
He may also not have passed on the right due to VF's group blocking the lane.

All in all, at 5.40am it's pitch black in Brisbane currently. All should be riding more defensively.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:05 am

I guess I could add some clarity. We were on the left side of Kadumba, just gone "sotto pedale" over the top of the hill. We BOTH gave a left hand signal when Bianchi under-took us on the left side & then cut across in front heading down Ryndarra.

We indicated. Doing unpredictable things in the dark is what I'm on about. If any of the guys I ride with had done that, one of us would word them up. Nicely.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:27 pm

That's clearer, I was under the impression your group was coming from the opposite direction.
With this I agree mr Bianchi was in the wrong. Disregarding everything else, he shouldn't be "undertaking".

Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:06 pm

ozdavo wrote:That's clearer, I was under the impression your group was coming from the opposite direction.
With this I agree mr Bianchi was in the wrong. Disregarding everything else, he shouldn't be "undertaking".

Yep I agree, if it was the case of undertaking signalling riders on the left side, he was in the wrong.