Where do you get maps from?

jemo27

Where do you get maps from?

Postby jemo27 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:01 am

When touring in Australia I have usually got a map showing an over view of where I am going and then use local information centres to get more detailed maps or in worse case use google maps on my phone.

I'm going overseas for the first time on a cycle tour in France and UK. Just wondering what anyone can suggest the best way to get maps is?

scirocco

Re: Where do you get maps from?

Postby scirocco » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Assuming you want paper maps, most capital cities have a map shop or two. They'll sell the Michelin maps for France or Ordnance Survey for the UK, in a variety of different scales and amounts of detail. Have a look at a few and pick the one that suits your needs best.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:49 am

GPS Garmin Europe City Navigator for on road navigation. Michelin or similar paper maps (1:200,000 or 1:300,000) for larger-scale route planning. The Michelin maps are pretty readily available in most bookshops, Tabacchis, or newsagents.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Nate

Postby Nate » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:51 pm

My Samsung phone has Navigon (garmin) maps free for Aus.

The Euro map set was about $50-60 for all the countries I needed, you then just tick each country to download the maps to the device as needed (saves space to only load relevant ones).
Does car & walking navigation & was quite good.

Did get one massive bumsteer France-Swiss, just wouldnt put me on the motorway for some reason - went via neptune & wouldnt accept the destination address.
in towns etc its been fine