Shogun Appreciation Society

pentlandexile

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby pentlandexile » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:04 pm

munga wrote:
pentlandexile wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:I would say late 90's. Check the date code on the back of the Shimano cranks and go to this web page:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I reckon you're right ... there's no rear cable guide for a cantilever brake for a start. Well past the glory days then.. I'll build it up and see how it rides.
i reckon early 90's. if you're not that keen on it, i'd say flip it before you sink too much into it. maybe go singlespeed?
what's the tubeset?
Yeah I'm not going to send much on it. No trips to Joe's place for this one. It is 'Tange MTB'.
Long day's journey into alt-bars

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:06 pm

munga wrote:
pentlandexile wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:I would say late 90's. Check the date code on the back of the Shimano cranks and go to this web page:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I reckon you're right ... there's no rear cable guide for a cantilever brake for a start. Well past the glory days then.. I'll build it up and see how it rides.
i reckon early 90's. if you're not that keen on it, i'd say flip it before you sink too much into it. maybe go singlespeed?
what's the tubeset?
Is that an octalink bottom bracket ? If so that would def point to late 90s as it wasn't introduced till 97

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:10 pm

The rear derailleur looks like 9 speed. I also think the 4 arm cranks were released by shimano at the same time as 9 speed.

jozz

Postby jozz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:26 pm

OK, thanks for that, the cranks are Exage FC-A400 and if I'm reading the date codes right - they were made in December 91.

..oops just realised you're discussing the MTB! Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.
Last edited by jozz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:27 pm

Jeez you lot are eagle eyed! Sorry I should have explained. The BB is a newer replacement and the rear derailleur is a late 90s XT one I had in the parts box. As it came to me it had 7-speed Alivio with trigger shifters.
Long day's journey into alt-bars

munga

Postby munga » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:37 pm

jozz wrote:OK, thanks for that, the cranks are Exage FC-A400 and if I'm reading the date codes right - they were made in December 91.

..oops just realised you're discussing the MTB! Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.
lol we got there in the end anyway. :D

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:49 pm

I was about to chime in as I have a Ninja with that same paint scheme but white with those stripes... 91 is the year.

galavoxx

Postby galavoxx » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:59 am

Dimitrizee wrote:Just finished a crude restore of the Trail Breaker 3 I bought all the way from Perth a while back and just managed today to sort of finish it. Some parts had to be changed as they were a bit too far gone..like the brake levers. Luckily I found a while back an old 80's un-named MTB with an Exage Mountain groupset and unfortunately cracked frame on a nature strip near my workplace! It kindly offered it's parts for this assembly. I'm thinking this is an 87 model...had the same one when I was 13 (26 years ago) but with a smaller 21" frame as this is a 23". Took it for a ride and its awesome except for the worn cassette/chain!

That thing looks awesome. Good work!

Rowen33

Postby Rowen33 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi all
Been a few weeks the project rolls on,color is now charcol grey hammertone, wheels turned up today "mavic ksyrium" got me a bargin original rear wheel was stuffed over tightened cones can kill a hub I guess.
What I wanted to ask is has any one used a quill stem to Threadless converter? how do they look fitted? Is it worth the trouble.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:30 pm

Rowen33 wrote:
What I wanted to ask is has any one used a quill stem to Threadless converter? how do they look fitted? Is it worth the trouble.
Don't do it. They look naff. By yourself a new Cinelli 1A stem of eBay. It will look a lot nicer.

Rowen33

Postby Rowen33 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 am

more pics alson another project not a shogun but a reynolds[imhttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ctXXCUK7pHw/UYl9DjV1IKI/AAAAAAAAACc/9kH6YguiE4U/w398-h297-p-o/IMG_1732.JPGg][/img][imhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--qsa93t_k-w/UYl9QUTsyYI/AAAAAAAAADE/w0pM3W1VgDY/w398-h298-p-o/IMG_1826.JPGg][/img]

Rowen33

Postby Rowen33 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:41 am

try again the black bike is Reynolds usa 9.4kg fixie. happy with result cyclo gears added bit o weight 9.8kg total still not bad for 15year old bike.
on it's maiden voyage I got knocked off by a courier driver on Sydney road not bad but left side is stuffed. so no photos

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Sat May 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Rowen33 wrote:try again the black bike is Reynolds usa 9.4kg fixie. happy with result cyclo gears added bit o weight 9.8kg total still not bad for 15year old bike.
on it's maiden voyage I got knocked off by a courier driver on Sydney road not bad but left side is stuffed. so no photos
Well, I think you'll find this is the 'Shogun Appreciation Society' so 'not a Shogun' is not the opening line we were looking for! :)
You might find some appreciators in the fixed gear section, although it's looking a little dry these days...

Anyway, loved the before pic.

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Tue May 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Another addition to the Shogun collection; all I need now to complete the whole MTB model range for 1988 is a Trail Breaker 1.. Would've loved it if it was a 21" frame but as they say, beggars can't be choosers.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Tue May 21, 2013 6:56 pm

Dimitri, I'll swap you a wiring loom for the zed and a 20 yr old breville sandwich maker for it :mrgreen:
(Bad news about the apollo frame)... :?
Chris..
When in doubt......mumble.

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Tue May 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Done! as long as the sandwich maker has some old cheese on it...

The guy I bought it off was sad to see it go; it was like giving up his first born! Promised him it wouldn't be converted to a single speed.... hahaha

munga

Postby munga » Tue May 21, 2013 9:10 pm

prairie breaker team? very cool, man!

looks to be in pretty good shape too.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 pm

That looks great :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Dimitrizee

Postby Dimitrizee » Wed May 22, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks... Its a one owner, well looked after but has the standard bit of rust on the chrome section on the rear. The usual chips here and there but overall, in great condition. The original owner told me an interesting bit of info... all the first models in from Japan came with a 6 speed rear cassette and usual XT hub and RM20 wheel but soon after, they (the bike shops who stocked them) had a visit from Bikecorp with a new 7 speed complete wheel to replace the six speed as well as a new 7 speed XT shifter. He kept the original 6 speed wheel until about 2 years ago when he threw it out on hard rubbish! Ahhhhh!!! :shock: Anyone here picked up a mint RM20 black anodised wheel with an XT hub?

ShogunHy

Postby ShogunHy » Fri May 31, 2013 9:39 pm

Just bought a Shogun Metro SE flat bar Hybrid which had seen very little use - 21sp / Acera etc.. planning on using it for commuting to work and back. Will post up some pics soon. I seem to remember there was a Shogun only bike shop in Ivanhoe some years ago (looked like a house or restaurant from the outside).

porkchops

Postby porkchops » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:30 am

Theres some dude in Brisbane who posts on some of the international forums who just got a old Shogun time trial bike, its a weird looking thing. Theres also supposed to b another one in Brisbane as well thats a single speed conversion n I think both guys know each other, its freaky that thered b 2 of them hanging around the same area when i think they are pretty rare. Ill see if I can find the photo of the dudes bike.
I'm an expert because I read it all on the internet

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:01 pm

ShogunHy wrote:Just bought a Shogun Metro SE flat bar Hybrid which had seen very little use - 21sp / Acera etc.. planning on using it for commuting to work and back. Will post up some pics soon. I seem to remember there was a Shogun only bike shop in Ivanhoe some years ago (looked like a house or restaurant from the outside).
I couldn't give away my metro last year - now they're the perfect candidate for a cx conversion. And great as a commuter, too - looking forward to seeing yours!

ShogunHy

Postby ShogunHy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:04 pm

No photos as yet (too cold and wet in miserable Melbourne) and just got it back from the lbs after the rear hub chewed itself up on a 60klm ride - seems the bearings and axle were dry and should have been serviced - anyway got anew Alex 700c rim now and all is well - looking forward to some sun now to try her out - bloke at the lbs reckons its ~16 to 18 years old but in mint cond (little use and little servicing over that time too)
Shogun Metro SE Flat Bar Hybrid - Circa late 90's
Specialized Sirrus Comp - 2011

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:29 pm

Here is my Shogun Metro GS conversion to a CX bike. No before pictures, the wheels were potato chipped,
but most parts were on the frame. I removed all except the head stem. :) My bike has an adjustable head stem.

Here is a scan from the 1999 Shogun catalogue:

Here is the finished product:

A range of parts, some bought on ebay, others from the shed. Black theme.
I am riding this bike on Melburn-Roobaix (the main reason for the build).
Hopefully it will conquer the cobbles.
Will ride this bike for off road events/ light touring.

cycles gitane (now with an extra bike in the shed)
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:00 pm

I like it, turned out really nice 8) (Image copied from previous page, cycles gitanes bike)