Is it worth doing up an Apollo 11

Insomniac

Is it worth doing up an Apollo 11

Postby Insomniac » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:14 pm

I've got an old Apollo 11 (in pretty good nick) that I wouldn't mind doing it up to a respectable level. I remember buying it in 1982, after watching the road bike race in the Brisbane Commonwealth Games - v scary only seems like yesterday. Anyway after a couple of rides along the Comenarra Pwy(Sth Turramurra to the El Rancho pub in North Ryde (anyone who knows Com Pwy will sympathise) I gave it away and its basically only been ridden a few times since (including the Gong ride in the mid / late 90s that got called off at Waterfall - thankfully) and now resides in the old man's shed collecting dust and possibly some rust.

For old times sake and for a bit of fun I wouldn't mind getting it back to a usable road bike. Having only recently gotten into bike riding in any meaningful way and not knowing that much about bikes I'm just wondering if there are suggestions as to the components I could/ should upgrade. I know I might over capitalise a bit, but doing it for the fun - plus I currently own a hybrid bike and wouldn't mind a usable road bike as well - or am I kidding myself?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Trek 1.9
SE Lager SS/Fixie

leguman

Postby leguman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:12 pm

My 2 cents worth:

Yes definitely!

If you start by replacing the cables (brake and gear), tyres etc it will be pretty cheap.

A good cleaning/lubrication of the other parts should have them running again.

For tips on mechanical techniques, look to this forum, a good local bike shop and the internet (Sheldon brown and park tools are good sites to start).

It shouldn’t take too long to get your bike back in running condition. It won’t cost much either.

The benefits are twofold:

One - you’ll get a bike up and going again for almost nothing and
Two – you’ll pick up some mechanical knowledge in the process (if you stuff something up, there’s not a lot to lose).

If you want to go further you can replace the wheelset/grouppo etc. The list is endless, limited only by your budget and enthusiasm.

Go for it!

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:25 pm

I agree with leguman.
If it's not been ridden much, then its tyres are probably perished and won't take pressure. You could well get away with just checking and lubing cables if it hasn't been kept outside.
Once you start changing bits, the sky's the limit!
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

Insomniac

Postby Insomniac » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:35 pm

..sounds good..... I don't mind spending a bit of money on it.

I guess I was hoping to put a new groupset (to learn how to do it, as well as bringing it up to something decent), as well as new wheels. Was wondering what specific mid range parts would be suitable? Do all groupsets fit all bikes ..and in this case an Apollo 11? Cheers and thanks.
Trek 1.9
SE Lager SS/Fixie

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:00 pm

Wouldn't that be an 'Apollo II' ? Not sure if it was the 'I' or 'III' that was the higher quality Kuwuhara Jap frame. I threw out a seriously cracked one recently

Some discussion on Apollo I, II, and III's here and here

531db

Postby 531db » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:23 pm

kukamunga wrote:Wouldn't that be an 'Apollo II' ? Not sure if it was the 'I' or 'III' that was the higher quality Kuwuhara Jap frame. I threw out a seriously cracked one recently

Some discussion on Apollo I, II, and III's here and here
It is the Apollo IV that is the higher quality double butted chrome moly frame. The Apollo II is a basic high tensile steel frame that will be difficult and somewhat pointless to upgrade with a modern groupset . For example modern allen nut brake calipers will not fit hex nutted brake mounting holes and the reach will not be long enough even if you retain 27" wheels and even worse if you go to 700C. Then there is the dropout width and the pointlessness of good components on a basic hi-ten frame.

Experienced mechanics can spread stays/dropouts, redrill brake mounting holes etc, but overall it won't be worth the effort of a new groupset.

Far better to do a selective upgrade of neccessary components or perhaps go the fixie route.

Insomniac

Postby Insomniac » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 pm

Yeah remember the Apollo IVs were the top end models. Bought the II for $199 if memory serves me correctly - from Mick Mazzas 26 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bit ironic that, as I've just got back into riding and joined the DHBC Sat Slowies which leaves from right outside...Mick Mazza's.

Thanks for the feedback - might just put some new wheels on and a bit of a clean and lube.
Trek 1.9
SE Lager SS/Fixie

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:53 am

My son just recently acquired a Apollo 11 from the local Vinnies, it is in good condition and with a little bit of a clean up, new cables etc it came up really well.

it also has a kuwahara sticker on the bottom of the seat tube, no reference to tubing type.

Clean it up and keep it original would be my advice. I soaked the chain in kero cleaned and oiled it, new cables and he has a retro cool tredley for $20

I also owned an Apollo IV back in the day and it was their top model approx $500 if my memory serves me

aleg75

Postby aleg75 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:23 am

Fletch wrote:I also owned an Apollo IV back in the day and it was their top model approx $500 if my memory serves me
The Apolo IV I picked up yesterday still had the original docket, the owner paid $399 for it in January 1983.

Ash

Fletch

Postby Fletch » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:10 pm

That sounds right, a mate had a custom frame with shimano 600 and it cost him $200 more than i paid, the memory needed a kickstart :lol: