2013 Cycling Fatalities

ColinOldnCranky

Re: 2013 Cycling Fatalities

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:49 pm

jgon286 wrote:And how's the news report make it like 'poor lady she was all shook up'... What about the husband watching it all happen in front of him? My condolences to him and his family. All they wanted to do I'm sure is enjoy a beautiful Sunday morning ride.
We should always avoid rushing to judgement when there is so little info to go on. There is a suggestion that the driver may have passed out. It also seems that the cyclists had to move out from the edge of the road as there was a boat trailered there. Maybe the riders moved out into the path of a moving vehicle to avoid the boat without due care. Maybe the driver drove recklessly. Maybe the driver had a preexisting condition she knew of and should have handed in her license some time ago. Maybe she passed out but with no previous history to suggest it. Maybe maybe maybe. A lot of maybes until we know more.

In the meantime I can also feel for the driver. And so can the media. There are many victims in road deaths. Besides, it is almost certainly true that the driver was upset.

Concern is not like a bucket of money where as we spend it we have less to go around.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Another one.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-22/w ... ts/4773704" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:(

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:04 pm

just saw the Townsville story on ch.7 news. from what I've heard, definitely a slam dunk case of dangerous driving.
sympathy and thoughts are with the family of the killed woman.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:37 pm

A bit more coming out on the death of Maria Defino by an elderly driver in Pagewood. This is the case where a couple were riding on a main road and one was killed by a passing vehicle as they passed a boat parked on the verge. There is the possibility that the driver, a 79 yo nun, suffered an epileptic fit at the wheel. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/de ... 6665298317
Death charges over Maria Defino cyclist death in doubt
BY:CAROLINE MARCUS From: The Daily Telegraph June 18, 2013 12:00AM

HE family and friends of cyclist Maria Defino farewelled her yesterday as questions remain over whether the 79-year-old driver who crashed into her will be charged.

The 36-year-old was laid to rest following a traditional Greek Orthodox ceremony at the St Catherine's Orthodox Church in Mascot.

Ms Defino was hit by a nun believed to have suffered an epileptic fit at the wheel of her hatchback before ploughing into Mrs Defino and her husband Daniel while they were riding their bicycles in Pagewood on June 9.

The Sunday Telegraph revealed the driver was a Randwick nun with the Brigidine Sisters order, who can now be identified as Sister Anne Fitzpatrick. She is understood to have been driving a car owned by the order at the time of the accident.

The family have been told that police are interviewing a large number of witnesses and it was unclear whether charges will be laid.

During the funeral, Father Athanasios Giatsios said a "big question mark" hung over Mrs Defino's death.

"Why did Maria leave at this young age? Why did God allow for her to leave this earth in such a tragic way?" he said. The former J.J. Cahill Memorial High School student, who was working at Citibank at the time of her death, was remembered for her "beautiful smile" and charitable work.

"Maria was always a loving person with a beautiful smile who always cared for her loved ones and those who she did not know," Father Giatsios said.

"Our sister Maria was a person who always strived to do good deeds. Maria was heavily involved with her favourite charity, the (NSW) Cancer Council. From what I have heard, she was always there to lend a helping hand to those in need."

The Defino family is demanding regulations governing older drivers be overhauled so there is more rigorous testing of elderly people and more stringent medical tests.

zero

Postby zero » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:22 am

I'd view driving with epilepsy or any sort of history of blackouts as negligent driving myself.

Shred931

Postby Shred931 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:46 am

zero wrote:I'd view driving with epilepsy or any sort of history of blackouts as negligent driving myself.
Same, she was a ticking time bomb.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:50 am

The issue of age or medical condition aside, how could she NOT be charged with anything at all?
Sure, that may end up being nothing more than a driving ban given the circumstances, but I do not like the idea that they don't even charge the driver with anything, as if to say "well, it wasn't her fault".
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:15 pm

queequeg wrote:The issue of age or medical condition aside, how could she NOT be charged with anything at all?
Sure, that may end up being nothing more than a driving ban given the circumstances, but I do not like the idea that they don't even charge the driver with anything, as if to say "well, it wasn't her fault".
That's correct. At the very least there may be a charge of driving with an unreported known medical condition (which is a potential danger to driving).

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Hmmm. More assumptions. People are still rushing at any opportunity to paint the case as one of a heartless and irresponsible driver. All that I have introduced is that it is believed that she may have had a fit. Nothing to indicate if it was a first or any other foreseeable event.

Firstly, there is suspicion. I don't know how strong but sufficiently strong enough I guess that it has made it's way into the media. That's all.

People typically develop epilepsy at a very young age or it comes upon them for the first time with age and not often in between. So, secondly, it is quite likely to be a first attack in someone with no previous diagnosis.

Come on guys - We all have a little bit more information. Just store it away and add it to the pile as maore becomes available. At some point in the future it will all add up to enough to make an informed judgement. Before then absolutes in blame are premature and about as fair as motorists blaming every dead cyclist for bringing tragedy upon themselves. Lets leave the hating to others.

Zero, I do note that you did include the qualification of a medical history. Fair 'nuff.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:55 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Hmmm. More assumptions. People are still rushing at any opportunity to paint the case as one of a heartless and irresponsible driver. All that I have introduced is that it is believed that she may have had a fit. Nothing to indicate if it was a first or any other foreseeable event.

Firstly, there is suspicion. I don't know how strong but sufficiently strong enough I guess that it has made it's way into the media. That's all.

People typically develop epilepsy at a very young age or it comes upon them for the first time with age and not often in between. So, secondly, it is quite likely to be a first attack in someone with no previous diagnosis.

Come on guys - We all have a little bit more information. Just store it away and add it to the pile as maore becomes available. At some point in the future it will all add up to enough to make an informed judgement. Before then absolutes in blame are premature and about as fair as motorists blaming every dead cyclist for bringing tragedy upon themselves. Lets leave the hating to others.

Zero, I do note that you did include the qualification of a medical history. Fair 'nuff.
She was on medication for epilepsy so it wasn't her first seizure. She shouldn't have been driving and the nunnery should never have allowed her to use their car. There are no uncertainties about this case. She has now lawyered up.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:15 pm

biker jk wrote:She was on medication for epilepsy so it wasn't her first seizure.
Oh...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:41 pm

biker jk wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Hmmm. More assumptions. People are still rushing at any opportunity to paint the case as one of a heartless and irresponsible driver. All that I have introduced is that it is believed that she may have had a fit. Nothing to indicate if it was a first or any other foreseeable event.

She was on medication for epilepsy so it wasn't her first seizure. She shouldn't have been driving and the nunnery should never have allowed her to use their car. There are no uncertainties about this case. She has now lawyered up.
Mea culpa. I didn't see that. I'll re-read.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:38 am

Interesting, don't text and drive campaign, a lot of cyclists are the victims... http://goo.gl/jZodf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What the article does not mention is that some newer cars are doing text to voice, voice to text, even twitter and Facebook updates while on the go! Crazy..

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:33 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Interesting, don't text and drive campaign, a lot of cyclists are the victims... http://goo.gl/jZodf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What the article does not mention is that some newer cars are doing text to voice, voice to text, even twitter and Facebook updates while on the go! Crazy..
Yes cyclists are especially vulnerable to distracted texting drivers. That's why when I see drivers texting I suggest they stop it. Most oblige and apologise while a few tell me to "f-off". The penalties are not severe enough and the chance of being caught is slim (especially with so many cars having illegally dark tinted windows). As such, an education campaign will hopefully reduce this scourge.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Sadly a cyclist Milton Stephen, 76, was riding along Darley Road in Manly when he fell heavily onto the road. He was taken to hospital with serious head and facial injuries, a fractured pelvis and a broken rib. Six months later he has died from his injuries.

Given the SMH's new paywall, I have quoted the article in full below.
A cyclist who fell from his bike in Sydney's north has died in hospital, six months after he was knocked unconscious in the crash.

Milton Stephen, 76, was riding along Darley Road in Manly in January when he lost control of his bicycle and fell heavily onto the road.

Mr Stephen was knocked unconscious and was taken to Royal North Shore Hospital with serious head and facial injuries, a fractured pelvis and a broken rib.

Sadly, he never left.

Police said Mr Stephen had remained in intensive care, but his condition had slowly deteriorated in the six months after the crash. He died in hospital on Saturday.

Manly Police said they had investigated the cause of the crash in the months after Mr Stephen was injured, and there was no suggestion that another person or vehicle was involved in the crash.

However following his death, officers now were seeking further witnesses to compile a report for the coroner.

They have appealed for anyone who saw the crash, which occurred as Mr Stephen was riding north on Darley Road about 8.20am on January 19, to come forward.

Police said a member of the public attempted to help Mr Stephen at the crash scene, but they also would like to speak to a group of cyclists who were believed to have been riding ahead of Mr Stephen on Darley Road at the time.

Mr Stephen was riding a blue bicycle and wearing a green and black cycling jersey, black pants and a blue helmet at the time of the crash.

Anyone with information has been urged to call Manly Police on (02) 9976 8099 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
I have posted a separate thread just in case anyone witnessed the crash

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Another one down

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/20 ... -news.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2010 BMC SLC01

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:08 pm

57 year old guy out for a morning ride with his mate... tragic.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:20 pm

A ute eh?...
Paul B wrote:57 year old guy out for a morning ride with his mate... tragic.
What a horrible waste :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

tsatra93

Postby tsatra93 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:37 pm

biker jk wrote:She was on medication for epilepsy so it wasn't her first seizure. She shouldn't have been driving and the nunnery should never have allowed her to use their car. There are no uncertainties about this case. She has now lawyered up.
After being diagnosed with epilepsy, you do have your licence taken away. After getting medicated you need to go 6months without any epileptic incidents to be able to drive again. If the meds aren't working they'll either up the dose or change it until you no longer get seizures/blackouts/whatever else. Provided she had followed the procedure and was in fact taking her meds every day, then no i don't think she should be charged... However if she hadn't done that, and wasnt legally able to drive, then yeah she should have the book thrown at her. Regardless of her age, people don't release their seemingly insignificant actions can have tragic reactions

LG

Postby LG » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Mulger bill wrote:A ute eh?...
Paul B wrote:57 year old guy out for a morning ride with his mate... tragic.
What a horrible waste :(
Craig Saunders was a former colleague of mine and I along with many of the people I work with are in shock. A fair proportion of the Huon community would also be deeply effected by Craig's passing as he was well known and respected. Craig was a general all round nice bloke who couldn't do enough for his colleagues and the community in general. He will be missed. my condolences to the family.
LG = Low Gear

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:39 am

Apparently there's been another fatality this time not far from the city on the southside. A truck hit the rail bridge between Park Road-South Bank and fliped onto its side under the bridge. A cyclist just happened to be beside the truck when it hit the bridge. Just word of mouth from those passing by but if true a terriable way to die.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:38 am

Yeah there's an article on news.com.

Sounds pretty awful. Apparently trucks get stuck under that bridge once a week. Hopefully the driver gets hit with all possible charges. On the face of it, sounds beyond reckless.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:40 am

Confirmation from the QPS to us an hour ago that it was well away from today's RTCC route. A rider out training either solo or in a group. Died at the scene under the vehicle. RIP.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:44 am

Just saw the photo on news.com.au and it looks very similar to the post on the QPS Facebook page last night warning truck drivers/overheight vehicles to be cautious when going under railway bridges. If someone doesn't upload a copy here I'll do so when I get home from today's racing.