Hoffy and Eric Hendren

Dave2011

Hoffy and Eric Hendren

Postby Dave2011 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:51 am

Hey guys, Hoffy Cycles are celebrating 85 years at Sandgate Qld this year. Anyone with photos or stories that can be shared would be appreciated. Just flick them to their Facebook page or email them to hoffycycles@gmail.com

I'm sure they'll appreciate them

GaryF

Re: Hoffy and Eric Hendren

Postby GaryF » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 am

I'm afraid I haven't heard of Hoffy Cycles in Brisbane before but 80 years for a bike shop in business is a rarity indeed. I hope you find some photos. I would love to visit the shop if ever I'm in Brisbane.

morini

Postby morini » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:03 am

I was talking to a bike shop in Toowoomba the other day and the guy was telling me he'd been to a Hamilton Cycling Club reunion and caught up with Eric Hendren. Still kicking, pretty fit and loving red wine. The down side was that apparently when he sold the business the new owners of Hoffy may have chucked all of the frame making jigs and equipment plus some NOS parts to the tip. I hope not.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:47 am

I still have my Hoffy track frame and is on the fluid trainer. I will be putting my old 28sp wheels onto it and going to Caboolture Velodrome in the near future for some riding. :)

Hope they weren't dumb enough to dump all that equipement! :evil:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:20 am

I had a Hoffy a few years ago that looked to be mid range, ended up passing it on to a bloke who started out on a Hoffy and wanted one to restore :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

DanielW 1989

Postby DanielW 1989 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi,

This is my Hoffy. It was my Dads who brought it in Brisbane in the 70's. I ride it regularly. Have done around 6000Km on it this year. It still goes like the wind!
best steel frame I have ever ridden and its 40 years old.

Have a look at the pictures of my Hoffy below

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 433&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 433&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

powerclocks

Postby powerclocks » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:31 am

Hi. Nice site. I have an interest in Hoffy Bikes. I have two. One probably (going on design only) from mid 70's the other Mid 80's. I am going to have the top tube replaced. It has rust that is too bad to ignore. Any suggestions where I could get it done with out breaking the bank.
Life Will Kill You.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:54 pm

ldrcycles has used Dave Weir on the Sunshine Coast, I have quoted him below so he gets a notification & can reply.
ldrcycles wrote:I know Dave (I've got him doing some work on an old tandem frame at the moment), as far as I know he's not on here. His workshop is behind Inside Edge Surf Shop at Cotton Tree, give them a ring or send him a message on Facebook.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:23 pm

Cheers Bruce, my first recommendation would actually be to get in touch with Hoffy themselves, they are enthusiastic about promoting their history and I'm sure they'd be happy to help. Dave Weir does a great job for a very reasonable cost (I've had him repair a couple of frames before), on the northside of Brisbane I believe Joe Cosgrove still does repair work, along with his absolutely incredible paintwork.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia