Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:54 pm

GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition

Contour HD1080P

RigidMount with a Jumbo HD808 #11

Andrew

ZepinAtor

Re: Mounting Camera on a Road and Mountain Bike

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Contour camera mounted with an Exposure light mount.

Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:26 am

Aushiker wrote:GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition
Andrew
Thanks Andrew. Looks like I need to look for different mounting option for my Sony Action Cam. Looking at the photos, it seems that you have front and rear cam there.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:28 am

ZepinAtor wrote:Contour camera mounted with an Exposure light mount.
Is the Video upside down when mounted like that?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:09 am

rheicel wrote:
Aushiker wrote:GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition
Andrew
Looking at the photos, it seems that you have front and rear cam there.
Yes.

Andrew

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:40 pm

rheicel wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:Contour camera mounted with an Exposure light mount.
Is the Video upside down when mounted like that?
No as the lens can be rotated on the Contour camera to suit the mounting angle.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:05 pm

ZepinAtor wrote: No as the lens can be rotated on the Contour camera to suit the mounting angle.
Thanks. I have a Sony Action Cam and really it is a pain to put it anywhere in the bike.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:59 am

I have my GoPro on the front handlebars mounted like Aushiker has except with the smaller K-Edge mount (so the camera is closer to the bars).

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:03 am

Summernight wrote:I have my GoPro on the front handlebars mounted like Aushiker has except with the smaller K-Edge mount (so the camera is closer to the bars).
I should have bought GoPro as they have more aftermarket mount option. :(

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:14 pm

rheicel wrote:
Summernight wrote:I have my GoPro on the front handlebars mounted like Aushiker has except with the smaller K-Edge mount (so the camera is closer to the bars).
I had a the new Sony camera for a couple of days & had it mounted exactly the same as my Contour camera is in the photo above. I only returned/swapped the Sony over to the Contour because the battery life wasn't long enough (although you can buy spare batteries the same as the Contour, but the Contour isn't housed in a perspex case so changing on the run is easier)

If you purchase an Exposure light mount & the little mounting block which attaches to the light you can easily mount your Sony camera on top or under the bars as I have.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:21 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
rheicel wrote:
I had a the new Sony camera for a couple of days & had it mounted exactly the same as my Contour camera is in the photo above. I only returned/swapped the Sony over to the Contour because the battery life wasn't long enough (although you can buy spare batteries the same as the Contour, but the Contour isn't housed in a perspex case so changing on the run is easier)

If you purchase an Exposure light mount & the little mounting block which attaches to the light you can easily mount your Sony camera on top or under the bars as I have.
My Sony Camera came with an adapter that mount on the K-Edge (GoPro Handlebar mount). I am financially broke atm, so just waiting for the next commission to come before I can buy the K-Edge. I was shocked to see that the exposure light mount is also expensive.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:14 pm

rheicel wrote: My Sony Camera came with an adapter that mount on the K-Edge (GoPro Handlebar mount). I am financially broke atm, so just waiting for the next commission to come before I can buy the K-Edge. I was shocked to see that the exposure light mount is also expensive.
Yes unfortunately the Exposure mount is up there in the cost department, but it has a quick release pull down alloy red knob which releases the camera in literally 2 seconds. Definitely worth the extra $$ if you can afford it.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:37 pm

I tried a generic cheapo mount today, the video is horribly shaking all the way

gromek

Postby gromek » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Is the K-Edge worth the extra cost over the gopro brand bike mount?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:05 pm

gromek wrote:Is the K-Edge worth the extra cost over the gopro brand bike mount?
IMO, definitely yes. The official GoPro handlebar mount I bought was made of plastic and lasted 4 weeks of daily commutes (road riding only with speed bumps and other road bumps - only approx. 10km each day) before shearing through due to vibration (which I had tried to minimise by making sure everything was tight). When it failed (which I had been warned it would) I purchased the K-Edge mount and it is miles better as it is metal instead of plastic, everything screws tightly and doesn't have all the extra compatibility parts that are prone to failure like the GoPro's version .

Plus you can use the GoPro screw in the K-Edge mount to take the camera off and on as easily as you would with GoPro's version.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Summernight wrote:
gromek wrote:Is the K-Edge worth the extra cost over the gopro brand bike mount?
IMO, definitely yes. The official GoPro handlebar mount I bought was made of plastic and lasted 4 weeks of daily commutes (road riding only with speed bumps and other road bumps - only approx. 10km each day) before shearing through due to vibration (which I had tried to minimise by making sure everything was tight). When it failed (which I had been warned it would) I purchased the K-Edge mount and it is miles better as it is metal instead of plastic, everything screws tightly and doesn't have all the extra compatibility parts that are prone to failure like the GoPro's version .

Plus you can use the GoPro screw in the K-Edge mount to take the camera off and on as easily as you would with GoPro's version.
Thanks Summernight. I am not drinking coffee since last week to save up for the K-Edge. Lol.

gromek

Postby gromek » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:20 am

Summernight wrote:

My gopro mount broke during a race after about 2 weeks of use (yes i turned back to get the camera lol)
My replacement has held up okay so far although only ridden with it a few times

WIll definately look into it, my only issue would be trying to get the camera around the cables running from my shifters?
With the gopro mount i can sort of twist it and move it around to somehow get them out of the way but with the k-edge i dont see a way i could do this

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:30 am

gromek wrote:My gopro mount broke during a race after about 2 weeks of use (yes i turned back to get the camera lol)
My replacement has held up okay so far although only ridden with it a few times

WIll definately look into it, my only issue would be trying to get the camera around the cables running from my shifters?
With the gopro mount i can sort of twist it and move it around to somehow get them out of the way but with the k-edge i dont see a way i could do this
Tie a lanyard (or fishing wire) onto the camera and attach the lanyard to the handlebars to prevent loss of the camera if it happens again.

There are two handlebar mounting options that K-Edge sell - the close mount ('Go Big') which will have the issue with cables, and the 'Go Big PRO' which sticks out further to the front (see Aushiker's top picture for this second option).

I've got both K-Edge mounts but am using the normal one at the moment (the 'Go Big') that doesn't stick out. I tied my cables that stick out from the brifters with some ribbon and that keeps them out of the way of the footage and camera but I don't think I'd have to worry about that if I used the 'Go Big Pro' version.