How much to spend on cycling

herzog

Re: How much to spend on cycling

Postby herzog » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Do they still only sell Trek?

Good luck with that. Plenty of us won't touch that brand again for its disgraceful role in the Lance Armstrong scandal.

Attacking and marginalizing innocent whilstleblowers while defending a cheat does not make a good corporate citizen in my view.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:13 pm

Trek was party to Armstrong's tactics???

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:39 pm

herzog wrote:Do they still only sell Trek?

Good luck with that. Plenty of us won't touch that brand again for its disgraceful role in the Lance Armstrong scandal.

Attacking and marginalizing innocent whilstleblowers while defending a cheat does not make a good corporate citizen in my view.
They are (were?) the Trek Distributor for Australia (at least that was the case when I bought my Hybrid back in 2008).Not sure if that is still the case, since there is now a Trek Store in Rouse Hill.
Lance was right about one thing....it is most certainly NOT about the bike.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:10 pm

Xplora wrote:Trek was party to Armstrong's tactics???
Yeah Trek, Oakley and Nike were all complicit in attacking the whilstleblowers.

A hall of shame.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:25 pm

herzog wrote:
Xplora wrote:Trek was party to Armstrong's tactics???
Yeah Trek, Oakley and Nike were all complicit in attacking the whilstleblowers.

A hall of shame.
Link please. Thx. :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Well CXCommuter - I didn't spend much in there either, and I was certainly not snubbed. I'm certainly not the old money type with cash to burn. But I did get well looked after by the store manager in fact. And in subsequent purchases - I've also had good service from them.

From first time I went in there to the next time was a good 4 or so months. When I came back, they remembered who I was immediately. Attention to detail.

And I will not be crushing my Trek nor throwing away my Oakley glasses despite the theatrical din of outrage on here.

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Google Greg Lemond

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:36 pm

and Betsy Andreu

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Spend as much as needed plus a little bit extra. I am not what I consider a big spender on bikes. But competing in Mtb, TT, Road and CX costs a bit. If I only had one bike then I could spend a lot more on it!.
In the end I spend enough that everything is reliable and as I destroy things reasonably often I don't get upset that I spent too much on something that breaks.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:45 pm

g-boaf wrote:Well CXCommuter - I didn't spend much in there either, and I was certainly not snubbed. I'm certainly not the old money type with cash to burn. But I did get well looked after by the store manager in fact. And in subsequent purchases - I've also had good service from them.

From first time I went in there to the next time was a good 4 or so months. When I came back, they remembered who I was immediately. Attention to detail.

And I will not be crushing my Trek nor throwing away my Oakley glasses despite the theatrical din of outrage on here.
I knew a guy at work who got his commuter bike serviced there every year and was happy with them. Last time I remember going there was sometime before '93 and I thought I was treated fairly poorly, so I didn't go back. I don't live or work near the city these days so have no reason to try again.

Interesting they should remember you after 4 months. There must have been something unusual about you, your purchase/visit, or someone just has a very good memory.

gpz1100

Postby gpz1100 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:06 pm

I was there on Friday,I haven't been there in 10 years.i didn't buy nothing,just had a oogle around they have some nice bikes in there,first time a had a look at dura ace up close,wow what craftsmanship.the staff were so nice I kinda felt guilty being in there.
That's a great little stretch now.there is 3.5 bike shops within minutes walking from each other.cant remember their names but 1 is a specialized shop.the 0.5 is because clearence bikes has a women's shop.
Clearence sells trek&Eddie Merckx,didn't he get done for doping too? :mrgreen:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:32 pm

I know that Armstrong was a mongrel; I wanted to know if Trek and Oakley enabled that (beyond a general "we support our main endorsee, who is currently seen as a hero to thousands" which can be expected from any corporate sponsor).
Having Armstrong on your payroll for 10 years doesn't make you evil...

roller

Postby roller » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Xplora wrote:I know that Armstrong was a mongrel; I wanted to know if Trek and Oakley enabled that (beyond a general "we support our main endorsee, who is currently seen as a hero to thousands" which can be expected from any corporate sponsor).
Having Armstrong on your payroll for 10 years doesn't make you evil...
Oakley employee: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more- ... e-1.441582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trek cancels Lemond's line of bikes: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/ ... ong_271109" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
inflammatory statement or idea

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Oakley employee was a close friend - and I think you'll find that their livelihood was tied to good relationships with endorsing athletes. That was not the Oakley brand going after Betsy, but a nutty employee. If one person's behaviour is the actions of an entire multinational corporation to you, I suggest looking at your worldview.

Trek chose to end a relationship with a less influential person for a more influential person. Lance vs Lemond? Before the admission of fraud, you'd be a fool to pick Lemond over Lance because their prime market in the USA and Europe would respect and buy Lance more than Lemond.

That's business. It's grubby, but that's life. No one is trying to cancel my bike licensing because I don't have a name worth anything. If you don't like it, don't buy into endorsements and advertising. I don't. I bought Trek because that's where I do my weekend rides, at the local shop. They support local cycling. Hatred blinds more than blindness ;)

roller

Postby roller » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:04 pm

Xplora wrote:If you don't like it, don't buy into endorsements and advertising. I don't. I bought Trek because that's where I do my weekend rides, at the local shop. They support local cycling. Hatred blinds more than blindness ;)
where did i say i hated anything or did or didn't like it?
inflammatory statement or idea

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Herzog's comment. Not directed at you. :) Phil Liggett's tears told the story for me... Lance lied while looking friends in the eyes.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Nobody wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Well CXCommuter - I didn't spend much in there either, and I was certainly not snubbed. I'm certainly not the old money type with cash to burn. But I did get well looked after by the store manager in fact. And in subsequent purchases - I've also had good service from them.

I knew a guy at work who got his commuter bike serviced there every year and was happy with them. Last time I remember going there was sometime before '93 and I thought I was treated fairly poorly, so I didn't go back. I don't live or work near the city these days so have no reason to try again.

Interesting they should remember you after 4 months. There must have been something unusual about you, your purchase/visit, or someone just has a very good memory.

Nothing unusual - just that they were the place I went to get my first ever road bike. They didn't try to sell me into something over the top, they were helpful in getting me up and going. Really - it was something I wasn't quite sure I'd actually like - I had some doubts, but a colleague at work encouraged me. It was the best thing that I ever purchased. I did have the usual other doubts too - like "I'm not wearing those!" - and of course some time later, that changed. :lol:

Although I've purchased from a few other places - I keep going back to them because they know a bit about customer service. Giant Sydney are good too.
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Xplora wrote:Trek chose to end a relationship with a less influential person for a more influential person. Lance vs Lemond? Before the admission of fraud, you'd be a fool to pick Lemond over Lance because their prime market in the USA and Europe would respect and buy Lance more than Lemond.
Trek went further than that. They set out to destroy Greg Lemond and his business, all because he rightly tried to blow the whistle. Ultimately this took an enormous personal and financial toll on Lemond.

I'm not saying we should all crush our Trek bikes, my position is that I can choose where I spend my bucks and I'll be avoiding these guys in future due to this unconscionable behaviour.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:51 pm

Looks like Trek chose to end a relationship with Lemond - as the main supplier, he was gone once they pulled the pin. Mercx is in the same boat right now. It's reality that relationships are just as important as contracts, and ultimately Lemond's relationship wasn't as strong as Lance's. You would have to live in a mud hut on a subsistence farm to avoid the corporate dirtiness. They are all guilty of it. You just care this time because you care about Lemond.

GreyhoundCycle

Postby GreyhoundCycle » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:27 pm

I look at the positive side!

The article is telling people middle aged men on bikes are MEGA RICH!

Good to know many buy super bikes and change at high frequency, there will be more in the 2nd market for us too! Geart news~

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Nobody wrote:

Nothing unusual - just that they were the place I went to get my first ever road bike. They didn't try to sell me into something over the top, they were helpful in getting me up and going. Really - it was something I wasn't quite sure I'd actually like - I had some doubts, but a colleague at work encouraged me. It was the best thing that I ever purchased. I did have the usual other doubts too - like "I'm not wearing those!" - and of course some time later, that changed. :lol:

Although I've purchased from a few other places - I keep going back to them because they know a bit about customer service. Giant Sydney are good too.
g-boaf I am aware that many people enjoy shopping there (my parents are happy to visit/spend due to it's prestige aspect and stock). I have nothing against Trek and anything else they stock at CSC, just speaking from my own experiences there as a younger MTBer and roadie. I also have had poor experiences in several Perth bike shops (and many good experiences).

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Xplora wrote:Looks like Trek chose to end a relationship with Lemond - as the main supplier, he was gone once they pulled the pin. Mercx is in the same boat right now. It's reality that relationships are just as important as contracts, and ultimately Lemond's relationship wasn't as strong as Lance's. You would have to live in a mud hut on a subsistence farm to avoid the corporate dirtiness. They are all guilty of it. You just care this time because you care about Lemond.
Yes, Trek did nothing wrong which is why they paid a large settlement to Lemond. :roll:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:36 pm

Settlement means absolutely nothing. It can mean fear and manipulation by the settled party, because things can come out in court that might be commercial in confidence but need to be part of the public record. If you think the legal process can't be scammed, you're not as clever as you think you are.

If having a clean conscience was at the top of your list, you wouldn't ride a UCI spec bicycle - the entire peleton for decades has been stained by the UCI, so I'm not sure there is a moral high ground in the entire sport.... that's probably enough thread drift, I've said enough ;)

LM324

Postby LM324 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:16 pm

Regarding clarence st it certainly looks nice after the renovation. However you would be crazy to buy anything there full price (except for bikes). IIRC they were selling shimano m520 pedals for $90. Just down the road at Giant sydney they are $60 (which is the rrp I think). I suppose your experiience depends on the day/person though. I was in there once when a guy was looking to buy a road bike. The salesman was really pushy for the sale until the guy told him that he left his wallet at home. Another time however the salesman was really helpful to a guy looking to buy armwarmers.

Either way they are the store that least aknowledges my presence out of all the shops in the area. It doesnt bother me because I never buy anything anyway and they probably don't think that a kid in school uniform will spend a lot of money.City bike depot is the best, they always smile and say hi when I walk in.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:38 am

cyclotaur wrote:
diggler wrote: The average MAMIL aged 40 to 50 spends about $9000 on a road bike, which he'll replace every three years, Cook says.
I think it's really just the media continually trying to depict 'average' cyclists as narcissistic wannabees clogging up the roads for regular 'average' people ie. motorists. It suits their car-based agenda to portray cyclists as a spoiled, selfish, overwhelmingly male minority they can tag with a pejorative label like MAMIL.
I reckon you hit the nail on the head there.
Dogs are the best people :wink: