When will M2 reopen...

queequeg

Re: When will M2 reopen...

Postby queequeg » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:49 pm

Boognoss wrote:
leximack wrote:
Boognoss wrote: I thought it was you but have never worked out the pronunciation of your name. You're just "that Q guy" on the nice Ti frame. ;)
when in doubt, "mate", "dude", "buddy" is acceptable or even "Bro" or "cuz" if your kiwi/look kiwi :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Leximack. Choice bro :-P
duncanm wrote:
For wet weather (when the tunnel is flooded), my wet weather route across the M2 is Kandy Ave, Ray Rd then onto Kent and over the M2 at the footbridge.

Various quiet streets up to Beecroft Rd - then short footpath hop to Copeland Rd, or straight up Cheltenham Rd to Sutherland.
Thanks Duncanm, after trying this two days in a row this is a great outbound option and one I will do in all weather. I can't stand Sutherland Rd and the tunnel. I think it will be my main homeward route (until I get bored again :)). Using this route I didn't bother footpathing it each time so far. Even thought it was a bit of a climb with the usual red light on Beecroft Rd at Copeland Rd I took the left lane and wasn't hassled surprisingly. Good route!
They swept the tunnel today. it was full of mud as usual this morning, but had been cleaned out and washed for my ride home. Of course, the next time it brains it will be full of mud again.
Other than the tunnel, Sutherland Rd is a nice quiet ride. From Beecroft I get the long fast ride down Hannah St, which has no roundabouts to deal with (unlike Copeland).
It's mostly wet weather that makes Sutherland Rd awful. The worst I have seen the tunnel is with water up above the top of the fence, but I have also seen the aftermath of a storm:-

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:29 am

queequeg wrote:
They swept the tunnel today. it was full of mud as usual this morning, but had been cleaned out and washed for my ride home. Of course, the next time it brains it will be full of mud again.
Other than the tunnel, Sutherland Rd is a nice quiet ride. From Beecroft I get the long fast ride down Hannah St, which has no roundabouts to deal with (unlike Copeland).
It's mostly wet weather that makes Sutherland Rd awful. The worst I have seen the tunnel is with water up above the top of the fence, but I have also seen the aftermath of a storm:-

That looks bad. I just don't like that tunnel and then the rollercoaster on tired legs.

I used Hannah in my route too.

http://app.strava.com/activities/45130799" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:46 am

Boognoss wrote:
duncanm wrote:
For wet weather (when the tunnel is flooded), my wet weather route across the M2 is Kandy Ave, Ray Rd then onto Kent and over the M2 at the footbridge.

Various quiet streets up to Beecroft Rd - then short footpath hop to Copeland Rd, or straight up Cheltenham Rd to Sutherland.
Thanks Duncanm, after trying this two days in a row this is a great outbound option and one I will do in all weather. I can't stand Sutherland Rd and the tunnel. I think it will be my main homeward route (until I get bored again :)). Using this route I didn't bother footpathing it each time so far. Even thought it was a bit of a climb with the usual red light on Beecroft Rd at Copeland Rd I took the left lane and wasn't hassled surprisingly. Good route!
I'm glad you found it a good route... yes, I think I'd take Beecroft if turning left at Copeland... and have even waited for a gap and used it when turning right with success.

The wait at the bus tunnel isn't too long either - have never needed to use the lights 50m down to cross over to Ray Rd.

I tend to still use Sutherland in the dry as its nice and quiet and I can concentrate on that bloody rollercoaster!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:00 am

duncanm wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
duncanm wrote:

I'm glad you found it a good route... yes, I think I'd take Beecroft if turning left at Copeland... and have even waited for a gap and used it when turning right with success.

The wait at the bus tunnel isn't too long either - have never needed to use the lights 50m down to cross over to Ray Rd.

I tend to still use Sutherland in the dry as its nice and quiet and I can concentrate on that bloody rollercoaster!
I went via Kent St over the M2 today. Not a bad route. I took beecroft rd from Kirkham up to Hannah St and found it was fine.
I like the peace and quiet of Sutherland Rd though. The hills keep me fit. Last time I checked, I was 4th on the leader board for the climb up Cardinal Ave with a time just over 2min (starting at the bottom roundabout).
So, looks like the Kent st option is good for an alternate, but in pouring rain on the way home I might avoid Beecroft rd.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:59 am

I wrote to them asking specifically about whether the additional Lane Cove ramp will keep bikes off the whole M2 for the extra duration. Good news is that it won't.

Dear Simon

Thank you for your email which has been referred to me as, you correctly point out, the Lane Cove Road project is outside the scope of the Hills M2 Upgrade.

Completion of the upgrade (separate to the Lane Cove Road on ramp project) is targeted for mid-2013. At this time, cyclists will have their access restored to the motorway’s breakdown lane outside the area undergoing further work.

You are correct in your understanding that as the work zone for the Lane Cove Rd project will take up the eastbound breakdown lane between Lane Cove Road and Delhi Road, citybound cyclists will have to exit the motorway at this location and complete their journey using an alternative route.

However, westbound cyclists will have to the motorway access via the breakdown lane from Delhi Road to the M7.

Mobilisation of the Lane Cove Road on ramp construction site is expected to take place around mid-year and this project will take around a year to complete.

Your sincerely

Juliana Stackpool
Communications Adviser
1-25 Delhi Road (behind North Ryde train station)
North Ryde NSW 2113
Australia

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Six more weeks, I heard, that'd be for cars though.

trek52

Postby trek52 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:35 pm

rumour has it that you can ride from Pennant Hills rd West now and it can save up to 15 min off your trip from St Leonards to Rouse Hill. This is hearsay however, it wouldnt be me that had been doing this of an afternoon.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:48 pm

That's good news Simon. I wonder if that means they will fix that little segment between the old exit onto Talavera Rd and the end of the Lane Cove Rd On-Ramp (Westbound). That will be perfect for my ride home, and I can keep using the M2 detour inbound for another 6 months.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:54 pm

In reference to trek52's comment, if one rides up Pennant Hills Rd from Carlingford heading north, and turns left onto the M2, is there a "no bike access" sign - ie. one of the formal signs under the Road Rules (usually a bike with a black or red line through it, not the yellow noticeboard with lots of writing)? If not, it is reasonable to conclude that cycling is permitted.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:07 pm

queequeg wrote:That's good news Simon. I wonder if that means they will fix that little segment between the old exit onto Talavera Rd and the end of the Lane Cove Rd On-Ramp (Westbound). That will be perfect for my ride home, and I can keep using the M2 detour inbound for another 6 months.
That would be good although I never rode the M2 westbound from Talavera to Beecroft Rd as it closed before I started riding in 2007.

I'm happy with westbound and for eastbound while we would have to exit at Lane Cove Rd, I might use the M2 until the Browns Waterhole exit. That will allow me to join the M2 at Windsor Rd adding a few km and nice fast downhill run in the mornings again, and avoid the dodgiest of traffic in the North Ryde commercial area.

So close I can almost smell it.
trek52 wrote:rumour has it that you can ride from Pennant Hills rd West now and it can save up to 15 min off your trip from St Leonards to Rouse Hill. This is hearsay however, it wouldnt be me that had been doing this of an afternoon.
I wonder how heavy-handed the Police will be at enforcing that. I did notice the nice completed section of the M2 between Windsor Rd and P/Hills Rd from the bus this morning.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

trek52

Postby trek52 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:18 pm

Yeah not sure but I have been riding from old Windsor to Windsor for months no worries. And to be honest I will run the risk, anything is safer than the dipper and nth rocks rd both ways !!!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:35 pm

trek52 wrote:Yeah not sure but I have been riding from old Windsor to Windsor for months no worries. And to be honest I will run the risk, anything is safer than the dipper and nth rocks rd both ways !!!
Agree re that particular rd and big dipper. I've done it once in each direction about 4 yrs ago and never again!

Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD

Slavo

Postby Slavo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:04 pm

What's the latest with the M2? Can you ride from Brown's Water Hole eastbound now?

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Slavo wrote:What's the latest with the M2? Can you ride from Brown's Water Hole eastbound now?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=62275#p938181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Slavo - no you can't access from Browns Waterhole.

Last I heard from someone who should know is late July project completion. That would be for motorised vehicles. Letting bikes back on - well they must let us on within 3 months after project completion. Anyone who has worked in the building industry can tell you "project completion" is a term that can have remarkable flexibility, depending on the outcome you wish to achieve.

Having said that, I doubt they would delay "project completion" just to stuff cyclists around. They have other ways of doing that.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:08 pm

The cycling advocacy person in my BUG suggests it will be October.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 am

Sadly I drove today but spotted a notice on the overhead sign on the M2 saying that cyclists would be "back soon" and to drive safely.

trek52

Postby trek52 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:25 am

Been riding from old windsor to pennant hills rd in the mornings and from beecroft rd to old windsor in the arvos for a few weeks with no problems....

dj1679

Postby dj1679 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:19 am

Spoke to the M2 guys at head office today and they advised that westbound will be open from start to finish early August - was supposed to be later this month but the recent rain has pushed it a couple of weeks.

City bound is a different story though. From abbott Rd to Pennant Hills Rd exit will officially open at the same time as above (Early Aug) BUT from Pennant Hills to the end will not open till Early 2014 due to work commencing on Lane Cove Rd exit very soon. Did not get clarity on whether exiting at Christie Rd (Macquarie Park) was going to be an option though - will ask next time I see them and post here.

Should be a good ride till the settlement crack start to appear then back to bunny hopping again ;)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:07 pm

dj1679 wrote:Spoke to the M2 guys at head office today and they advised that westbound will be open from start to finish early August - was supposed to be later this month but the recent rain has pushed it a couple of weeks.

City bound is a different story though. From abbott Rd to Pennant Hills Rd exit will officially open at the same time as above (Early Aug) BUT from Pennant Hills to the end will not open till Early 2014 due to work commencing on Lane Cove Rd exit very soon. Did not get clarity on whether exiting at Christie Rd (Macquarie Park) was going to be an option though - will ask next time I see them and post here.

Should be a good ride till the settlement crack start to appear then back to bunny hopping again ;)
Good news RE westbound.

I'll be annoyed if Christie Rd or Browns Waterhole is not an option eastbound. I would use Browns on my morning commutes if that's an option.

From an engineering friend with industry contacts working on the M2 project, it's not the recent rain so much as the contractor doing the work having to re-install a heap of drainage that they mucked up the first time...... :roll:

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:33 pm

I'm somewhat curious about westbound - I currently come from Macquarie Park and then up Sutherland Rd (or alternatives). ie: North from the M2 before Pennant Hills Rd.

Are there any exits around (before or after) Beecroft Rd.. other than Beecroft Rd itself?

The only option I see myself being able to use is Beecroft/Kandy/Ray/Kent. I don't fancy going up Beecroft itself, and you can't easily get to The Crescent from the M2/Beecroft interchange.

Would love a bicycle exit around Cheltenham somewhere.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:59 pm

duncanm wrote:I'm somewhat curious about westbound - I currently come from Macquarie Park and then up Sutherland Rd (or alternatives). ie: North from the M2 before Pennant Hills Rd.

Are there any exits around (before or after) Beecroft Rd.. other than Beecroft Rd itself?

The only option I see myself being able to use is Beecroft/Kandy/Ray/Kent. I don't fancy going up Beecroft itself, and you can't easily get to The Crescent from the M2/Beecroft interchange.

Would love a bicycle exit around Cheltenham somewhere.
Nope, it is Browns Waterhole, then Beecroft Rd, then Pennant Hills Rd

I'd love an exit at Kent St so you can loop up and over the M2 and onto Castle Howard Rd. We would just need a hole in the noise barrier!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Looks like the westbound breakdown lane will be available to cyclists Monday 28 July. Bad news for eastbound access however.

Hills M2 Upgrade completion due early August
26 July 2013
The third westbound lane from Delhi Road to Pennant Hills Road with a 100km/h speed limit, including through the Norfolk Tunnel, will be open to motorists on Monday, 28 July, marking the completion of upgrade work on the westbound lanes.

“The opening of the third westbound lane in its final arrangement from Delhi Road, North Ryde, and Pennant Hills Road at Carlingford, including signposting to 100km/h, will provide motorists with a better run home in the afternoon peak,” project spokesperson, Juliana Stackpool, said.

“Final work on the citybound lanes between the tunnel and main toll plaza is continuing.”

When complete in early August, three citybound lanes will also open between Windsor Road and Lane Cove Road with a 100km/h speed limit between Windsor Road and Terrys Creek Bridge, North Epping.

The citybound speed limit from Terrys Creek Bridge to Delhi Road will be 80km/h while additional maintenance work is carried out to strengthen the motorway embankment at Marsfield. Work to build the new eastbound Lane Cove Road on ramp will also start in September.

The breakdown lane on both sides of the motorway will reopen except for a short section eastbound at Marsfield. This lane will be used to create a safe working space while work is carried out to strengthen the embankment which is expected to take around 20 months.

The citybound T2 lane from the Norfolk Tunnel to Lane Cove Road will not open until the embankment maintenance at Marsfield is complete.

Cyclists will have full access to the westbound breakdown lane at the completion of final work.

Citybound access will be limited to Pennant Hills Road where cyclists will have to exit the motorway and join the alternative cycle route until the embankment maintenance and Lane Cove Road on ramp is finalised.

“The Hills M2 Upgrade has been the largest project carried out on an operational motorway in Sydney,” Ms Stackpool said.

“When complete in early August the Hills M2 will provide motorists travelling to and from Sydney’s North West with less congestion and more reliable travel times.

“The toll at the main toll plaza will be $6.05 for cars and motorcycles and $18.15 for large vehicles on completion. This is the first increase for cars since 2009 and only the second increase since 2006.

“The project team appreciates the patience the public has shown while upgrade work was carried out.”

http://www.hillsm2.com.au/news.htm

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Hey that's a good thing for escaping from work in the evenings for me. I'm never that keen to get TO work too fast. ;-)

At least an end is in sight. Finally!!!

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:02 pm

Boognoss wrote:Hey that's a good thing for escaping from work in the evenings for me. I'm never that keen to get TO work too fast. ;-)

At least an end is in sight. Finally!!!

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
+1

I will probably use westbound to get home quickly, but keep using the detour inbound.
Not like I have much choice anyway as eastbound will be inaccessible for another 2 years by the looks of it!
I won't particularly miss cycling up Cardinal Ave each night, but I will enjoy trying to maintain 45km/h on the M2 :-)