80's era Concorde build advice.

funnybike

Re: 80's era Concorde build advice.

Postby funnybike » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:01 pm

dayne wrote:why not choose campagnolo Athena 11 in polished silver?
Oooooh, now that would be sexy with the black rims. :shock:

Do the Campy Athena hubs come with a Shimano spline option? :twisted:

dayne

Postby dayne » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:12 pm

No but the white industries do and look a whole lot nicer and are bullet proof.

simurs4

Postby simurs4 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:52 am

Thought i'd post up a pic of the Concorde frame, almost decided what parts will be going on it, and i've also just scored an '89 Concorde Squadra PDM frame/fork with TSX tubing. the Aquila will be using 80s spec gear as i think it would look weird using modern stuff with the paint scheme, and once i get the Squadra ill be putting on either 10 or 11 spd Record components and deep black carbon rims which im imagining will look awesome.
heres the Aquila

and this is what the Squadra will look like, same paint scheme etc

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:06 pm

simurs4 wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. I pretty much had my mind made up on either c record or chorus so will probably have to collect peices individually over time as most complete groupsets ive seen for sale have wrong sized cranks or seat posts etc.
it will be a pretty eye catching thing once its on the road the original paint job is wild! Pure 80s!
HI mate i have a 9sp chorus group set you may be interseted in the BB & head set are italian thread,cassette is aftermarket overall the group is in good cond,minor rub marks on ds crank ,they are 172.5 will also include an original set of campag SR 50th anniv pedals minus the gold caps .cheers

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:28 pm

munga wrote:i think it might be a real concorde, like this:

Munga I spotted this very bike half parted, growing Ivy and gathering rust in a rural part of the world south if Brisbane today. Identical paint, chrome work in the forks, Columbus decal on the seat tube (not sure which though) and sitting beside 11/2 sets of what I think were Wolber tubs. What is this model of Concorde?! Waiting for the owner to call me back if its available!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Additional info on what I found today. If I remember correctly the frame didn't have the tricolour swishy stuff separating the black and white on the frame, but I'm sure it did have WC bands doing it instead. The decals etc were under a clear coat and it appeared to be legit. I thi k it also had simething stamped on the rear dropouts.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:01 pm

concordes in varied states of quality came out in the PDM colours. PDM were the sponsors of a very successful pro team. Even if it's a bottom of the range concorde, it's still quite likely a very decent frame. I think Aelle is as cheap and cheerful as it gets, right up to SLX.
if it has the race tag under the top tube, you don't need me to tell you what to do with it,
and if its a 53cm frame, you don't need me to tell you what to do with it.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:52 pm

munga wrote:concordes in varied states of quality came out in the PDM colours. PDM were the sponsors of a very successful pro team. Even if it's a bottom of the range concorde, it's still quite likely a very decent frame. I think Aelle is as cheap and cheerful as it gets, right up to SLX.
if it has the race tag under the top tube, you don't need me to tell you what to do with it,
and if its a 53cm frame, you don't need me to tell you what to do with it.
rofl

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:32 pm

Concorde Europa, Taiwanese frame 4130 mostly tig welded. Exage 300ex group.

I think they must have used Giant or somebody like that for the low end stuff. It is a pretty nice ride, very similar to a shogun.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

LG

Postby LG » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:42 pm

I believe they are diferent brands, the Dutch Concorde, then the Asian bikes.
LG = Low Gear

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:20 pm

That makes sense. This one is pretty generic, like a repco Olympic 12 or similar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

munga

Postby munga » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:27 pm

Uh oh drubie's alive

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:04 am

Alive and cycling!

Looking at the picture of the Squadra above, this bike has very similar decals (the Europa is spelled out in calculator letters) so I figure the theory that this Concorde is not from the same company is wrong. Sure, it's not a spendy euro frame, but even Concorde must have found it impossible to resist the Taiwanese juggernaut of cheap bikes.

I only bought it because I thought it was a bloody Europa, not a Concorde. I felt like a bit of an idiot when I got it back. I put about 30km into it so far and I reckon it would be a fine commuter bike if only I could stop sticking my fingers in the front wheel when I go to change gear.

Like most of the Exage shimano stuff, despite having had no evidence of being serviced for 30 years, it indexes perfectly. Amazing.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:19 am

LG wrote:I believe they are diferent brands, the Dutch Concorde, then the Asian bikes.
Concorde was never a manufacturer in their own right. They always outsourced production of their frames to contract framebuilders. This thread is an interesting thread.

In later years (once the brand had received some great promotion in the euro peleton) models at the lower end of the scale were a natural way to increase market share, though obviously not that successful over the longer term.

I have one of those fluoro Europas as well, and it looks to be a "fitness bike". I suspect the rear end is 1020 steel. The Belelux equivalent of a Repco Superlite IMHO.

I also own this as well (well, it's my partners bike now). A 2011 Concorde Alloy framed roadie with a carbon fork. It seems that Wiggle now owns the rights to the name, and used it to brand a modern PDM replica. Chain Reaction has done the same thing (but on a much bigger scale) with Viner.

LG

Postby LG » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:42 am

Velo13 wrote:Concorde was never a manufacturer in their own right. They always outsourced production of their frames to contract framebuilders. This thread is an interesting thread.

In later years (once the brand had received some great promotion in the euro peleton) models at the lower end of the scale were a natural way to increase market share, though obviously not that successful over the longer term.

I have one of those fluoro Europas as well, and it looks to be a "fitness bike". I suspect the rear end is 1020 steel. The Belelux equivalent of a Repco Superlite IMHO.

I also own this as well (well, it's my partners bike now). A 2011 Concorde Alloy framed roadie with a carbon fork. It seems that Wiggle now owns the rights to the name, and used it to brand a modern PDM replica. Chain Reaction has done the same thing (but on a much bigger scale) with Viner.
Thanks for that, I was aware the Concorde brand didn't manufacture their own bikes, but didn't realise they put their name on some of these cheaper Asian bikes in later years. There was a separate Concord brand that sold into the North American market in about the 80s, though spelt without the 'e'. I only know this as I bought what is likely a CIOCC built Concorde while in Canada a few years ago and did some googling to confirm what it was pre-purchase. I'm no Concorde expert.
LG = Low Gear