Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

rosscojj

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby rosscojj » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Thought I would give the apollo thread a bump. My Apollo Mixte that I finished a while ago. Very nice to cruise on. Added some mud guards since the photo.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Noice.... :D
When in doubt......mumble.

rosscojj

Postby rosscojj » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Well i just won this for $5 on ebay, wasnt expecting to win with one bid. Hopefully the seller doesn't bail but i feel a bit bad snatching it for $5. Seller said the model was Adura but google doesn't show much for that, just the name on the seat?

Looks like an Apollo Eclipse or Apollo Concorde. Wasnt much detail might be pretty low end running gear but for $5 i can't complain.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Apollo-Race- ... true&rt=nc

jools

Postby jools » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:07 pm

I had an Apollo Crossroads hybrid with an adura seat and an 'adura equipped' sticker on the frame - its definitely not the bike model

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:09 pm

Yea looks like a Concorde or something similar. The Adura just refers to the seat, a lot of Apollos had them and had "Adura Equipped" stickers (like the shimano equipped or powered by SRAM stickers you see on lots of bikes), if the seat is still in good nick you might find it to your liking, I don't mind them.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:31 pm

My 1992ish Team Apollo, full Shimano 105 with dual pivot brakes came with the Poxy Adura Equipped sticker of the Top tube, (see post above Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:27 pm) It looks extra poxy with the Apollo and Team mozaic of fluro pink, fluro green and fluro blue. Adura Equipped does refer to the Saddle. Saddle is Okay however prefer Turbo, Selle San Marco Concor or the Sakae's that were on the REPCOs from the era though.

Rob

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Picked this up last week at my local trash an treasure markets...after years of kmart kids bikes, finally a decent steelie..
Very clean Apollo III for $20 .... :shock: I almost fainted when the guy said the price. He also gave me the original booklet, and the 1981 catalogue with all the prices from world of wheels ( the distributer).
Thats 7 apollo steelies :roll: .. If the wife walks into the shed, Im a gonna.....
Pic taken before I detailed it..

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:08 pm

Toddled off to the tip shop this morning hoping to grab the Repco superlite in the rasta colour scheme I spotted there yesterday arvo. Was there 2 minutes after opening and it was already gone :(

So grabbed this instead. Apollo Concorde, running full shimano gear (including QR hubs), combination of lx (derailleurs, cranks, shifters) and ex (levers, brakes). Biopace rings, Mismatched rims, tange 900 double butted frame with 4130 fork. Sakae Stem + seatpost, selle san marco saddle. Bars are hsing-lo or w/e they are called. Looks like it should clean up pretty well, appears to be in reasonably honest original nick under the coat of grime. Once I get it home and get the approval for man cave time from GLW then I will look into it a bit deeper, havent had a chance to look for date codes, serial #'s, measure the frame etc (although im guessing around 56cm). All in all a decent buy for $25 IMO. If anyone knows more about it feel free to share, the small amount of googling I have been able to do so far hasnt turned up much, couldnt find another in the same colour scheme.

Edit: couple of minutes on velobase is leading me toward a 1988 model at the moment.

master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Good find mate but it certainly not a 56cm. More like a 63cm centre to top seat tube.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:19 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Good find mate but it certainly not a 56cm. More like a 63cm centre to top seat tube.
Shh..... I can ride a 56, maybe a 58 at a pinch :lol:

In saying that, the photo is a little deceptive, head tube looks longer than it really is. But deep down I know it's probably not a 56, but im going to stick to that illusion until I know otherwise.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Curious on fork crowns of that type/era. They're not unicrowns as we would normally describe, correct? But they're still 1 (forged?) piece, by the looks. Certainly more elegant.
Another alternative is growth plate injections (femur), to get you up to size.. Get you up to size. (forgive me, it's a slow day here).
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:33 pm

frailer5 wrote:Curious on fork crowns of that type/era. They're not unicrowns as we would normally describe, correct? But they're still 1 (forged?) piece, by the looks. Certainly more elegant.
Another alternative is growth plate injections (femur), to get you up to size.. Get you up to size. (forgive me, it's a slow day here).
Slow day here as well :) Pretty sure those fork crowns are Tange Champion Aeros and have a socket type of of connection with the fork tube

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:44 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Good find mate but it certainly not a 56cm. More like a 63cm centre to top seat tube.
Damn you and your eagle eyes :P

Rough measurements show ST is 61 ctc and 63 ctt. TT is 58 ctc. Oh well, will be a good practice mule for the shed and can move it on once tidied up and keep hunting for something my size.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Nice find...and here was I feeling good about my $20 aquisition !
At our local tip shop only 1/2 decent 80s roadies go for between $80-120... 2 apollo III's sold in the last couple of weeks for $80 and $100....greedy local government :evil:

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Kermit TF wrote:Nice find...and here was I feeling good about my $20 aquisition !
At our local tip shop only 1/2 decent 80s roadies go for between $80-120... 2 apollo III's sold in the last couple of weeks for $80 and $100....greedy local government :evil:
Normally i would agree, but ours is run by a local mob who give employment opportunities to those with mental & physical disabilities and afaik they get the profits. Occasionally ive probably paid a little over the odds for some things but dont mind doing so. $25 is about as dear as their bikes get, finding something half decent is the problem.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:44 pm

The Caboolture tip shop is like that. You need to check out the tip shops that are in the more affluent areas. More money means better quality cast always. :lol:

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi everyone, just starting to get into the Retro biking world. A mate of mine has a 1990 Giant Iguana that he converted to singlespeed a year-ish ago which got me thinking more and more about retro bikes. I was hoping to find a late 70's early 80's roadie, as it would look good sitting next to my Z (classic with classic sorta gimmick :P ). After looking for a fair while, came across an old Apollo Jaguar that would suit my needs. Yes, it's a low end Apollo (especially considering the majority of other Apollo's in this thread, can't believe people have picked up some so cheap!), but because it's going to be a project bike, it doesn't really bother me, I was mostly after the frame.

Got it at a price I was happy with and after a quick tune up, adjustment it was ready to ride to work. At the moment the paint is worn and beaten (to be expected); so I'm tossing up whether I'm going to respray (original colour scheme or hugger orange front and black back) or keep it as is. I'm also trying to decide whether to just convert it to a single speed with a flip-flop hub, or put a coaster brake on it.

As far as I can tell it has most of the original gear on it, steel wheels etc. But it has an indexed shifter for the cassette, not sure if it's normal to have a mix of indexed and non-indexed shifters? Only things it really needs doing now is to re-adjust the crank (never dealt with older types, so I'll see how I go) and polish the rim a bit more and do a bit more truing of the wheels and then onto the project once I decide on the final configuration.

Cheers,

Rob

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Looking good Rob...its all about inspiration.. :D
Your not the same fuzzydropbear from over at auszcar are you ?
Chris..

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:43 am

Kermit TF wrote:He also gave me the original booklet, and the 1981 catalogue with all the prices from world of wheels ( the distributer).
Hey Kermit, does the 1981 catalogue list the a colour type for the yellow III? I've got an '81 one getting a very slow resto that could do with a touch up in some areas. You could save me trying to get a match at the local auto shop :wink:
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:16 pm

Hey Chris, small world hey! Yeah, there's only one of me as far as I know :lol: I'm not really active on the Z club anymore for various reasons, but still working on the Z but my journal is a fair bit out of date.

I noticed you had a few early Apollo's in your sig; love that III that you picked up. Bargain! 8)

Cheers mate.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Yeah the new website moderator is also a regular on here (dimitri with the track zed) .. The mighty zed needs some love, Im hoping to get upto Wakefield , see what lap times she does. Its funny how the 3 of us end up in the retro section , its where the cool dudes hang out ! 8) 8)

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:00 pm

had a chat with a lady getting into her '71 pale yellow 240z at the hardware store the other day. she's owned it for about 20 years, and still can't find a valid reason to sell it, "unless they stop making petrol".

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:20 pm

My mates got a 240Z set up for circuit racing just sitting in his shed covered in a tarp. Apparently he's looking after it for another mate who moved to the US about 12 years ago. :roll:

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:36 am

Ha, I did see Dimitri's name pop up looking for the Prarie Breaker.

It's amazing how many people seem to keep their Z's and don't let them go, much like the lady with the Yellow 240. Luckily it sounds like she's still using it. I hate to hear of them stuck under a tarp like singlespeedscotts mate :( sounds like I need to give him a ring and offer him some $$$ to set it free :lol: Although, in saying that, mine's still sitting as a bare shell with rust repairs being done to it...

Next stop, to start buying old garage signs to decorate the garage 8) lol!

Apollo3

Next project

Postby Apollo3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:25 pm

Picked up these 3, black IV is too big, red III seems to have a mis-match of gear, yellow III is nice apart from centre pull brakes.

I think I'll pull all the bits off and then build up one nice one.