where to trade in your bike for a new one

caldina98

where to trade in your bike for a new one

Postby caldina98 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi everyone
I love riding on the road which is why I want a road bike. But before I lash out an buy one, the wife wants me to sell my current bike (giant roam 2 2013). 99 bikes have trade in offers, are there any other lbs that offer this service?

munga

Re: where to trade in your bike for a new one

Postby munga » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:30 pm

call and ask various stores local to you and ask if they take trades. i've always sold privately. come to think of it, i've never bought a brand new bicycle before :P

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:39 pm

eBay, gumtree etc should get rid of a bike fairly quickly, probably get more dosh from that too. LBS will give you a price they can still make some sort of profit on.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Have you tried telling her the advantages of having 2 bikes? :P

With tradeins its the same as car dealerships. This is just me but I'd say you'd have a better chance of getting more if you sell it privately via Ebay, gumtree, bike exchange etc. It might just take longer to offload.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:01 pm

bychosis wrote:eBay, gumtree etc should get rid of a bike fairly quickly, probably get more dosh from that too. LBS will give you a price they can still make some sort of profit on.
Not always. Dee Why Bike Hub generally seems to put them on sale at what they paid for the trade-in.

caldina98

Postby caldina98 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:29 am

Thanks for the replies. I will call up riders in mount gravatt and check out what 99 bikes have to offer. Re second bike, we live in a small unit and I really dont like hoarding onto things.
I will keep you guys updated :)

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:27 pm

I sold my last roadie on gumtree. First to look at it bought it, no hassles, no extortionate eBay fees, I was happy.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.