A compatible front derailleur for Tiagra 9 speed levers?

Cheesewheel

A compatible front derailleur for Tiagra 9 speed levers?

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:32 pm

After changing the handlebars on my Surly LHT, I just came to this wonderful conclusion after spending the last 4 hours pulling my hair out trying to adjust the front derailleur (the rear one is fine):

Tiagra levers are not compatible with xt front derailleurs
:oops:

I have Shimano Tiagra 4500 Double 3 x 9 Speed STI Levers
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=22652" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a Shimano XT M770 Top Swing 9sp Front Mech
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=20684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wanted integrated brake and gear controls so I guess the easiest way out of this mess is to find a compatible front top swing derailleur.
Any suggestions ?

Will the chain ring add another variable I have to weigh in with my choice of parts?
Go!Run!GAH!

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: A compatible front derailleur for Tiagra 9 speed levers?

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:43 pm

AFAIK STI's & top swings's dont like each other.

Sheldon says:
The ratio of cable movement to derailer movement differs with Shimano's "road " vs. "MTB " front derailers. This can cause indexing problems if you use a "road" front derailer with upright handlebars or a "MTB" front derailer with drop handlebars. This is a concern if you are running an indexed front shifter, such as Shimano STI or RapidFire shifters.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:53 am

Anything between 2300 & Dura Ace road derailleurs will work. No top-swing (AKA low-clamp) FD in existence will work with STI levers.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 am

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Urgh, those Shiftmate things are terrible. We were selling Charge bicycles equipped with 2300 shifters, a Shiftmate pulley, a 2300 front derailleur and Sugino cranks. The STI's work badly with non Shimano cranks, because they rely on properly aligned pins and ramps, so the chain would skate between shifts. Then add the Shiftmate to the mix, and the shifting was so bad that two were returned to us within two months. We re routed the cables under the bottom bracket with clamps and stick on cable stops, but it wasn't pretty. You'll also find that STI's don't quite have the right cable pull for Cantilever brakes, it works *in theory* but it just feels sloppy.
This would be my solution, I love these things. They are fast and responsive, will work forever and give instant gear feedback.
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=13648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Then again, maybe those ones are better. You can try it. I just seriously dislike STI's and would get rid of them at the first opportunity :lol:

*edit* maybe I'm being a little harsh after reading about that Shiftmate, I don't think the one that came on the Charge bicycles was nearly quite as nice. Give it a go.