Innovative parts storage

WestcoastPete

Innovative parts storage

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Hi all

I'm planning a new, purpose built workshop and was wondering if anyone had some innovative ideas on how to store parts. Sure, keeping cranksets in a box works, but it makes it difficult to pull out exactly what you're after or visualise what you have at a quick glance. Handlebars? Derailleurs on shallow draws perhaps? Like those used by drafting firms for drawings?

I'd be interested in your ideas.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

jacks1071

Re: Innovative parts storage

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:27 pm

Sounds like you'd almost want to use retail type storage in your workshop area?

Checkout some stuff called Slatwall, its not the cheapest stuff but its very flexible. Sometimes you can pick it up 2nd hand.

I outfitted our IT store with it years ago. I noticed a shop in the local shopping centre had vacated and left their slatwall up and I was able to do a deal with the centre management to purchase it very cheap as long as I removed it myself and we re-plastered any holes in the walls from where it was mounted. Saved a fortune.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:10 pm

I have wall mounted hooks with like a pvc coating on them for my wheels. Handle bars hand on the same type off hooks, cranks and spare chains sit in wall mounted cupboard with a perspex door and a old chain wrappred around the chainwheel to protect it.

Workstand is screwed into my work bench and has white plastic top so you cant lose small parts ( mavic Pawls ans springs for example aks me how I know)

Tools are keep in a upright toolbox thing on wheels.

Hang my bikes by the back wheel on a zenith wide hook things with pvc on them from the beams supporting the roof.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:53 am

I would look to something like Reflex's Action Racking. They use industry standard stacking/nesting Nally bins (available in a range of depths and volumes) as the storage module and are a joy to use. You can also buy lids for the storage bins if your workshop is a dusty space
http://www.reflexequip.com.au/c/4472509 ... ystem.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the smaller parts then louvre panel and the like are the go but they are spectacularly expensive. My preference would be to use a storage case or two like the stuff in this range http://www.reflexequip.com.au/c/4472531 ... cases.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and keep them in the bigger bins
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:24 am

Big things: hooks are really the only way. Rims, wheels, frames, bars, cranksets, saddles.
Medium things: drawers. FD/RD, levers, brake calipers, seat posts, stems, BB's, pedals.
Little things: nail jar lid to underside of shelf. Fill jar. Screw jar onto lid. Cable ends, ferrules, bolts, screws.

That's an ideal. But I've got most of my stuff in a white poly Aus Post delivery box on the floor, plus scattered stuff on the bench. And a small parts box I bought from Bunnings.

Jim

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:07 pm

I bought 4 shallow-ish tubs for my parts, then put the parts into 4 categories. They've got lids to keep the dust etc out. The 4tubs fit nicely under my work bench in a 2x2 arrangement. one day I'll get around to putting a drawer runner under the top tubs so I don't have to get two out to get to the bottom ones. Bars, tyres and other big parts live on some hooks scattered around in strategic (available) places in the garage.

Edit: my four categories, accessories, drivetrain, controls, wheel bits need a bit of work, the amount of gear in the tubs varies too much. Drivetrain is too full. Accessories doesn't have much in it.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:40 pm

A couple of Straco cupboards and a few tubs from Ikea did me nicely.

Still a bit of it is in a "horizontal storage system" - ie the floor.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:03 pm

Got a friendly cafe? The long 5 litre gelati tubs are perfect size for a whole grouppo. stack well too.

revinR1

Postby revinR1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:30 pm

$2 shower hangers (the things that hang from shower and the wife puts her shampoo etc in. Use these to store cans of WD40,degreaser,hand wash etc , get plastic fruit jars to store nuts/bolts etc, When I raced motorbikes my trailer had about 8 of those shower racks cable tied around inside with everything in a neat order.Now I have these thru out the shed storing bits in work areas.