A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Part 2!

ldrcycles

Re: A year in the life of a wannabe racer- Part 2!

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:04 pm

Not good news.

This morning I was intending to drive down to Beerwah to do repeats at Bellthorpe but slept in, at least that enabled me to get plenty of work done around the house.

So in the evening it was onto my newest singlespeed (a flatbar with 38mm tyres and a 52-16 gear) to ride down to Mooloolaba for a fixie ride.
I felt rubbish the whole way and couldn't manage more than 34kmh on the flat, and only for a short time.

It seems likely that I have pushed myself too far and overdone it, so I should back things right off for a while to recover. I understand that I need to listen to my body but that doesn't stop me being disgusted with it :evil: . I've barely even got started on building up the miles and it's too much.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:28 am

How good is that bellthorpe climb! And in the middle of nowhere.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:47 pm

Best climb on the Northside IMHO.

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Yeah. It's a little hidden gem. Anyone done postmans track? Did a reccy up there today... Looks great too. The surface is a bit rough though.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:04 pm

I've driven postman's track but I've no intention of trying to ride it, the pitches leading up to each erosion hump looked ridiculous. Too short for my liking too.

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Yeah. It would be a grind and a half!
Anything else worth checking out, out that way LDR? I'm planning on having a crack at obi obi soon. How's that compare to Bellthorpe?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Similar scenery, similar length but significantly steeper, with standard cranks it's pretty much impossible unless you have a 32t on the back. If you take an appropriate gear it's good fun. Bear in mind the downhill side is virtually impassable on a road bike, even in a car it's quite hairy.

Maleny-Stanley River Rd is pretty good, and I really like the climb up to that road from Stanmore, though it's only short. There's a nice climb from Beerwah to Peachester and then you've got the usual suspects, Mt Mellum, Bald Knob and Razorback (which is incredibly hard, not quite as steep as Obi Obi but definitely steeper than Bellthorpe).

There's a good looking climb from Conondale to Witta, though I've only ridden it in the other direction.

If you don't mind dirt, Brandenburg Rd from Mooloolah to Bald Knob looks like a corker and there's an interesting looking road from Kidaman Creek near the bottom of Obi Obi, through Curramore to Witta. I haven't seen that in the flesh yet but Strava and Google Street View have got me keen.

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Did razorback yesterday. It's relentless.
Will have to check out some of the others. Let me know if you ever want company/someone to chase your wheel out that way. I love exploring the range. It's seriously brilliant riding!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Are you on Strava Jacob?

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:30 am

Naturally - http://app.strava.com/athletes/1022123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apologies for thread digression...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Now STRAVA stalking you :lol:

ldrcycles

Re: Every cloud has a silver lining.

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:44 pm

After what felt like a jolly long time off the bike to hopefully recharge the batteries, I was back on the road again this morning.

After a bit of umming and ahhing I went with the Mercier rather than the Oppy, just so I didn't have to carry any spares (27" tyres are flat-proof dontcha know :) ).

While there wasn't any rain about and the temperature was reasonable, the wind was CRAZY. At one point in the canefields between Coolum and Mt Ninderry I was out of the saddle pushing hard and only getting 21kmh! It was so strong I actually found it funny, rather than soul crushing as I usually do.

But I just kept pedalling along, knowing that eventually the road would turn north, and that howling, roaring wind would be in my favour.

That was at Marcoola, for one of my favourite segments 'Service station to Seaside', a dead flat 2.8km TT. I popped her into top gear coming out of the roundabout 150odd metres before the servo and let rip. By the end of the first straight I was on 57kmh and spinning like bejeesus! According to Sheldon's gear calculator the 52-14 with 27" wheels would have me doing 120rpm at that speed, but it felt a lot faster than that for ol' diesel here!

I kept up a 55-57kmh pace for about a kilometre and then started to fade, I really can't spin to save myself, but I kept pushing as hard as I could manage and ended up with 10th from 1770 at an average of 51.2kmh! I only wish I had taken the Oppy, who knows what I could have done with some longer gears.

ldrcycles

Re: The ultimate guide to Bellthorpe!

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:44 pm

It’s no secret that I quite like this climb, so I think it’s time to give it a proper description, blow by excruciating blow! Anything that has names like ‘The Great Wall of Bellthorpe’ or the ‘Col du Gabion’ (I came up with that one, I reckon it has a nice ring to it) deserves plenty of pictures :) .

Yesterday I parked at the intersection of Nonmus Rd and Kilcoy-Beerwah Rd, but that doesn’t really allow for a warmup, so for those on the Sunshine Coast I would recommend riding from either Peachester, or maybe Beerwah so you can enjoy the great downhill from Peachester on the way back. For Brisbanites Woodford would make a good starting point.

From the start of Nonmus Rd you go a kilometre or so, past the Woodlands poultry fram and when the road takes a turn to the left you are on Bellthorpe Range Rd (there is a big green sign to say as much so getting lost is pretty much impossible!).

Just after that turn you cross Running Creek, this is a great spot to refill your water bottles if you need to (or if you forgot to fill the bottle before leaving home :oops: ).

From the bridge you have another kilometre or two of rolling road, if you spot this sign, don’t be disturbed, you’re unlikely to see more than 1 or 2 cars and I haven’t had trouble from anyone yet.

After crossing a couple of little gullies keep an eye out for these signs on the left, and then get ready,

Because just a little further on at this little creek is the start of the climb.

It’s possible to hit this in the big ring but you’re likely to get bogged down, if you take it in the small ring you can keep the cadence up a little, remember this is a long climb by Sunshine Coast standards!

At the top of that first rise you will see this corner which leads into a downhill S bend, take the opportunity to pick up a little extra speed along here but don’t push too hard as the climbing starts again just around the next corner.

That rise leads you to this gate, which marks the point the climb starts to get really serious.

At this point I’m in the 39-26, and won’t be able to change any higher for a LONG time!
The climb from that gate to ‘The Great Wall’ is quite consistent, but has a couple of little variations that can allow the cadence up and down a bit, try to control that as any little acceleration will take away power that you will need later on.

There are 2 ridges to get around, this one a little way up from the white gate,

and this one around that corner (it’s hard to spot but the road goes off up to the right through the trees).

On rounding that corner The Great Wall will appear in front of you, don’t hurt your neck trying to take it in!

The grade after the first guardrailed corner picks up a bit and you will probably need your bottom gear from there to the hairpin.

The grade eases up a little between the hairpin and the 2nd corner afterwards, but then kicks up again so enjoy the rest and take in the views while you have a chance.

The rise up to the next hairpin is pretty tough, and by comparison the next section doesn't look as bad, but don’t be tempted to click up a gear as you will most likely blow up.

From the last guardrail above the 2nd hairpin it eases again before this ramp,

And after a little flat this next pinch marks the beginning of the end. You may just be able to make out the letterbox on the right, this is the first house since the white gate :shock: .

Now given the sky showing between the trees and the crest at the top of that rise you will probably be thinking the pain is over.
No.

“But Ldr” you say, “it’s going downhill!”

But that last rise is much easier than what you’ve just done, and is easily achievable in the big ring.

After that there is just this little downhill/flat to the white house and you’re done!!

In all, you’re looking at 4.7km at an average of 8.3%. From the top if you want a loop you take Campbells Rd/Gap Rd to Maleny or turn around and go back down.

Be aware, the descent needs A LOT OF CARE! I wouldn’t call it dangerous, as long as you take it easy it should be fine, but the grade demands a lot of very heavy braking, the road is a little rough in sections, the majority is coarse chip with the usual loose gravel and some of the corners are very tight.

My ride there yesterday morning went well, on my first run up it was clear doing 5k down the bottom wasn't enough of a warmup, and halfway up I needed to stop to adjust one of my cleats (still haven’t got it quite in the right spot) but still managed a reasonable time somehow.
After riding back down to the bottom I felt a lot better and then gave it a red hot go, managed to take a whole minute off my previous best, and moved up to 2nd and 3rd on the two Strava segments! I’m still well off my best so I think the KOM is achievable :-D.

I had intended to do at least 3 runs but the combination of waking up a little late, replacing my bald rear tyre, adjusting the cleat and taking all those photos on the 2nd run down had me short of time. The next time I’m out there I’ll give it a proper going over :D .

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:46 pm

And the last couple of photos,

Looking down towards Woodford from the top of Kilcoy-Beerwah Rd just on sunrise

And my Oppy resting against one of the gabion walls.

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:54 pm

Ah. It really is such a great climb.
Need to get out there again soon.

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:00 pm

P.s. finally got up the Obi Obi today. Took my steel bike with standard gearing, for a little extra challenge.

Seriously brilliant. Can't believe it took me so long to get up there. Dropped my chain on that last pinch (which is insanely steep)... so keen to get back there with something a bit lighter.

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:34 pm

ldrcycles wrote:After the success of last year's thread it's time for wannabe racing 2013 style!

For those just tuning in, i am 25 years old, MAD keen on old bikes (emphasis on mad) and a VERY keen, although so far wholly unsuccessful, racer.
Over the course of last year's thread i-
Got engaged (in 50s costume at a vintage bike show, now that was an experience!)
Rode 200kms for the first time
Rode 250kms for the first time
Lost 7kgs
Rode my first crit
Rode Bald Knob, Razorback, Kiel Mountain and Obi Obi in one ride
Rode from Canungra to O'Reilly's (the biggest climb in Queensland)
Reached my goal of 4,000 miles (6437k) and eventually reached 7,727kms
And started to develop muscly legs :) .

This year the goals are

20,000kms riding
150,000m of climbing
500km in one ride
Win at least one race
Get top 10 or better at the Noosa Century (yea yea i know "it's not a race" :lol: )
Do the Rainbow Ride down in northern NSW (events have conspired against it for the last 3 years)
Get under the 6 minute mark for Gyndier Drive at Tinbeerwah (current pb- 6:07)
Do the Tour de Tamborine climb in under 20 minutes (this year 21:35)
Do O'Reilly's again and do it in under an hour (current best 1:16)
Race the Grafton to Inverell
Finish ALL my restorations (wishful thinking but it's got to happen eventually!)

And get married!

The first 2 days of the year have just been rest, tomorrow morning i will be heading out with the Noosa bunch for the 75ish km Black Mountain-Boreen Point loop. And so it begins!
Congrats man! Must say that you've done well... i just started road riding in march and I'm loving it. Havent put goals or stuff in yet as I've got family and all that, but looking forward to actually joining a race out here in WA where I'm at~ Gonna lurk n read more of this thread. haha

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:00 pm

jacob_T wrote:P.s. finally got up the Obi Obi today. Took my steel bike with standard gearing, for a little extra challenge.

Seriously brilliant. Can't believe it took me so long to get up there. Dropped my chain on that last pinch (which is insanely steep)... so keen to get back there with something a bit lighter.
How standard is 'standard'? Don't tell me 39-25 :shock: . I'll be heading back to the Obi Obi sometime in the next few weeks but even with 39-28 i'm not confident of clearing it, that grade is nuts!

ldrcycles wrote: This year the goals are

20,000kms riding
150,000m of climbing
500km in one ride
Win at least one race
Get top 10 or better at the Noosa Century (yea yea i know "it's not a race" :lol: )
Do the Rainbow Ride down in northern NSW (events have conspired against it for the last 3 years)
Get under the 6 minute mark for Gyndier Drive at Tinbeerwah (current pb- 6:07)
Do the Tour de Tamborine climb in under 20 minutes (this year 21:35)
Do O'Reilly's again and do it in under an hour (current best 1:16)
Race the Grafton to Inverell
Finish ALL my restorations (wishful thinking but it's got to happen eventually!)

And get married!
Cheers ParkertR, and thanks for quoting that post, I have been meaning for a while to go through that and do a progress update.

So, the distance and altitude goals are WAAAY behind schedule thanks to all the wedding preparations, poor weather and illness but I should be able to get pretty close in the latter half of the year.

Haven't done the 500k ride yet, but it's on the horizon.

I've sort of won a race (well I didn't sort of win it, I won it by 15 minutes, but it wasn't an official race)

I managed 4th place at the Noosa Century, so well ahead of my top 10 goal :D .

The Rainbow Ride, Grafton-Inverell and Tour de Tamborine aren't for a while yet so nothing to report there.

I've made a lot of progress with restorations, by the time the Noosa Strade Bianche rolls around I should have finished just about all of them.

And I've been married for nearly 4 months now :D .

So the year is going along pretty damn well so far :D :D .

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:14 pm

[quote="ldrcycles"]
How standard is 'standard'? Don't tell me 39-25 :shock: . I'll be heading back to the Obi Obi sometime in the next few weeks but even with 39-28 i'm not confident of clearing it, that grade is nuts!

[quote="ldrcycles"]

Yeah, not quite standard, 39-27 today, got to the bottom and had a moment of "What have I done". But made it up. I'm keen to head back out there soon too. It's a very nice climb.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:29 pm

When you said standard on a old steel bike I thought you were talking 42x21

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:50 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:When you said standard on a old steel bike I thought you were talking 42x21
Jeez I only had 42x18 when I raced, ya all soft I tell ya. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:57 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:When you said standard on a old steel bike I thought you were talking 42x21

Foo

Big news everyone, scott and foo are racing each other up Bellthorpe with 52-42s and corncobs next weekend! :lol:

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Aha. Apologies. Should have specified... Standard (modern) crankset.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:56 am

ldrcycles wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo

Big news everyone, scott and foo are racing each other up Bellthorpe with 52-42s and corncobs next weekend! :lol:
:lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:20 am

ldrcycles wrote:I've sort of won a race (well I didn't sort of win it, I won it by 15 minutes, but it wasn't an official race)
Maaate, you beat a train, that just has to count :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower