Can I use a 6 speed cluster on a bike that had 5

Apollo3

Can I use a 6 speed cluster on a bike that had 5

Postby Apollo3 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:56 pm

My bike

It has a 5 speed cluster (freewheel) I'm wondering if a 6 speed cluster will screw on and then whether the Shimano 600 or Shimano Altus LT rear derailleur will function over 6 gears.

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Shi ... 00%29.html

ironhanglider

Re: Can I use a 6 speed cluster on a bike that had 5

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Yes and Yes.

The threads will be the same. If you can get the old cluster off, a new one will screw straight on.

I'd expect that the levers are friction so a deft touch and a good ear is all that is required to use them with more cogs.

The derailler can't count (except for Pozitron which don't count). :) The only deraillers that I have come across that didn't have enough range between the limit screws were really old.

From memory (not terribly reliable) whilst the 6spd clusters were wider than 5spd the 7spd were the same width as the 6spd. 7spd are usually easier to find too. 5spd clusters almost always sat a long way away from the frame, so the new one will simply sit a bit closer.

The only trap is that rarely, because the cogs are sitting closer to the frame than the originals, you can get fouling of the chain or cog on the frame, but this is also dependant on the size of the smallest cog. (it is more common with 8 - 10 spd cassettes in an old frame)

Cheers,

Cameron

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:25 pm

Yes and no. See here

edit: the derailleur should be fine though.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Apollo3

Postby Apollo3 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks for the replies.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:47 pm

By the way I'm pretty sure the Apollo III were from the 80's. I'd put money on them having a 126mm OLD spacing as standard.

Cheers,

Cameron

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:32 pm

FWIW, you won't know until you put it on most likely.

On one of my restos, I was asked to source a particular Regina rear "corn-cob" cluster which I could get NOS in 6 speed or used in 5 speed. Opted for the 6 speed, but I couldn't get the chain to climb onto the smallest without fouling the stay so I just left the limit stop on the second smallest.

Bet the guy I built it for never even notices. 8)

And I kept an extra chain & cluster for myself.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.