eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

frailer5

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby frailer5 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:03 pm

TedDancin wrote:I know this isn't really retro, but it is steel, and is probably the most offensive thing I've come across while browsing the classifieds. Makes Reid's look like works of art. Check out the weight.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/parramat ... 1022322869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B-b-but it's got 'peddles'. :D Well, we know what they're peddling. Offensive indeed.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:51 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Seriously how do you get something so basic to weigh that much? I've had bikes with steel rims that were lighter.
16.5 kilos, that's rocking on 35 lbs in the old money! I have a fully steel equipped 3 speed 1940's Super Elliott that weighs in at circa 26lbs, a 1930's Speedwell Club Racer with 28" narrow Westwood steel rims and steel everything else at 28-29 odd lbs... :shock:
What do they use, lead seatposts or cobalt handlebars?

Mind boggling...
Richard

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:23 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
TedDancin wrote:I know this isn't really retro, but it is steel, and is probably the most offensive thing I've come across while browsing the classifieds. Makes Reid's look like works of art. Check out the weight.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/parramat ... 1022322869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd love to see them ride their own product. As is.
The whole thing's a "leaver", not just parts of the brakes.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:26 am

View item
Pretty little thing, and in good nick. I like that Peugeot stuck to the European manufacturers long after it was sensible to do so. Stronglight cranks and Sachs Huret derailleurs on a mid 80s machine, probably Mafac canti's as well.

frog

Postby frog » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:29 am

That is just loverly! i will have to repost it in the pug thread. If that were any closer to me I would be in some real trouble.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:34 am

LugNut wrote:View item
Pretty little thing, and in good nick. I like that Peugeot stuck to the European manufacturers long after it was sensible to do so. Stronglight cranks and Sachs Huret derailleurs on a mid 80s machine, probably Mafac canti's as well.
Hmm, I think you are at least half a decade early with that statement. Pre-indexing the European gear was at least the equal of anything the Japanese could turn out, often better in some areas. Their main problem was crappy management and keeping bulk sale costs down to a level where they could compete with Suntour/Shimano selling mass components to bike manufacturers. Most non-racing cyclists in the UK didn't bother with indexing til the early/mid 90's, it was just an expensive toy for tech-heads and racers- why did you need it?
Shimano took the mass-market by storm when they pushed reliable indexing and brifters downmarket to their lower end kit. The European firms management had no development plan, no investment and thus mostly keeled over...(excluding Campag whose rusted on support kept them going thru all the crap they produced in the 80's/early 90's until they got there indexing act together later in the 90's!)

toumbhar10

Postby toumbhar10 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:40 am

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaide ... 1022246483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

V. Badass Daccordi TT.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:54 am

WyvernRH wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Seriously how do you get something so basic to weigh that much? I've had bikes with steel rims that were lighter.
16.5 kilos, that's rocking on 35 lbs in the old money! I have a fully steel equipped 3 speed 1940's Super Elliott that weighs in at circa 26lbs, a 1930's Speedwell Club Racer with 28" narrow Westwood steel rims and steel everything else at 28-29 odd lbs... :shock:
What do they use, lead seatposts or cobalt handlebars?

Mind boggling...
Richard
16.5 kg is probably what is says on the box. Take off say 4kg of box and try again maybe?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:15 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
LugNut wrote:View item
Hmm, I think you are at least half a decade early with that statement. Pre-indexing the European gear was at least the equal of anything the Japanese could turn out, often better in some areas. Their main problem was crappy management and keeping bulk sale costs down to a level where they could compete with Suntour/Shimano selling mass components to bike manufacturers. Most non-racing cyclists in the UK didn't bother with indexing til the early/mid 90's, it was just an expensive toy for tech-heads and racers- why did you need it?
Shimano took the mass-market by storm when they pushed reliable indexing and brifters downmarket to their lower end kit. The European firms management had no development plan, no investment and thus mostly keeled over...(excluding Campag whose rusted on support kept them going thru all the crap they produced in the 80's/early 90's until they got there indexing act together later in the 90's!)
Thanks for the fill in, I assumed Shimano/Suntour had well and truly killed them by the time indexing came about. If there are any prospective buyers, I didn't notice the first time around that it looks like the DT and ST have been re brazed to the bottom bracket...

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:34 pm

It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:03 pm

LugNut wrote: If there are any prospective buyers, I didn't notice the first time around that it looks like the DT and ST have been re brazed to the bottom bracket...
Oh yes, I see what you mean. However looking at it I would have expected the bike to have lost a lot more paint if someone had been in there with a torch :?
Maybe just a crapo paint job lifting off where they didn't clean off the flux properly when the frame was built?
Cheers
Richard

cray-

Postby cray- » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:02 pm

"VINTAGE TRACK ROAD FUNNY BIKE HANDCRAFTED CAMPAGNOLO RENOYLDS SHIMANO FIXIE RARE"
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-TRAC ... 2ec8c77cff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ignoring the keyword title spam, it's pretty badass if not super retro.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:44 pm

cray- wrote:Ignoring the keyword title spam, it's pretty badass if not super retro.
He forgot the latest keyword; "L'EROICA" ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:35 pm

My picks of the Gumtree week:
It's sell your Japanese bike week in Melbourne!
$150 Shogun Alpine GT in need of an overhaul. Cheap nice frame to put spare parts on for somebody.

Panasonic Team Bike, shame about the price.

Small Shogun Samurai triple triangle, slightly pricey but nice. Are those gold ano cranks?

55CM square Vitesse Roadbike With Suntour ARX.

Unmarked higher end Apollo with Drillium triple Sugino cranks (whaa?)

6' 7" indeed

12' 7" indeed

ACT

quality Spokesman mixtie with Stronglight cranks and a nice paint job.

And over in Western Australia, it's punters paradise with a few risky-but-might-just-pay-off deals:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bunbury-6230/bicycles/touring-bikes/1021973289 $90 touring bike.

Cheap Nishiki with no size or pictures.

And in NSW, another risky buys for punters
Possible Fuji Touring in unknown size (unless you trust somebody who doesn't know anything about the bike to size it for you), unknown vintage, but they have always been quite nice.

$250 Hillman 531 Track frame in Panasonic colours.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:41 pm

cray- wrote:"VINTAGE TRACK ROAD FUNNY BIKE HANDCRAFTED CAMPAGNOLO RENOYLDS SHIMANO FIXIE RARE"
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-TRAC ... 2ec8c77cff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keyword spamming means using unrelated words (which drives me insane), but these all relate to the bike, although some moreso than others admittedly.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:42 pm

With regard to that Shogun Alpine GT, apparently it is stolen:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-kilda ... 1021613462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:13 pm

LugNut wrote:My picks

Panasonic Team Bike, shame about the price.

Small Shogun Samurai triple triangle, slightly pricey but nice. Are those gold ano cranks?

6' 7" indeed

12' 7" indeed
The price on that Panasonic is ludicrous, sure they're not everywhere but they're not $1,700 rare.

I think the cranks on the Shogun are just normal alu, looks like the camera angle/lighting giving it that gold tinge.

I've seen the big Apollo before, I just want to know where the auction was held where the bloke paid $400 for the bike so I can send some of my bikes there! :lol:

And as for that yellow monstrosity in SA.... :shock:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:30 pm

LugNut wrote:With regard to that Shogun Alpine GT, apparently it is stolen:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-kilda ... 1021613462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shame they couldn't take a deep breath and actually explain things a bit better. Achieved the desired effect, though, I guess. :|
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:22 am

grantw wrote:Looks like a tange frame with a full group of Golden arrow for a reasonable price
If it doesnt start going up in price soon I will be ringing a mate in Brisbane and calling in a favour....
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:34 am

im_no_pro wrote:
grantw wrote:Looks like a tange frame with a full group of Golden arrow for a reasonable price
If it doesnt start going up in price soon I will be ringing a mate in Brisbane and calling in a favour....
Maaaate... those original alloy pie plates are like gold dust! :D
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:21 am

Raleigh folders near Brisbane

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cabooltu ... 1022353713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Long day's journey into alt-bars

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:04 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
cray- wrote:"VINTAGE TRACK ROAD FUNNY BIKE HANDCRAFTED CAMPAGNOLO RENOYLDS SHIMANO FIXIE RARE"

Keyword spamming means using unrelated words (which drives me insane), but these all relate to the bike, although some moreso than others admittedly.
Even Track and Fixie?

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:58 pm

We could also get into a debate about whether early 90s and tri bars are 'vintage' :twisted: Shameless I say, I feel wrong including the word 'vintage' in the title of something that really is 'vintage'.

And the capitals really aren't helping his cause.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Ricardo ??
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171063917319 ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When in doubt......mumble.

xerlex

Postby xerlex » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:12 am

This was picked up of gumtree a while back for $250. I'm sure of it.