New Event - Sydney to Newcastle Cycle Challange (Feb 2014)

AndyTheMan

New Event - Sydney to Newcastle Cycle Challange (Feb 2014)

Postby AndyTheMan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:17 pm

I just found out about this!!

27 June 2013: Bicycle Network today announced an exciting new bike ride from Sydney to Newcastle. The ride will be held for the first time on Sunday 16 February 2014.

It is set to grow into one of Australia’s premier bike rides, attracting thousands of riders. The 170km ride is a challenge event, not a race and will be open to anyone who can tackle the distance and the hills.

Chief Executive Officer Craig Richards explained why Sydney to Newcastle is the latest addition to Bicycle Network’s existing suite of challenge rides: the iconic Bupa Around the Bay and the internationally acclaimed SCODY 3 Peaks Challenge.

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/gener ... des/95094/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JohnJoyner

Re: New Event - Sydney to Newcastle Cycle Challange (Feb 201

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Sounds interesting.

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:58 pm

BNV create an event in NSW. Is it because BNSW are a bunch of hopeless jokes?
2010 BMC SLC01

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:10 pm

it's not an event if you can track your speed year on year.....sounds like a race to me.

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:32 pm

Judging by the distance, they are going the boring route via the Central Coast Hwy though.

Much more entertaining going via Peats Ridge -> Kulura -> Wollombi -> Cessnock, but a bit more Roo-baix (crap pun intended) than most might like though.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:40 pm

simonn wrote: Much more entertaining going via Peats Ridge -> Kulura -> Wollombi -> Cessnock, but a bit more Roo-baix (crap pun intended) than most might like though.
that road is dangerous for riding I reckon, very thin and given the motorbike riders love it I reckon you would be putting your life into the hands of others

but it would be a pretty ride

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:54 pm

gretaboy wrote:
simonn wrote: Much more entertaining going via Peats Ridge -> Kulura -> Wollombi -> Cessnock, but a bit more Roo-baix (crap pun intended) than most might like though.
that road is dangerous for riding I reckon, very thin and given the motorbike riders love it I reckon you would be putting your life into the hands of others

but it would be a pretty ride
Interestingly, the lat couple of times I rode to Nelson Bay, I chose to go via Wollombi to avoid the Central Coast for putting my life in the hands of others reason. In my experience (whatever that means), it is a lot quieter from the dangerous noisy and smelly two wheelers :P perspective than the Old Pacific Hwy (and from MVs in general). I've never found it particularly threatening.