Oppy Owners Club

ldrcycles

Re: Oppy Owners Club

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:06 pm

Nice, i actually had the choice of 2 frames, the C7 or an Oppy Team like yours but the ISP put me off and i like red :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Ok i've done some tapping on the calculator, i've got 5500 105 shifters and RD, Campagnolo Veloce FD, 1055 brakes, selle smp saddle, RS80 C24 wheels, 4600 Tiagra cranks, Maxxis Refuse tires etc.

So without pedals, bottles or cables (cos i couldn't be bothered looking up cable weights as well!), 7947g. About 2kg lighter than my Scott Speedster with the Shimano R500 wheels. I'm more interested in a better ride, hopefully stiffer but without the harsh buzz of the Scott.

AJ_

Postby AJ_ » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Chuck wrote:
drubie wrote:I reckon the oppy range looks the goods, but they could really benefit from sponsoring a team in the national road series to give 'em a bit more credibility. Overall they'd get a fair bit of goodwill / racing cred for the annual cost of 20 or so bikes. If I was in the market for a new bike I'd definitely have an oppy on the shortlist.
+1 to all points drubster if I may :P
OMGosh, Genesys Wealth Advisers Cycling Team, are sponored by MS. Last year riders such as Nathan Haas and Steele Van Hoff (who are now pro riders for Garmin) dominated the NRS on Oppy's. Steele actually road his Oppy in the TDU this year for UniSA. He personally told me at the TDU he loves it. At the time he had just switch to cervelo cause of his new team. His cervelo was having issues's so he went to his old Faithful Oppy. True story!

Also take a look at who are NRS road series champions again? You will soon see it was Genesys Wealth Advisers Cycling Team, and as mentioned are sponsored by MS and ride Oppy's.

Cheers,

AJ

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:23 am

Something a little different here...a TT7. I too love it and the run out price was even better. You know you like your bike when you don't look longingly at others. :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:18 pm

Just came across this thread again and realised I never got around to posting a photo of my completed oppy. This was when I first built it, I absolutely hated the 44cm anatomic bars I originally used (they were just what I happened to have on hand) but I was able to get some FSA carbon bars in a compact bend a little while later and it feels perfect now, and looks great.
Nearly 3,500km on her so far, and the longest ride was 260k :) .

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:25 am

Dimma wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Just stripped mine to weigh the various bits,

Frame: 1140g (Medium, 56cm top tube, including headset cups)
Forks: 454g (including crown bearing race)

Was cool to see the little cable guide housings inside the headtube when i opened it up :) .

Hoping to have it all together before Christmas.
So a 105 build should come in (AT) around 8kg?
Same frame just 2011 paint.

I thought I should chime in... I purchased Dimma's old OPPY last year and have since added Carbon Bars, Carbon Seat post, Carbon seat and a set of Matrix T38 Carbon Tubs - great ride 8) she's dropped into the 7kg bracket

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:59 am

So many great memories!

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:45 pm

My sons Oppy. 56cm with Ultegra.
Short story is I bought a C7 two years ago and found a crack in the paint, head office did an immediate warranty replacement for us. Didn't have a C7 in stock so they upgraded us to a Team issue.
They are great people. Good old fashioned customer service like you never get anywhere these days.
My dad and his brothers were kinda famous cyclists in the late 40's and 50's and rode Malvern Stars. My uncle was in the Malvern Star team of 1954, it was Hec Sutherland, Eddie Smith and Reg Arnold (my uncle). Genesys completed a clean sweep of Australian races in 2011, but in 1954 the MS team won every race on the calendar bar the Warrnambool where the scratch group crashed out. They won the Sun Tour, Tour of Tasmania, Tour of the West, Sydney to Melbourne Tour, Melbourne to Wangaratta, tour of Echucha, Advertiser tour of SA, Goulburn to Sydney ... total domination!
Hey Im proud to follow in the family tradition. Im a loyal Malvern Star man. Plus they are a brilliant bike, my son (17) said he wants to keep this one FOREVER.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:47 pm

I am considering an Oppy A1 because, not being a racer, I don't want to spend a fortune and I like the gearing range. My current bike is a MS Sportstar with a 12 speed setup, 38-52 & 13-34 but the cluster is tight at the small end with a big jump to 34 (granny gear). So the A1 offers a similar low low and a slightly higher top gear, similar range overall but much closer gearing through the whole range which is the main advantage apart form the 6 kg less weight of course. For me, not being all that athletic and not training for racing, only exercise for general health, the crawler gear is really helping with longer steep hills. I can do them at a sustainable speed and I think having a close progression in the low end will assist improvement whereas at the moment, it's just too big a gap to bridge. I suppose I could customise gearing on any bike but it's all standard with the A1. I don't see any real advantage to the other Oppys in that "Sport Road" range, is there?

Giant seem a lot more popular here and offer a darn good frame warranty but I don't see the gearing range in them as standard.

I am just not sure as my old clunker proved itself a real rolling machine in the B2B this year, so it seems the main problem is the current engine.

Ken
Last edited by kenwstr on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:53 pm

rkelsen wrote:
drubie wrote:
rkelsen wrote: He may have been a great cyclist, but learning about the things he did while he was Immigration Minister for the Menzies government has caused me to lose all the respect I had for him previously. :(
The past is a different country rkelson - both major parties had despicable immigration policies back then.
Yes they did, but that doesn't change things for me. I wouldn't buy a "Gorton" bike either.
Like he said, everyone thought that way back then. You can't judge what they did then by your values and experiences today. Just as what you do today should not be judged in 50 or so years' time. And let's be honest, I imagine there are things you do which are acceptable to you but which others would find disgraceful even today.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:33 pm

rkelsen wrote:
drubie wrote:
rkelsen wrote: He may have been a great cyclist, but learning about the things he did while he was Immigration Minister for the Menzies government has caused me to lose all the respect I had for him previously. :(
The past is a different country rkelson - both major parties had despicable immigration policies back then.
Yes they did, but that doesn't change things for me. I wouldn't buy a "Gorton" bike either.
I think it's safe to say that being a cyclist is no particular indicator of anything else much ... either positive or negative, depending on your point of view. I think it's also safe to say that if you oppose someone or something, then you will be able to rationalise your position some way or other.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:52 pm

kenwstr wrote:I am considering an Oppy A1
They're good bikes, I know a few people who have aluminium Oppys and they're all happy with them. I'd say the reason you see more Giants about is just that there are more Giant dealers.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:40 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
kenwstr wrote:I am considering an Oppy A1
They're good bikes, I know a few people who have aluminium Oppys and they're all happy with them. I'd say the reason you see more Giants about is just that there are more Giant dealers.

I'm rolling on my 2012 Oppy A4 and it's still going strong although the Tiagra parts are wearing out from actual use and the plan is to upgrade them to 105. Love my bike
2012 Oppy A4

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:03 pm

Good plan, I switched from Tiagra to 105 when I built up my Oppy and 105 is a big improvement. The shifting is much smoother and more crisp, and hasn't needed as much adjustment (not that the Tiagra needed much).

AKO

Postby AKO » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:00 pm

This is my 2012 C5 the day I picked it up. It has since been updated with a black Selle SMP Dynamic saddle and a black stem. The original Conti tyres were rubbish and it now rolls around on Maxxis Refuse. I've done nearly 3000 klms on it and love it.

Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:18 pm

I've changed a few things lately. Still really happy with it.

Jim

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Well I'm a member now, picked up a very reasonably-priced Oppy C6 this afternoon. I'm A little over 6'1" but the XL seemed a better fit than the L. Anyone else found the same? I have longish legs for my height.

Looking forward to doing some serious road biking - and on a Malvern Star! 8)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:25 am

I'm 6'2 and on a M frame! But I need a short reach, my lower back hurts if I have to stretch out too much.

A pic of my Oppy on Bellthorpe Range Rd aka The Great Wall of Bellthorpe.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Sadly I have left the club. I did approximately 18,000kms over 2.5 years of daily commuting on my Oppy C5. I loved it, but since getting my velomobile, I had not ridden it in almost a year.

So I made the hard decision to sell it. :-(

I cleaned it up last weekend, pumped the tyres, and rode it in to work one last time this week. I really enjoyed it, particularly the way it climbs. Compared to my 30kg velomobile, the Oppy just glides up the hills.

If I ever buy another road bike down the track, the Oppy will certainly be on my list again. Maybe a C6 next time ...

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:16 pm

This is my 2011(I think!) C6. I saw the colour scheme and wanted one!! After watching good old Ebay, a frame in my size came up, and the rest is history :D

I wanted to build it light and wanted to use Di2, after lots of website prowling and research, I ended up with 3T Ltd Bars, Stem and Seatpost, DA9000 52-36 crankset and BB, Ultegra 10sp Di2 Levers and Derailleurs, DA7900 Chain and Cassette, DA9000 Pedals, RS80 Wheels and DA9000 brakes. All up with pedals weighs 7.2kg.

Its been on the road for 2 months now with 2000km up and its awsome!! Im hoping to do my first crit racing soon on it :P

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm 6'1" and have found the XL frame to be a comfortable fit.

I have a 2010 C6 I bought in January 2011 as a run out special.

31000km and still going strong. Although the owner of my LBS keeps telling me that the frame will break "at anytime".

andione1983

Postby andione1983 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:57 pm

R12RT wrote:I'm 6'1" and have found the XL frame to be a comfortable fit.

31000km and still going strong. Although the owner of my LBS keeps telling me that the frame will break "at anytime".
far out... Reliable bike so why would it break at any time? Do carbon frames fatigue

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
Road Bike - Giant Advanced Defy 2 (2018)
MTB - Boardman Team Pro (2013)

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:04 pm

R12RT wrote:I'm 6'1" and have found the XL frame to be a comfortable fit.

This is good to hear! Everything I read says that I should be an L but my legs just felt too bunched up. After shelling out for it I have been worrying that I made a mistake somewhere, only thing I might do is change for a shorter stem. Rode for an hour and a bit today and only had a slightly stiff back- but this is my first road bike so I was expecting a bit of adjustment. Loving the look. My mum grew up in Melbourne and informs me it's pronounced Mulvern. :roll:

vex33d

Postby vex33d » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:20 pm

It's great to hear of others experience's with the Oppy range.

I'm the proud owner of a 2010 C5.

Some minor changes over standard:
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL wheelset
Continental GP4000 tyres
Ritchey Carbon Pro seat post
Zero Zelix Pro saddle
Zero Attack 90mm stem
and changed the white bar tape and saddle for black

Overall I love my Oppy!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Looks good, i'm really keen to get some deep dish wheels on my Oppy.