Overshoes - Recommendations/Reviews Please

twizzle

Re: Overshoes - Recommendations/Reviews Please

Postby twizzle » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:10 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:I wouldn't recommend BBB overshoes as they just fall to bits after a few months
I've had my BBB waterflex for years and still going strong
My waterflex have started cracking in the neoprene after about five years. Pretty good life IMHO, especially compared to some more expensive ones (brand forgotten) that started falling apart within months.

But... if it's raining, you get wet feet. A full length front-mudguard is far more important than the effectiveness of the shoe covers, I consider the covers just to be a good way of stopping the dirt getting into the shoes.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:13 pm

twizzle wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:I wouldn't recommend BBB overshoes as they just fall to bits after a few months
I've had my BBB waterflex for years and still going strong
My waterflex have started cracking in the neoprene after about five years. Pretty good life IMHO, especially compared to some more expensive ones (brand forgotten) that started falling apart within months.

But... if it's raining, you get wet feet. A full length front-mudguard is far more important than the effectiveness of the shoe covers, I consider the covers just to be a good way of stopping the dirt getting into the shoes.
Or on the shoes. My cycling shoes were a lovely pearly white until they got stuck in a deluge without overshoes. Now the non-leather bits are a 'lovely' shade of grey. :roll:

boss

Postby boss » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:42 pm

warthog1 wrote:
boss wrote:I had a bit of an experience trying to find a decent set of in-stock, waterproof(ish) overshoes that don't cheap and nasty.

Ended up with Shimano Tarmac H20 ones, they weren't too expensive (AU$35-ish) and they look ok in black.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himzosh205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as the wet feet discussion goes, they will keep you dry in rain of pretty much any type, what you have to watch out for is large puddles and the spray that comes off your front wheel. The only time I have soaked my foot through (sloshin around style) was riding up a hill that had a 3-5mm of water consistently across the entire road, and was acting pretty much as a river.

The Shimano overshoes remain windproof when wet your feet do get sweaty or wet, they don't go freezing cold from the wind.
They look really good Boss, thanks for the review. I'm currently using tt aero covers or the t7 neoprene covers for extra cold days. Those shimano look better.
How stretchy are they? I'm a size 45 shoe and should be XL according to Ribble. Do you think a L would stretch one extra size for a more snug fit?
I've got size 44 shoes (Shimano - can't remember the model but they're pretty basic) and the L is tight. I think it'd be a bit of a gamble trying to stretch the L over a 45... you might be able to do it, but I think that's a decision you'll have to make!

The black ones look good and inoffensive teamed with almost any kit. The white ones are very euro and I think only certain people could pull them off. I have a friend who bought some, his first thoughts were 'too euro' but I'm not sure if he's changed his mind... he lurks around here and may chime in with his opinion if he sees the thread.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:29 pm

boss wrote:

I've got size 44 shoes (Shimano - can't remember the model but they're pretty basic) and the L is tight. I think it'd be a bit of a gamble trying to stretch the L over a 45... you might be able to do it, but I think that's a decision you'll have to make!

The black ones look good and inoffensive teamed with almost any kit. The white ones are very euro and I think only certain people could pull them off. I have a friend who bought some, his first thoughts were 'too euro' but I'm not sure if he's changed his mind... he lurks around here and may chime in with his opinion if he sees the thread.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm using the castelli ones that are designed for aerodynamics. Looking at them I can't see the model on them. The are some sort of stretchy material with a thin coating and they have have a gripper in the ankle.

While I brought them for racing I'm finding that they are much better at keeping my feet dry than traditional overshoes, I suspect that's due to the tight fit.

I suspect they will have a short life, I'll figure out what model they are and buy another pair

---------------------
Edit
---------------------
Castelli Nano
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

jzr

Postby jzr » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:19 pm

boss wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
boss wrote:I had a bit of an experience trying to find a decent set of in-stock, waterproof(ish) overshoes that don't cheap and nasty.

Ended up with Shimano Tarmac H20 ones, they weren't too expensive (AU$35-ish) and they look ok in black.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himzosh205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as the wet feet discussion goes, they will keep you dry in rain of pretty much any type, what you have to watch out for is large puddles and the spray that comes off your front wheel. The only time I have soaked my foot through (sloshin around style) was riding up a hill that had a 3-5mm of water consistently across the entire road, and was acting pretty much as a river.

The Shimano overshoes remain windproof when wet your feet do get sweaty or wet, they don't go freezing cold from the wind.
They look really good Boss, thanks for the review. I'm currently using tt aero covers or the t7 neoprene covers for extra cold days. Those shimano look better.
How stretchy are they? I'm a size 45 shoe and should be XL according to Ribble. Do you think a L would stretch one extra size for a more snug fit?

Yup, that sounds like my queue.

I too have the L and I wear a size 43 Shimano shoe. I find them snug to get on so I tend to agree that it would be a real push to get them over a size 45. There is a nice reinforced toe piece (kevlar I think?) and a nice flocked lining for added warmth. I've not yet used mine in the wet but have used them in the 4-5 degree range on a descent and where a pair of 'Belgian booties' I have left me shivering in similar conditions, the Shimano's kept my feet nice and toasty. I have some sort of circulation issue as my feet are ALWAYS cold, riding/not-riding whatever my feet are always cold but with these bad boys I actually felt comfortable.

The only thing that annoys me about them, is I bought them as they have both a zip and a velcro strap to close them up on your calf but for me, the velcro attachment doesn't really stretch around enough to get a nice snug fit so if it came down to it, I'd contemplate duct tape for a truly secure fit.

And yes, the white ones are very Euro flair but I've warmed to them and they keep you nice and visible in the dark!

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:13 pm

There are overshoes very similar to the T7 ones in stock here.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:21 pm

jzr wrote:
Yup, that sounds like my queue.

I too have the L and I wear a size 43 Shimano shoe. I find them snug to get on so I tend to agree that it would be a real push to get them over a size 45. There is a nice reinforced toe piece (kevlar I think?) and a nice flocked lining for added warmth. I've not yet used mine in the wet but have used them in the 4-5 degree range on a descent and where a pair of 'Belgian booties' I have left me shivering in similar conditions, the Shimano's kept my feet nice and toasty. I have some sort of circulation issue as my feet are ALWAYS cold, riding/not-riding whatever my feet are always cold but with these bad boys I actually felt comfortable.

The only thing that annoys me about them, is I bought them as they have both a zip and a velcro strap to close them up on your calf but for me, the velcro attachment doesn't really stretch around enough to get a nice snug fit so if it came down to it, I'd contemplate duct tape for a truly secure fit.

And yes, the white ones are very Euro flair but I've warmed to them and they keep you nice and visible in the dark!
Thanks for that, :) will need to be XL by the sound then.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

snortin

Postby snortin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:34 am

OK, so took the plunge and got some Sportful wet lite overshoes. Reason being they got some OK reviews at Wiggle (plus a few saying they wore out quickly), and they were in stock at Probikekit when I was getting some new Ultremo ZX at $30 each....Cost $35

http://www.this link is broken/sportful-wet-lite-oveshoes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Initial impressions are that they are quite fragile but pretty stretchy. They fit over my sidi size 44 well (i got the large size). I will have to be careful putting them on to make sure i don't rip a hole in the silicone covered lycra with the shoe straps and ratchet (probably the reason some reviews said they wore out quickly).....
The hole at the bottom fits the speedplay cleat well. They shouldn't wear through at the bottom due to contact with the ground as they also have a hole for the heel piece.
They are a shiny black with some good reflective bits (maybe they might even knock a few seconds off the commute due to aero improvements!!!).

will provide an update on waterproofness once we get some of the forecast rain in Sydney over the next few days...That said, I am not too worried about them keeping me perfectly dry.

edited to add size purchased

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:07 am

I'm quite happy with my Castenilli nano overshoes. These ones: http://www.this link is broken/castelli-nano-w ... overshoes/. I suspect they will have a short life so I'm thinking of getting another pair.

Any similar product I should look at first? Or somewhere else with a better price?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

snortin

Postby snortin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 am

The sportful wet-lite that i got a short time ago is basically exactly the same product. Silicone coated lycra construction. It has worked well in the current sydney weather - although i have been lucky to have missed the heavy downpours. The waterproofness has been adequate for the light rain and road spray. The inner material sticks to velcro and catches sometimes on other shoe fastenings. I expect that the product will last about 1 year.
Pros - easy to stretch over shoes
Cons - not as durable/warm/waterproof as covered neoprene, no fastening to stop zip coming down during riding

I think my next purchase will be a pair of these http://www.this link is broken/dhb-neoprene-nylon-overshoe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pros - more waterproof/durable
Cons - a little harder to get over shoes (could lead to tearing of material and failure of zip - which is what happened to a previous pair)

in summary, i think i prefer the neoprene (under the proviso that the zips hold up!!)

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:51 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Or somewhere else with a better price?
Not at the moment, as long as you like silver and your feet are not medium (41 to 42) Wiggle is the cheapest, discounting them, just bought a pair myself.

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:45 am

I got seriously down-poured this morning. My SPD shoes were soaked. The water spinning from the wheel came right into the toe breather mesh and the other rain came into the show via the water running down my legs. I could literally feel the water shloshing in my shoes.
Can anyone recommend a non fragile, proper shoe protector that will prevent this? If not I may just go with the cling wrap :P
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:02 pm

Probably not a big deal for a 15 minute commute, but don't go too thick with them. I've got both the PRO blaze overshoes (2mm thick neoprene) which can get too warm, even in Canberra winters. Since got PRO tarmac H20 (thinner, but still wind/waterproof), which I use more often (above freezing point)

alexander

Postby alexander » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:03 pm

the trick to not getting water in your shoes is stopping the water coming in from the cuff and also from underneath, as well as the overshoes themselves. But understand, nothing, if given enough time will remain 100% waterproof. So being warm and relatively dry is your best bet, as you will get wet.

It starts at the body, no water down the neck, back or legs means it wont trickle into the shoe. So waterproof helmet cover/hood/hat and then a waterproof jacket (the pros swear by the castelli gabba). Also look at either waterproof or neoprene gloves for your hands.

Then for example, castelli nanoflex tights are good at stopping mild to decent rain from getting in, if you then put the cuffs of the tights over the overshoes then water shouldn't get in the overshoes. Some people use sealskinz socks to stop water getting to your feet but there are some varied reports, YMMV.

As far as underneath water entry is concerned, plastic bags and tape can cover entry parts on your shoes, keeping mind your feet wont be able to breath, so they might get wet from sweat on the inside. Failing that, true waterproof or winter shoes can help.

http://road.cc/content/review/104965-no ... -gtx-shoes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here's some light reading, about waterproof gear and overshoe reccomendations:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... -overshoes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/gear/articl ... oes-35721/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/788 ... g-clothing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/gear/articl ... ing-35713/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... ing-36023/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/672 ... essentials" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:36 pm

thanx guys, I'm on a tight budget here, a castelli gabba is $200+. I dont mind getting wet, I want to ride in the rain, wet is ok. My biggest preference right now is to protect my shoes and feet. I guess I will just try some of the cheapy shoe cover thingies for now. I will post my budget solution once I have something that works, in case anyone needs it for the future.
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:38 pm

I use BBB Heavy Duty OSS Shoe Covers although more to keep the cold out when it gets below zero.
On the very few occasions that I have ridden in the rain they have kept my shoes dry although I dont worry about getting wet its more keeping the shoes clean...the red dirt and rain makes a mess.
With rain forecast in Brisbane this weekend I might actually take them home, havent used them since last winter
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:34 pm

yeah I dont mind the cold too much, its really the wet shloshy shoes that make it unpleasant. I see these are mainly for cold. I can be wet everywhere else I dont mind. I was drenched this morning 22km in that soaking rain. I was soaking just 600m after setting off lol. Anyone found any good gaiters maybe?
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:02 pm

cancan64 wrote:I use BBB Heavy Duty OSS Shoe Covers...
They have S, M, L etc. sizing, what size shoe are you and what size did you buy? c r c have free shipping on these at the mo...

alexander

Postby alexander » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:27 pm

dudleygb wrote:yeah I dont mind the cold too much, its really the wet shloshy shoes that make it unpleasant. I see these are mainly for cold. I can be wet everywhere else I dont mind. I was drenched this morning 22km in that soaking rain. I was soaking just 600m after setting off lol. Anyone found any good gaiters maybe?
but water still gets in the cuffs at the tops of the gaiters, and soaks/runs down into the shoes underneath the gaiters? Overlapping the object above with the one below is the best the way to remain dry. Think of it like tiles on your roof, the tile on the top overlaps the one underneath so the water continues down the proper way on the outside.

If water off the road coming up from wheel spray is an issue get some mudguards.

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:28 pm

water is coming off everywhere, hard to tell, theres water spraying all over the place. I got a front mudguard, just a BBB cheapy, seems ok but I still get spray in the face. I will have to try another. In the mean time I will use some cling wrap and tape it around my calf and over the top of my shoe.......a roll of cling wrap is about $5 and tape about $3. Will see how it goes.
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:42 pm

TonyMax wrote:
cancan64 wrote:I use BBB Heavy Duty OSS Shoe Covers...
They have S, M, L etc. sizing, what size shoe are you and what size did you buy? c r c have free shipping on these at the mo...

My shoes are eu44 and I purchased a lg shoe cover.. fits well.. Paid $22 from wiggle last May.. that is going by the sizing chart.. I can check actual size when I finish work tonight and will post if different

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

alexander

Postby alexander » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:58 pm

dudleygb wrote:water is coming off everywhere, hard to tell, theres water spraying all over the place. I got a front mudguard, just a BBB cheapy, seems ok but I still get spray in the face. I will have to try another. In the mean time I will use some cling wrap and tape it around my calf and over the top of my shoe.......a roll of cling wrap is about $5 and tape about $3. Will see how it goes.
sounds like they aren't long enough. sks mudguards, raceblades or longboards, end of story.

http://www.sks-germany.com/?l=en&a=prod ... 4933638533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/7CW ... ene-bootie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dudleygb

Postby dudleygb » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:48 pm

Think they should be fine, I've done some serious research into all the different brands.
I'm still waiting for my latest ones to be delivered, but I read these are doing a good job ----> http://www.this link is broken.au/dhb-extreme-we ... -overshoe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I quite like these craft ones, just wiggle delivery is AUD15, crazy...
Polygon COZMIC29 CX3.0