Front light

Mike Ayling

Front light

Postby Mike Ayling » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:22 pm

While not planning to tour in the dark I seek suggestions for a medium power (maybe 100-150 lumens ) front light but must run on AA or AAA cells.
USB is not for me because I do not drag a laptop or similar device around with me.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

}SkOrPn--7

Re: Front light

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi Mike for my everyday run of the mill front light I use one of these it has about 5 setting from 3 brightness and I think 2 strobe but don't hold me too that because I will have to check. It gives a good spread of about 3-4 wide and lights up to about 15 meters in front of you. Runs of AAA which I like because so does my rear lights. It comes with all the parts to mount on bike or helmet and for $24 USD it's bang for buck in my opinion. I can't remember but I think mine came with a head band as well. Just so you know I'm a long distance tourer so I want things to be reliable and it's no bigger than 2 match boxes stacked on each other. I use the slow strobe setting and no issues getting 3 months use from a set of batteries maybe longer. One other point it's waterproof.....

http://princetontec.com/eos-bike

Ricky

ShogunHy

Postby ShogunHy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:20 pm

Planet Bike Blaze - I got a 1W but the newer 2W is out and is good value for money mid range..
Shogun Metro SE Flat Bar Hybrid - Circa late 90's
Specialized Sirrus Comp - 2011

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:35 pm

Mike Ayling wrote:While not planning to tour in the dark I seek suggestions for a medium power (maybe 100-150 lumens ) front light but must run on AA or AAA cells.
USB is not for me because I do not drag a laptop or similar device around with me.

Mike
I opted for a headlamp, since it is more versatile than a bike light and easy enough to mount on the helmet if I ever get caught out when the sun goes down.

I got the spark AAA from thee guys, although there are a range of other products that you might find more suitable

http://www.eliteoutdoorgear.com.au/cate ... lamps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Go!Run!GAH!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:35 am

I know it's not in your spec Mike, but I have to say it: dy - na - mo.

I run mine whenever the bike is ridden, day and night. I have found very real advantages in the daytime use of the headlight.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:51 am

Thanks for all your replies.

Mike

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:53 am

il padrone wrote:I know it's not in your spec Mike, but I have to say it: dy - na - mo.

I run mine whenever the bike is ridden, day and night. I have found very real advantages in the daytime use of the headlight.
Good point about day time running Pete.

I have been running my motor vehicle headlights during the day for about ten years now.

Mike