Weight loss through cycling

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
winstonw

Re: Weight loss through cycling

Postby winstonw » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:22 pm

yes let's revisit this too.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:30 pm

and this also....

Why exercise won't make you thin
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... lic-health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:34 pm

winstonw wrote:and this also....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... lic-health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I constantly hear this rationale. And the point that it takes a lot of exercise to work of a slice of cake is correct.

However most people are overweight NOT because of a large imbalance between what they eat each day and what they burn but a minimal imbalance. If the difference was great then they would be ginormous in a very short time but most of us take years to be grossly overweight.

An daily imbalance of a few hundred calories is all it takes. Simply multiplying that small number by a large number - say 3650 or the number of days in a decade - and you have the mathematics of accumulation.

Personally I think that exercise is overrated and eating is under rated as factors. Sorta what the article is saying.

However it seems to me that the only way to balance ins and outs is feedback to your conscious - to notice if you are gaining and reduce food or increase exercise a little in the short term.

I simply weigh myself every morning immediately out of bed. And respond accordingly, again in a short term but not necessarily immediately. Response in what I eat and/or what I exercise. So the excess or shortfall weight will only be on me for a few days. I fluctuate a couple of kgs but not hold the extremes for much more than a day or two if I can help it. Certainly never weeks.

And, even if you are overweight, exercise will stand you in good stead. Possible even better than having a bmi of 22 but never actually stressing your body. Something that the tone of the article ignores.

And it is of no benefit to exercise more unless you are willing to ignore for a while the extra hunger. (The article is consistent with this.) Eventually that hunger falls back. Similar to fasting - if you fast it will not help you if you then slow down and reduce your work ethic because of the short term lethargy. The body takes a little time to become acclimatized to changes in either intake of calories or output of work.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:54 pm

Ok thoughts on this little doco? I have got around 1.25hrs through it and can see the sense in it. :|

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:29 pm

looks like some posts have disappeared. :shock:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Dunno? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:09 am

7 weeks vegan now... about 6 kgs lost with out dieting :P

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:25 am

Do you need to cook them or just raw?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:05 am

toolonglegs wrote:7 weeks vegan now... about 6 kgs lost with out dieting :P
You need to give the bacteria in your digestive system some time to catch up with the change in diet.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:42 pm

Actually the last two weeks haven't been able to stick to it as much as I want... restaurants every night usually means a bowl of pasta etc instead of my normal dinner routines. The pasta itself isn't too bad but the tomato sauces are always too oily etc. Couple of days home now before heading to Italia.
The riding has been spectacular ... but the pace has been pretty slow except when I get to sneak out on my own :wink: .

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:41 am

twizzle wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:7 weeks vegan now... about 6 kgs lost with out dieting :P
You need to give the bacteria in your digestive system some time to catch up with the change in diet.
Drinking a 20 banana smoothy reading this. I guess my digestion hasnt caught up after 12 years vegan and a BMI of 19-20 all year long. Yep, Tour De France BMI regardless of training despite obesity running in my family.

Calories aint calories. People want to believe 3000cals of insulin boosting animal products is the same as 3000cals of starches and fruits. No probodybuilder on earth would do a high carb starch/fruit based vegan diet as it would lower their fasting insulin levels too much and make them look like fitness models vs bloated bodybuilders longterm.

Can anyone name a single fat longterm high carb vegan? I can't. I put out a 10 000$ purse back in 2007 for anyone to show me one. Nobody ever has. Just like you wont' find a fat deer in nature but if you fed that deer steak and cream it would blow out in due time.

Humans are designed to be trim. We are designed to be plant carb eaters.
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:43 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
winstonw wrote:and this also....

I constantly hear this rationale. And the point that it takes a lot of exercise to work of a slice of cake is correct.

However most people are overweight NOT because of a large imbalance between what they eat each day and what they burn but a minimal imbalance. If the difference was great then they would be ginormous in a very short time but most of us take years to be grossly overweight.

An daily imbalance of a few hundred calories is all it takes. Simply multiplying that small number by a large number - say 3650 or the number of days in a decade - and you have the mathematics of accumulation.

Personally I think that exercise is overrated and eating is under rated as factors. Sorta what the article is saying.

However it seems to me that the only way to balance ins and outs is feedback to your conscious - to notice if you are gaining and reduce food or increase exercise a little in the short term.

I simply weigh myself every morning immediately out of bed. And respond accordingly, again in a short term but not necessarily immediately. Response in what I eat and/or what I exercise. So the excess or shortfall weight will only be on me for a few days. I fluctuate a couple of kgs but not hold the extremes for much more than a day or two if I can help it. Certainly never weeks.

And, even if you are overweight, exercise will stand you in good stead. Possible even better than having a bmi of 22 but never actually stressing your body. Something that the tone of the article ignores.

And it is of no benefit to exercise more unless you are willing to ignore for a while the extra hunger. (The article is consistent with this.) Eventually that hunger falls back. Similar to fasting - if you fast it will not help you if you then slow down and reduce your work ethic because of the short term lethargy. The body takes a little time to become acclimatized to changes in either intake of calories or output of work.
That sounds like a boring life. Base your daily menu and activities on what you weigh in the morning. Im lazy. I want to eat all I care for, do as much or little riding as I feel like. Minimise my risk of heart disease and stroke by following a heart healthy cholesterol free diet.
Vegan since 2001.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:38 pm

I tried some rice milk today, does that count? :mrgreen:

On a serious note, what is the shelf life of this milk, once opened? I ask because, I'm thinking of doing up a couple of litres of fruit smoothy to take away in the truck. :?

Foo
Goal 6000km

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Don't know about the rice milk specifically, but a fruit smoothie is going to oxidize pretty quick above 15C...and taste off. think of what happens to a banana once peeled, or an apple. they both go brown pretty quick.

I often take green smoothies to work in water bottles, stick in the fridge, and sip away during the day between meals. I find they last ok (taste and color), especially if I throw a peeled lemon into the blender. Just be wary smoothies can easily blow out in Calories, esp if you add nuts, seeds, and dried fruit on top of any milk. I'd suggest you wean yourself off the milks by decreasing % vs water.

Sometimes, I've even taken smoothies on a ride, but watered down significantly (otherwise fibre gets caught in the mouthpiece).

OGR have been doing vids with their chef, showing what the TdF lads eat for dinner. all good stuff. I was motivated tonight to do their roast beetroot with oil, honey, and salt.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:38 pm

durianrider wrote:insulin boosting animal products
That would be those "magic ponies" again? :roll:
Seriously mate, you can keep saying that over and over again, it still doesn't make it true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 pm

You need a mobile blender foo... I have one of those wand ones, I am going to take it away on my next tour :lol: .
You don't need any milk ( of any kind ) in smoothies, I am have about 3 or 4 a day with nothing more than 4 or 5 big bananas, a little bit of water and blueberries, strawberries... delicious!. Even more yummy if you add half a dozen dates or similar into the mix.
Got to admit I was skeptical of having 500-750 Kcal smoothies all day long... but seems to be working. My wife noted that for once I don't look gaunt when I am losing weight... actually she says I look the best I have in a while.
Just dished up guests and family pizza for lunch followed by a very yummy cake for dessert ... I wasn't even tempted. When I started originally I said I wouldn't be too strict on my diet, but actually being strict on being totally vegan makes it much easier than being tempted by something here or there with dairy or eggs in it. Still can't get over having zero cravings... that is the biggest surprise for me.
The hardest part is buying the 5 or 6 kilos of bananas / fruit every couple of days in a small french village!.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:20 am

I have a fridge in the truck Winstonw so temp is no problem but I do hate peel, so there won't be any of that going into my drinks, :lol: nor any nuts, just some fruit and maybe a teaspoon of sustagen.

That's a good idea TLL with the whizzer because I have a inverter also in the truck. 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:24 pm

I had my first coffee today in around 6 weeks....made on milk...the waitress basically got the order wrong. anyway rather than make a fuss, I drank it.....yaaccckkkkk! really bitter, acidic, stale. and the dairy milk just didn't taste healthy. back to soy based drinks.

TLL, do you think you are eating the same energy you are burnign off?

Foo, you could try doing some soups too...great to warm you up on these cooler days. Cauliflower; Sweet potato and leek, various asian flavors....throw them in the blender and stick em in yoru truck fridge....stick in a lidded drinking mug and stick in microwave, and you have a hot meal while driving. You can get very quick at making soup in bulk after a couple of goes. a quality stick blender can be more convenient than pouring into a blender x3. if you feel you need a bit more protein, throw some lentils in.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:57 am

I'll keep that in mind Wintonw. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:27 am

winstonw wrote:TLL, do you think you are eating the same energy you are burnign off?
Not counting calories so I don't know... but I never go too hungry. The beauty is binging on fruit and raw vegies doesn't do any damage.
I know I am eating a lot more than at other times I have lost weight... for me to usually lose weight I eat about 2000 kcals a day... these days I am probably somewhere between 3000-4000 Kcal per day.
On the 22nd of May ( the day after I went 80 10 10 vegan ) I was 100kgs again after creeping up from about 92 last August :oops: ... today I was 93 ( although that was after a ride, so probably closer to 94 ).
The beauty is it is so easy to sustain because I am not dieting... but the " where will you get your protein from?" etc have been going pretty steady since people realized what I was doing, even though I am trying to do 400-500kms per week and they smoke and drink with nearly zero exercise.
But lets give it a few more months before I swear by it, also from 22 June to 22 July I am away with the TDF so I can't eat the same as I can at home.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:22 pm

http://www.sbs.com.au/documentary/progr ... Obsessives
Tim believes he can help cure food and weight problems without focusing on food at all. And in this documentary he puts this science to the test in a ‘world first’ experiment. Will this new approach really make any difference to five people who have struggled with overeating, under eating, comfort eating and picky eating for decades?
Tim says: “Most diets frame weight as a problem – the goal is to lose something rather than gain something. And that’s not motivating. How many of us have ever said I’ll be happy when … when I’ve lost weight, when I’ve won the lottery, when I’m better looking? And it’s distinctly unhelpful. Because we never get there. So what that means is it feeds a constant cycle of dissatisfaction and disappointment. That’s not motivating or energising. In fact it’s the opposite. So what I’ve done is developed this program which turns that on his head and says let get happy first.”
Interesting theory, but in my case overeating had nothing to do with happiness and everything to do with bad habits. I broke my habit of overeating very simply by not overeating. I admit that it was a conscious choice driven by not wanting to experience the uncomfortable after effects of eating too much.

I agree with him that excess fat is not the "problem", it is the symptom of a problem or problems. Address the problem or problems and the excess fat symptom will resolve itself. In my case, that was eating a lower volume of food, eating more slowly and eating more nutritious food. Still, I can imagine that this program would help people who's underlying problem is emotional eating.
<removed by request>

AKO

Postby AKO » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Well I'd just like to relay my experience with weight loss. I've been riding for approximately 18 months and don't believe I've lost any weight as a result of it. My weight increased once I started doing a decent amount of kilometres which I put down to an increase in muscle mass. As the kilometres increased the only change I noticed was a dramatic decrease in energy levels after a ride to the point I was becoming sleepy. After discussions with a dietician at work, it became apparent I was not eating enough during and after a ride. Once I increased my food intake my energy levels returned but weight loss never came. I started to get serious (kind of) about diet a few months back and have dropped from 105kg to about 96kg since. I downloaded an app onto the phone called shapeup which is a food and excercise journal which showed me just how much I was over eating on days off the bike and under eating on days on the bike. Ive found small incremental changes in diet to work well as apposed to bulk wholesale changes off the bat ( less likely to succeed). It started with breakfast (changing from white bread to multigrain then once used to that dropping bacon, then dropping the number of eggs ect). I've even weened myself off full cream milk onto skim and reduced the number of sugars in my tea from 3 to none. I have only implemented one maybe two changes at a time and stick with it till I'm used to it before moving onto the next change. So far it is working for me. So when I hear people say you will see better results through diet than excercise, I believe them.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

andione1983

Postby andione1983 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:09 pm

AKO wrote:Well I'd just like to relay my experience with weight loss. I've been riding for approximately 18 months and don't believe I've lost any weight as a result of it. My weight increased once I started doing a decent amount of kilometres which I put down to an increase in muscle mass. As the kilometres increased the only change I noticed was a dramatic decrease in energy levels after a ride to the point I was becoming sleepy. After discussions with a dietician at work, it became apparent I was not eating enough during and after a ride. Once I increased my food intake my energy levels returned but weight loss never came. I started to get serious (kind of) about diet a few months back and have dropped from 105kg to about 96kg since. I downloaded an app onto the phone called shapeup which is a food and excercise journal which showed me just how much I was over eating on days off the bike and under eating on days on the bike. Ive found small incremental changes in diet to work well as apposed to bulk wholesale changes off the bat ( less likely to succeed). It started with breakfast (changing from white bread to multigrain then once used to that dropping bacon, then dropping the number of eggs ect). I've even weened myself off full cream milk onto skim and reduced the number of sugars in my tea from 3 to none. I have only implemented one maybe two changes at a time and stick with it till I'm used to it before moving onto the next change. So far it is working for me. So when I hear people say you will see better results through diet than excercise, I believe them.
you sound like a very similar situation to me.. However I have only been dieting and cycling for about 3 months I would agree dieting and excersice go hand in hand with loosing weight.. I was around 106kg and currently 99-100kg atm, i have done alot of what you have.. Gone onto skim milk, cut out takeaway completely more fruit and fresh foods... Cereals.. Etc.. And decent dinners after a 25-30klm ride each night to replace my carbs

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
Road Bike - Giant Advanced Defy 2 (2018)
MTB - Boardman Team Pro (2013)

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:47 am

Despite what Durian says (that vegans are able to consume more energy than they expend, and not gain weight), the only thing that guarantees weight loss is the creation of an 'energy in vs out' deficit.

For the majority of overweight people (many of whom may be pre-diabetic with fasting blood glucose >5.5mmol/dl), additional exercise leads to additional eating...and if you don't understand the energy content of various foods, you are likely to increase your intake of food types that at least match your additional energy expenditure.
i.e.

- in May I cycled almost 1700km when I normally cycle 700-800, but I lost absolutely nothing.

- I often see groups of retired Brisbane cyclists ride 20-30k, hoe into a plate of bacon, eggs, toast with butter, fried toms and mushies, and a large flat white or two; then ride back. the math - additional energy expended by riding 60k*15to20Cal/km depending on speed, hills, and bwt = 900-1200Cals, energy in 2coffee*150Cals+2eggs*90Cal+1*80gbacon*112+1tomato*25Cal+mushies*25Cal+oil*30Cal+2toast&butter*130 = 932 Calories

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:06 am

winstonw wrote:Despite what Durian says (that vegans are able to consume more energy than they expend, and not gain weight), the only thing that guarantees weight loss is the creation of an 'energy in vs out' deficit.

For the majority of overweight people (many of whom may be pre-diabetic with fasting blood glucose >5.5mmol/dl), additional exercise leads to additional eating...and if you don't understand the energy content of various foods, you are likely to increase your intake of food types that at least match your additional energy expenditure.
i.e.

- in May I cycled almost 1700km when I normally cycle 700-800, but I lost absolutely nothing.

- I often see groups of retired Brisbane cyclists ride 20-30k, hoe into a plate of bacon, eggs, toast with butter, fried toms and mushies, and a large flat white or two; then ride back. the math - additional energy expended by riding 60k*15to20Cal/km depending on speed, hills, and bwt = 900-1200Cals, energy in 2coffee*150Cals+2eggs*90Cal+1*80gbacon*112+1tomato*25Cal+mushies*25Cal+oil*30Cal+2toast&butter*130 = 932 Calories
+1. Spot on, energy in, energy out. The further I ride, the harder to control weight, let alone lose it. Pre-cycling I lost 1/3 of my body weight, post cycling, the longer rides I do, the harder it becomes :roll: