BB386EVO Frame and Dura Ace 9000 Cranks ….

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

BB386EVO Frame and Dura Ace 9000 Cranks ….

Postby PaulMoran » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:33 am

Hi Guys –

Im getting a new BH Ultralight frameset which runs the new 386EVO bottom bracket …

Im planning a build with the new DA9000 - I just want to clarify, for my own piece of mind …

The DA9000 bottom bearing …is still needed ? or do I just need adapters that the crank spindle sits in ?

I imagine the DA9000 cups as per here - http://www.wiggle.com.au/shimano-dura-a ... cket-cups/ will sit inside an adapter set as per here - http://wheelsmfg.com/386evo-adapter-for ... ranks.html

Is this correct ?

Thanks in advance
Paul
PaulMoran
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:33 am
Location: The Shire

by BNA » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:10 pm

BNA
 

Re: BB386EVO Frame and Dura Ace 9000 Cranks ….

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:10 pm

PaulMoran wrote:Is this correct ?


I'm guessing no. I believe that $50 adapter is instead of the shimano BB
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6114
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: BB386EVO Frame and Dura Ace 9000 Cranks ….

Postby PaulMoran » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:15 pm

jasonc wrote:
PaulMoran wrote:Is this correct ?


I'm guessing no. I believe that $50 adapter is instead of the shimano BB


Hi mate - if thats the case ...where exactly are the bearings located ?

"im confused" ...need an exploded diagram of al the bits and pieces so i can fully understand how this all goes together/works haha!

Cheers

Paul
PaulMoran
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:33 am
Location: The Shire

Re: BB386EVO Frame and Dura Ace 9000 Cranks ….

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:05 pm

jasonc wrote:
PaulMoran wrote:Is this correct ?


I'm guessing no. I believe that $50 adapter is instead of the shimano BB


Based on the other pics of the product (which is only a couple of adaptor rings and a handful of spacers) I would suggest you need a 386EVO BB + the adaptor. Q factor will be intersting given 386EVO is wider than BB30, FSA's 386 specific cranks have less curve on the crank arms for that exact reason. Shell is 20 odd mm wider and spindle is 15mm longer.

edit: and if you click on installation instructions on the wheels mfg link you get an exploded view :wink:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5707
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: BB386EVO Frame and Dura Ace 9000 Cranks ….

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:09 pm

^ +1

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/c ... ets-36660/

they are internal - wider frame. the site you linked to is for the 386 to PF86 adapter

the bikeradar link above suggests that PF86 for BB386 EVO is coming (i.e. no adapter required)
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6114
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: BB386EVO Frame and Dura Ace 9000 Cranks ….

Postby PaulMoran » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:44 pm

ok ...excellent! thanks guys -

i think ive got it ...

so - will still run a 'normal' PF BB with the relevant adapter from (as an example) here - http://www.fullspeedahead.com/category_ ... M-BRACKETS

So - if i am going to get a DA9000 group set ...the BB (italian or English) become redundant yeah ? I will need to also purchase a PF30 BB ...or other compatible DA9000 crankset BB

Sound good ?

cheers again!!
PaulMoran
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:33 am
Location: The Shire

Re: BB386EVO Frame and Dura Ace 9000 Cranks ….

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:28 pm

PaulMoran wrote:ok ...excellent! thanks guys -

i think ive got it ...

so - will still run a 'normal' PF BB with the relevant adapter from (as an example) here - http://www.fullspeedahead.com/category_ ... M-BRACKETS

So - if i am going to get a DA9000 group set ...the BB (italian or English) become redundant yeah ? I will need to also purchase a PF30 BB ...or other compatible DA9000 crankset BB

Sound good ?

cheers again!!



looks like you'll have to run a PFBB30 and then the adapter. the standard BB is redundant. you can send it to me. I'll send you lots of kudos.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6114
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: BB386EVO Frame and Dura Ace 9000 Cranks ….

Postby PaulMoran » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:42 pm

jasonc wrote:
PaulMoran wrote:ok ...excellent! thanks guys -

i think ive got it ...

so - will still run a 'normal' PF BB with the relevant adapter from (as an example) here - http://www.fullspeedahead.com/category_ ... M-BRACKETS

So - if i am going to get a DA9000 group set ...the BB (italian or English) become redundant yeah ? I will need to also purchase a PF30 BB ...or other compatible DA9000 crankset BB

Sound good ?

cheers again!!



looks like you'll have to run a PFBB30 and then the adapter. the standard BB is redundant. you can send it to me. I'll send you lots of kudos.


haha ....ill be buying the groupo piece-meal (as funds allow) ...so will just omit the BB ..sorry mate ...any recommendations on the best PFBB30 to run ?

cheers again
Paul
PaulMoran
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:33 am
Location: The Shire


Return to The Shed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit